Verbal Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarFanatic

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering if you guys could give me some hints and helpful techniques for the Verbal section. I'm doing fine in the other two sections, its just Verbal thats hurting my score. I tried using all techniques including PR, which didnt help me, and I have been using EK for a few weeks now, which seems to be the most popular, but I cant seem to get higher than an 8. I took AAMC 7R today and did horrible in Verbal. I dont know what I should do? Should I try and read through the questions first and then go to the passage? I need all the help I can get.

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

i am following EK religiously. my results are inconsistent (6-10), but at least i am finishing the test regularly, which is more than i can say with the other methods. you don't have much time left, so pick a method, and stick to it, especially on test day. dont go winging a new strategy you havent tested enough on test day.

CarFanatic said:
Hey guys,
I was wondering if you guys could give me some hints and helpful techniques for the Verbal section. I'm doing fine in the other two sections, its just Verbal thats hurting my score. I tried using all techniques including PR, which didnt help me, and I have been using EK for a few weeks now, which seems to be the most popular, but I cant seem to get higher than an 8. I took AAMC 7R today and did horrible in Verbal. I dont know what I should do? Should I try and read through the questions first and then go to the passage? I need all the help I can get.

Thanks a lot

as a verbal teacher for kaplan this past year, i can offer you one tried-and-true technique that we teach, and that i used religiously in preparing for the mcat. it's called post-phrasing, and it works like this:

after you take your full length, get your verbal section graded along with the rest and see how you did. then, go over your score report and mark down the questions you got wrong. then go look through your test booklet for questions you remember as being difficult - regardless of whether you got them right or wrong that day. you should have quite a list compiled by this point.

sit down in front of your computer, or at kaplan or at princeton review (if they do score reports like kaplan does, i dont know), and spend some time with the answer explanations. read the question from your test booklet, and note which answer you think is right. recite to yourself why you think it is right. then go down the line, and identify exactly why each of the other three answer choices are wrong. then, compare your thinking with that of the test maker by looking at the explanations. you will very quickly learn what a trick answer looks like (often includes the words "always" or "never," for instance), and how your thinking most often goes awry.

if you spend your last week of preparation doing this, i bet you'll see a jump of a point or two. good luck.

CarFanatic said:
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot

I think there isn't just one way of studying for this section. I'm not sure what you mean by PR but I would think that you need to pin down where your problem arises. For me, its staying focused enough to understand boring passages (thats where I've gotten the most wrong). Once I started working on that problem my score shot up by 2 points. So find your problem by looking at your previous mistakes and think of a way to compensate. ;)