Verbal Help?

Started by enigmalti
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

enigmalti

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the exam twice and did horrible both times on Verbal. I'm willing to spend some money if needed be to improve my 4-6's to at least an 8 (which I consistently scored on my practice exams). What are the strategies/tutors/classes that work for you? Thanks!
 
I took the exam twice and did horrible both times on Verbal. I'm willing to spend some money if needed be to improve my 4-6's to at least an 8 (which I consistently scored on my practice exams). What are the strategies/tutors/classes that work for you? Thanks!
You may want to check out The Princeton Review's MCAT Verbal Accelerator LiveOnline Course. It will help you sharpen your reading comprehension skills and raise your score in the MCAT Verbal Reasoning section. This course provides test-takers with additional training in critical reading techniques. Med school admission committees tend to weigh the Verbal section heavily, so it's important to get your best score!

Course Features:

- 15 hours of classroom instruction delivered through Elluminate®, our state-of-the-art online classroom
- 6 2.5 hour sessions
- Course taught by one of our premier Verbal MCAT instructors
- Verbal Accelerator Student Manual and Reader
- MCAT verbal practice passages exclusive to our MCAT Verbal Accelerator Course

Check out more details here: http://www.princetonreview.com/medic...celerator.aspx
 
You may want to check out The Princeton Review's MCAT Verbal Accelerator LiveOnline Course. It will help you sharpen your reading comprehension skills and raise your score in the MCAT Verbal Reasoning section. This course provides test-takers with additional training in critical reading techniques. Med school admission committees tend to weigh the Verbal section heavily, so it's important to get your best score!

Course Features:

- 15 hours of classroom instruction delivered through Elluminate®, our state-of-the-art online classroom
- 6 2.5 hour sessions
- Course taught by one of our premier Verbal MCAT instructors
- Verbal Accelerator Student Manual and Reader
- MCAT verbal practice passages exclusive to our MCAT Verbal Accelerator Course

Check out more details here: http://www.princetonreview.com/medic...celerator.aspx

I actually took the Princeton MCAT Hyperlearning Online course. I'm not sure why but my verbal actually went down. I am not blaming PR b/c I did not utilize the PR verbal techniques fully. I tried the previewing questions and skipping around the passages methods. However, they were just too time consuming for me so I abandoned them. I could barely finish the VR section as is with just reading the passages and answering the questions.

How is the Accelerator LiveOnline Course differ from the Hyperlearning course?
 
I took the exam twice and did horrible both times on Verbal. I'm willing to spend some money if needed be to improve my 4-6's to at least an 8 (which I consistently scored on my practice exams). What are the strategies/tutors/classes that work for you? Thanks!

I only took the verbal once and did pretty well on it (13). I didn't take any fancy classes either.

I found that it is REALLY helpful to get comfortable reading and thinking critically about scientific literature (i.e., journal articles). I would recommend going to your local school's library and reading the ones that interest you, and try to engage yourself with the reading. Your job on the MCAT is basically to think objectively about what is being said, even though some of it is really hard to follow.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think the best way to improve your scores is to do as many verbal practice tests (not passages) as possible. Do this in addition to taking full lengths. I brought my score from a 6 to a 10 so far, and I'm hoping that I will continue to improve. If possible take a verbal test every other day until your test date. Read the passages, then the questions. Look back if necessary. Practice averaging 7-8 minutes per passage.
 
Enigmalti,

The Princeton Review's LiveOnline Courses have instructors leading the classes and you follow their pace and instruction during the 105 classroom hours. It is like being in an actual classroom because you can interact with the instructors and they will be able to respond back.

With the Hyperlearning Courses you do the material at your own pace, but you still have an instructor that you are able to contact with any questions or concerns you may have during the duration of your course.

Both are great courses to take and both will prepare you for the real MCAT test. When deciding on which to take, consider what style of course would fit your schedule and life the best.

Good Luck!
-The Princeton Review