VERBAL: How do you know when it's okay to pick an answer that seems completely o

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

StayingFocused

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For verbal passages I have a very hard time with application questions. I want to relate the answer to the main idea or to something that occurred in the passage but a lot of times I am surprised and don't understand when the answer has something to do that is completely not related to the passage or when you have to base your idea of the passage to something else. I'm hesitant to pick those answers that are unrelated to the passage and a lot of times, those answers aren't right, but when they are, I just know that I would have NEVER had picked it.

How do you know when it's okay to pick an answer that seems completely out of scope for the passage?
For example, in EK101 the first test, Passage V Q. 27. I would have NEVER picked D. that modern judges have become more like gods with godlike attributes. It seems so far-off.
 
Why did it seem far off to you? Also, what answer choices of the four for that question did you immediately write off?

The question was a "main argument" type question, making it more likely for the answer choice to contain little to no statements taken directly from the passage. Maybe it seemed far off because it didn't paraphrase or copy verbatim something from the passage. You have to weigh what the entire passage was trying to convey in general. The answers that were designed to trip you up for these types of questions will probably A) take something said verbatim in the passage or B) mention a point made in the passage that is used as support for the main idea but does not consist of in its entirety the purpose of the passage.