Verbal - is 9 too low?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Antaar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my MCAT score around a month ago and I was satisfied with my overall 36R, but my breakdown is a 15BS, 12PS, 9VR:confused:, and writing R.

Is the 9 verbal worth retaking the exam for? Will it hurt my application at the top schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Killller score. Thats doooope.

Dont retake unless youre a perfectionist. You have high yield on the Verbal (you can improve most with that section), however, you have a high chance of dropping on BS (1 more question or 2). Its unbalanced.

You could retake but you might not get as lucky and get the same score with a more balanced sections.

You're fine. It's not guaranteed you'll improve if you take it again. I have a friend who scored 15BS 15PS but 8 VR and took it again to get the same score. Even if you go up in VR, you might go down in other areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Killller score. Thats doooope.

Dont retake unless youre a perfectionist. You have high yield on the Verbal (you can improve most with that section), however, you have a high chance of dropping on BS (1 more question or 2). Its unbalanced.

You could retake but you might not get as lucky and get the same score with a more balanced sections.

I've always heard VR was the toughest to change. I don't think the OP has "high yield" for VR. I think it's far more likely the sciences would drop. That said, I don't have the official guide w/ all those stats in front of me.