Verbal not Increasing!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrScrub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had a quick question. I just did another practice test, and both my PS and BS increased a lot. However, my VR has not increased sine I started the TPR course a month ago. I was wondering if anyone was in the same situation as me previously, and how you fixed it; or is in this situation now, and what you are planning on doing to fix it.

My plan was just to do as much as practice passages as possible (is this a good idea, or should I be working on developing new strategies?)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What is your verbal now? Not increasing from a 5 is different than not increasing from an 11.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you finishing with time left?

No, After I do 2 and half or three passages, I always only have around 25 minutes left, and then I start panicking, and I think that's why my score is so low. But I'm not sure if it could be some other factors as well :S

The way I get verbal reasoning done within the time limit is to write down a timing chart. I number out the passages (1-7) and give myself eight minutes on each passage. So I would write something like this on the top corner of my papers:

I 52
II 44
III 36
IV 28
V 20
VI 12
VII 04

The times written down indicate when you should move on to the next passage. This gives you about 4 minutes to read the passage (try for less) and 4 minutes to answer the questions. It's really hard to stay on the schedule, but it has improved my scores a lot (from a 6 to 11s and 12s).
I would recommend doing as many passages as you can, but take the time to go back and thoroughly look at what the question was actually asking, why the correct answer was right, and why the other answer choices were wrong. You'll start to notice some patterns that will help your score to improve.

I hope this helps!

If you're scoring in the 4-5 range, it's due to deficiencies in reading comprehension rather than just familiarity with the verbal section. I would recommend continuously practicing verbal passages every day, rather than doing full practice tests.

No, After I do 2 and half or three passages, I always only have around 25 minutes left, and then I start panicking, and I think that's why my score is so low. But I'm not sure if it could be some other factors as well :S

Doing 2 and a half passages with 25 minutes left is simply too slow. Increase your reading comprehension speed or dont spend as much time on the questions.

Spending all this time on the first half is causing u to panic and that has drastic effects on your ability to reason