Verbal- Pick between easy and hard passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardworker101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys TPR says to read first and last paragraph and decide if it's easy do it, if hard leave it and come back after doing easy ones.

Have anyone tried it?
Does it work?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

BrettBatchelor said:
Waste of time.
Agreed. Kaplan always stressed reviewing all of the passages and giving them a difficulty rank (1-3), then doing the easier ones first and harder ones last. During all of my practice exams, I had extra time left at the end of verbal reasoning. Because of this, I just decided to do all of the passages in order since I would have to do them at some point anyway.

The only situation in which I would suggest doing the passages out of order is if you are sure you will not have enough time to finish.

reading the first and last passages could take a good portion of your time away.
i wouldn't recommend it.

i decided which passages to do first by figuring out whether they were humanities/natural sci/social sci (usually just a very quick scan on first couple of sentences). i tend to do the worst on humanities so i saved those for last.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that sounds like a huge waste of time. In the amount of time you read those paragraphs, you could have read a whole extra passage.

I found that most of the "strategies" TPR and Kaplan teach for verbal only end up eating more time and really doesn't help me. When I took it i just ended up going straight through the passages one by one, no circle sentences etc etc.

kevster2001 said:
I found that most of the "strategies" TPR and Kaplan teach for verbal only end up eating more time and really doesn't help me. When I took it i just ended up going straight through the passages one by one, no circle sentences etc etc.
Exactly! That's the EK strategy. Don't waste your time circeling, annotating, etc. Just read it and answer the questions. You should be fine.