Verbal Reasoning Clarity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Synapsis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of people suggest that if you don't think you were paying attention when you were reading a sentence, you should keep reading. Doesn't this hinder your ability to understand the passage and effectively answer questions?

And in addition, on a smaller note, some new vocab words can be presented and later defined. Do you keep reading and expect to find the explanation later or directly try to think of the meaning at the moment (or wait until you get asked a question on it)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends on whether the idea in the sentence that you missed will be asked about or whether that sentence is important in understanding the main idea. Sometimes you get lucky and miss a filler. I would go back since I don't see how it can hurt you.

If there's a word that you have never seen before, highlight it. Simple. A question may be asked about it.

Personally, I don't recall ever seeing an explanation of a word used in the passage later in the passage. As long as you understand the sentence without the word, I'd say you're good.