Quantcast

verbal reasoning

Join BeMo MCAT MasterMind Club®
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eminem86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what resources can i use other than kaplan and examkracker when studying for the verbal reasoning section?

sagtig

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went on Amazon, and searched for some Verbal review books, and the Ivy Hall Mcat Verbal Reasoning Mastery looks promising

theloveprotein

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are a few online sources that may help your VR: New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Economist, Gladwell-Opinion , Foreign Affairs, New England Journal of Medicine. :laugh:

aevea

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went on Amazon, and searched for some Verbal review books, and the Ivy Hall Mcat Verbal Reasoning Mastery looks promising

I've bought and read the Ivyhall Review Verbal Reasoning Mastery book and think that although it's an interesting read, it probably won't help most test-takers. The book's central thrust is creating a "mental landscape" as you read. So, for every idea in the passage you make a mental symbol and place the symbol into a "mental arena", such as an image of the front yard of your house.

My problem with the methodology is two-fold. First, it takes a lot of work/commitment to even begin to develop competency at this. Being able to do it fast is even more difficult. The book admits that you need to start working on their reading technique at least 9 months before your test date.

Secondly, while mnemonic visualization is good for retaining facts and details, it actually seems to inhibit conceptual understanding and idea integration. Sure, some MCAT Verbal Reasoning questions ask you directly about the details, but the more challenging questions ask you to integrate details with main ideas and/or new information. If you get bogged down in the details, you're not going to be able to put it all together.

Although I think it's possible to use the Ivyhall method to improve your verbal score, it seems like a lot of effort for little reward.

ezsanche

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
that book is wack
The best thing I would recommend is to get a whole bunch of books from different sources such as KAPLAN,PRINCETON, GS, AAMC, EK, COLUMBIA, ARCO and do those passages. If you want more practice do the GRE and GMAT verbal passages, although the passages are slighty shorter about 250 to 450 words and the questions are slighty different. If you still want some more practice get some LSAT passages. Dont do any SAT passages because they are too easy and the format differs from the MCAT format too much.

Last edited:

wait4me

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
do AAMC verbal.... i wish i did earlier! I think their passages are the hardest. I studied with TPR and EK and I feel like their passages were a lot more interesting (which made them a lot easier for me).