verbal strategies... help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flaahless

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm averaging 12s and 13s on my phys and bio sections of the practice aamc cbts but my verbal stays at 9.

I'm understanding the passages and getting the main ideas, however, once I narrow down the answer choices to the credited response and the distractor, i more often than not choose the distractor. Aside from going against my natural intuition, I don't know how to accurately choose the credited response.

I would appreciate it if yall could share your strategies with me.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As an experiment, why don't you try just that?

If you choose the distractor *all* the time, then why not try one test where you just choose the other answer?

The problem is that if you go against your intuition, you might not be able to even narrow it down to 2 choices.

So... it's worth trying, but you'll know if it doesn't work because you'll be second-guessing yourself every single question.

What I would suggest instead is - well, you know it's a distractor. Learn to identify the distractors immediately. I remember when I practiced for verbal, there were some question types you could immediately cross out. Too general, too "BS-sounding", etc.