Verbal timing

Started by globy321
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

globy321

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How often should you check the time during verbal so you don't run out of time? If I check the time too often I get distracted but if I don't check the time I seem to not finish the passages in time.
 
You want to develop your internal clock to get a feel for how long you should be spending on each passage or two. Generally I check if I feel my internal clock is "off" but at minimum I check once after I am done reading and once after I finish the questions. Towards the end, I check more often, like in the last passage/8 min.

edit: and i strive to keep to the minimum # of times i check.
 
How often should you check the time during verbal so you don't run out of time? If I check the time too often I get distracted but if I don't check the time I seem to not finish the passages in time.

I made sure that I finished the 20th question before 30 minutes were up. That was the only time (besides the last minute or two) that I ever looked at the clock.
 
I try to make sure I'm on the 4th passage and past the 20th Q at the 30 min mark, then I try to get to passage 6 with 20 minutes on the clock. This leaves the last 2 passages with extra time and a bit of time to go back over the toughest 3-5 Qs at the end. Getting to the last passage with little time adds a lot of stress and may ruin your performance on it.