Verified 6/25, no interview yet...chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patrick_star

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Residency: NY
AADSAS mail-out date:
6/18
Application complete date: 6/25
GPA (science, overall):
3.2, 3.37
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/19/22

Freshman: 2.95
Sophomore: 3.38
Junior: 3.82

Hi all, I submitted my AADSAS application on 6/18 and have yet to hear anything back from any of the 14 schools I applied to (exception being the “continuing review” email from UB). I’m beginning to wonder if all hope is lost or if I really am being considered for the very last seat available lol. Is there a cause for concern, or should I just continue to be patient?

Note: I had an average freshman year, and a bad first semester sophomore year, but since then have followed an extremely positive upward trend, receiving deans list honors in the last 3 consecutive semesters, including A’s in a few upper level Bio classes. I have 100+ shadowing hours (between general dentists, dental residents, and an endodontist) and am currently involved in 6 clubs on campus that I have been a part of for around 2 years, each of which does considerable volunteer work with the community and children of lower socioeconomic background. I believe my PS and LOR are very solid as well. I was okay with my DAT scores, I know they aren’t the best but definitely better than what I anticipated. What do you guys think?

I applied to the following: UB, Tufts, BU, UNE, UCONN, Stony Brook, Touro, VCU, LECOM, Rutgers, Maryland, Pitt, Nova, and Michigan.

Finally, if I don’t get in this cycle, I plan on entering a post bacc or a masters program, and would love to get some advice on what path to take should it come down to it. Anything helps!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Update: still no interviews and no contact from any schools yet... Should I throw in the towel yet and start considering a masters or should I hope for a post-dec interview?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: still no interviews and no contact from any schools yet... Should I throw in the towel yet and start considering a masters or should I hope for a post-dec interview?
I wouldn't give up!!! You have average stats and it seems many schools are just now getting around to inviting those with stats similar to yours (I saw a lot of first interview invites this week for those with stats like yours and mine). I also believe that post-December there will be a lot more invitations after the first round of acceptances and refusals of those acceptances. Keep your head up and stay positive!!

When does one have to apply for a Masters program, do you know? I'm interested in knowing that too....but I'm planning for the best :)

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't give up!!! You have average stats and it seems many schools are just now getting around to inviting those with stats similar to yours (I saw a lot of first interview invites this week for those with stats like yours and mine). I also believe that post-December there will be a lot more invitations after the first round of acceptances and refusals of those acceptances. Keep your head up and stay positive!!

When does one have to apply for a Masters program, do you know? I'm interested in knowing that too....but I'm planning for the best :)
I believe it varies by school, but the research I have done online generally says that applications are open from January to May, could be wrong though!

Curious to know what your stats are if you don’t mind. Best of luck!

I believe it varies by school, but the research I have done online generally says that applications are open from January to May, could be wrong though!

Curious to know what your stats are if you don’t mind. Best of luck!
18 AA, 18 TS, 28 PAT

3.7 overall GPA

And, thanks :)

It seems pre-december invites are winding down, but there's a lot more to come. Only 10 schools have filled in pre-december invites according to that thread we've got going, so I would sit tight at least until January.

I have very similar GPAs, even down to the magnitude of the upward trend. At a few interviews, they've mentioned our GPA is "good," "what you need" and "fine." Now these obviously aren't great praises, but with that, if this cycle does not work out, my plan is to retake the DAT. It seems like it would do the trick and and it's a lot cheaper and faster than a post-bacc or masters.

Wish you the best of luck, hang in there !

Since you have low GPA and DAT, I think it's hard to get an interview. Since you haven't get rejection yet, so u might get interview after December. If not, just do post-bac to raise your GPA and retake DAT if you can

It seems pre-december invites are winding down, but there's a lot more to come. Only 10 schools have filled in pre-december invites according to that thread we've got going, so I would sit tight at least until January.

I have very similar GPAs, even down to the magnitude of the upward trend. At a few interviews, they've mentioned our GPA is "good," "what you need" and "fine." Now these obviously aren't great praises, but with that, if this cycle does not work out, my plan is to retake the DAT. It seems like it would do the trick and and it's a lot cheaper and faster than a post-bacc or masters.

Wish you the best of luck, hang in there !
which schools are the 10 schools?

I have a 3.44 oGPA and 3.12 sGPA. My DAT is 18AA, 19TS, 20PAT. I applied to 5 schools and have received 2 interviews from Maryland (November) and Touro (January). Don't worry, interviews will come! My app was complete 09/03

Reactions: 1 users
I have a 3.44 oGPA and 3.12 sGPA. My DAT is 18AA, 19TS, 20PAT. I applied to 5 schools and have received 2 interviews from Maryland (November) and Touro (January). Don't worry, interviews will come! My app was complete 09/03

How long did it take for Maryland to send you the supplemental application after you're application was complete?

Hey Were you just completely ghosted for like those 4 months? also, did you have anything that really stood out on your application? I applied in July, and i havent heard back any rejections or interviews yet and sometimes its so hard to keep my hope up..

Hey Were you just completely ghosted for like those 4 months? also, did you have anything that really stood out on your application? I applied in July, and i havent heard back any rejections or interviews yet and sometimes its so hard to keep my hope up..
So I sent my application mid August but wasn't complete until 09/03 bc I had issues with my transcript. I was lucky to get an interview from Maryland about 2 weeks after I was completely verified, and then was on the dark for a month until I received my second interview from Touro. I think I had a pretty solid personal statement and I know that 2 of my LORs were very strong, one from a dentist I was a dental assistant for 330 hours and another from my professor. I am also from Central America and speak 3 languages. I have a lot more dental assisting experience from 2 other practices and a bunch of volunteering. Idk exactly what "made me stand out" but I just feel super lucky and happy considering my low DAT and below average GPAs. I dont know your stats but remember that you only need one interview and one acceptance letter. I know it's super discouraging seeing so many ppl getting their 8th or 10th interview but all of them can only attend one school. It doesn't matter how long you wait but as long as there are no rejections, you are still a prospective student! Pls dont lose hope, we're all in this together

Update: received an interview on 2/8, waitlisted 2/15 and accepted today! It was my only interview invite and my only acceptance, so never give up on yourself bc you never know what could happen!!

Reactions: 11 users
Update: received an interview on 2/8, waitlisted 2/15 and accepted today! It was my only interview invite and my only acceptance, so never give up on yourself bc you never know what could happen!!

Congratulations. You made it :)

Can I ask what dental school this is? I have roughly around the same stats as yours and I been worried about my application since I plan on applying the 2020 cycle

Congrats!! Love this story and others like it. Many people would have tried to say that you NEED a masters degree or post-bacc and to possibly retake the DAT because it isn't 21+. So happy for you! I have a very similar story, but with a lower DAT haha. This is exactly why I started consulting and helping people in this situation. Congrats again!