Vermont vs Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DominusFatiMei

Reaction score
Leaning towards Tulane due to familiarity with the program and location but there are certain advantages that are notable at Vermont. Personal background: interested in pursuing a surgical specialty. Will be moving with significant other. From the Southeast.

Tulane
(Pros)
- True pass/fail
- Great matching in surgical specialties
- Familiar with program and professors. Already have friends there.
- More diverse patient population.
- New Orleans is closer to home (flight still required). Significant other may feel closer to home here. - Warmer climate similar to our hometown.
- New Orleans has a unique and diverse community. New Orleans seems like a fun place to live in your 20's.
-Tulane seems to have more name recognition nationally.

(Cons)
- new merger with LCMC may lessen clinical opportunities for students. They are shifting their main teaching hospital to a different hospital further from campus.
- High tuition ($71,000 per yr)
- Outdated facilities
- Crime rates in New Orleans

Vermont
(Pros)
-True pass/fail
- Only health system in the state of Vermont. Plentiful clinical opportunities.
- Beautiful facilities
- Better research funding.
- Affiliated with Danbury hospital which is a great teaching hospital.
-Student told me many professors are well connected and trained at Harvard and Yale med, students can do remote projects at these schools.
- Very low crime rate
- Impressive matching (but lower surgery matches)

(Cons)
- Also expensive ($67,000 per yr). Living expenses may be slightly more expensive than New Orleans.
- More primary care focused.
- Further away from home.
- Cold winters (not used to this).
- Less diverse population (I grew up in a metropolitan area).
- Vermont reputation more limited to Northeast region.
- Highly liberal political environment. (consider myself more moderate)
- Burlington is a smaller city with less to do.

All in all both are great schools with similar reputations. I am familiar with the program at Tulane but certain features like research and facilities may be better at Vermont. Both are true pass/fail and have similar curriculum. Surgical specialty matching may be better at Tulane. Location-wise New Orleans has the edge. Clinical opportunities are better at Vermont in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would choose Tulane since it sounds like you and your SO would like the weather a lot more.

Having friends in the program and familiarity with the professors is a big plus.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like Tulane would be more comfortable for you and your SO!

Reactions: 1 user