Version of MSAR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackyLin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering which version of MSAR should I plan to get if I am planning to apply in fall 2011 for admission in fall 2012? MSAR 2009-2010? or 2010-2011 which should be out soon? or even MSAR 2011-2012 which should be out next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Any version will do, but the newer the better. If you are applying in two years, maybe wait until April, when the new MSAR comes out. Then you can look at it now and use it when you apply about 18ish months from now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I was wondering which version of MSAR should I plan to get if I am planning to apply in fall 2011 for admission in fall 2012? MSAR 2009-2010? or 2010-2011 which should be out soon? or even MSAR 2011-2012 which should be out next year?

Any semi-recent version will be fine. As stated ^, the newer the better. Though really, I doubt most schools stats swing wildly in a few years.

Given the cost of applying to schools through AMCAS and the cost of submitting secondaries, and the cost of traveling to schools for interviews, the cost of the Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR), which is about $30, is well worth the money. If you avoid one bad choice (applying to a school that is a bad fit due to "out of state" issues, religious philosophy, location, etc) you will have more than made up the cost of the book. Sure, you can find this stuff on line but the book is far more efficent that surfing thorugh websites which are often less than intuitive.

If you want to start school in 2011, buy the edition that comes out in April/May 2010, You'll need it to direct your applications this spring/summer and to review before interviews next fall/winter.

Last edited:
Given the cost of applying to schools through AMCAS and the cost of submitting secondaries, and the cost of traveling to schools for interviews, the cost of the Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR), which is about $30, is well worth the money. If you avoid one bad choice (applying to a school that is a bad fit due to "out of state" issues, religious philosophy, location, etc) you will have more than made up the cost of the book. Sure, you can find this stuff on line but the book is far more efficent that surfing thorugh websites which are often less than intuitive.
Lizzy is good and wise. :thumbup:

Also check your library. My school has the 2009-2010 edition. It's old but it saved me a few bucks.

If you want to start school in 2011, buy the edition that comes out in April/May 2010, You'll need it to direct your applications this spring/summer and to review before interviews next fall/winter.

so if I plan to start school in fall of 2012, I should wait until next year to buy it?

Any semi-recent version will be fine. As stated ^, the newer the better. Though really, I doubt most schools stats swing wildly in a few years.

year by year they slowly creep up...

I looked at the 3 most recent versions of the MSAR in my school's pre-health office, and was able to watch Ohio State's MCAT median go from 33, to 34, to 35...it was scary

Does anyone know if there will be differences in the 2011-2012 version vs 2010-2011? I purchased the 2011-2012 from Amazon.com, but it's not available as of now and won't be for an indefinite period of time...

Does anyone know if there will be differences in the 2011-2012 version vs 2010-2011? I purchased the 2011-2012 from Amazon.com, but it's not available as of now and won't be for an indefinite period of time...

should have bought it direct from aamc, b/c I got mine in the mail yesterday :p

Sorry, don't know the difference cuz I haven't seen the old one.

I can't recall many specific numbers, but I saw a decent number of slight increases in MCAT medians in the newer version. I'm sure some decreased too, but I haven't compared any schools with both books in front of me. In the new book, WashU has a median MCAT of 37 and Michigan a 36. GPAs seem higher across the board as well.

Yeah definitely try to cancel your order with Amazon. I got mine from AAMC a couple days ago (2? 3? can't remember) as well.

Hmm, Thanks for your input! I shopped around and got it at Barnes and Noble for 13.50. I'm willing to wait til 28 April for the book to get shipped, as I won't have an idea of where I can apply until I get my MCAT score around then..not to mention, i have our wonderful spreadsheet that'll guide where I can actually go.