This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ceelo300

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are 54 classes (including all pre-reqs, upper-level sciences, etc., all in which someone maintains an uninterrupted 4.0) enough to offset 12 F's, and 10 Cs, and 4 Ds from 10 years ago?

(120-ish credits of art school; was in an abusive relationship, had to get help and legal intervention, then had to go to heal physically/mentally... then 170-ish credits of GPA cleanup)
That's almost 300 credits, with a stark line down the middle.

10 years ago: GPA = 1.2
Post-Bacc: GPA = 4.0.
sGPA=3.95

cGPA=2.7

MCAT 517

ECs
~140 hours volunteering at battered women's shelter
~200 hours volunteering with domestic abuse hotline
~110 hours shadowing MDs (ND, DO, and Family pracitce)
WFR certified (trained in Rocky Mountains)
...etc.

What are my chances of getting into low-tier medical school? Will my GPA from 10 years ago sink me?

Thank yeh.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
anyone??

I want to add that I don't like calling attention to the fact that I was stuck in an abusive relationship for so long, and was too fearful and isolated to disembark when I ought to have. I don't want to make people uncomfortable; I have never talked about what I went through (except to authorities, parents, and current partner). Hopefully, it doesn't make anybody uncomfortable? It would make me uncomfortable. It's a weird subject to broach, and I truly wish I could just move on from it.

I am not necessarily looking forward to discussing it with Adcoms, if the time comes. But these med school people need to hear the full story, and my grades warrant an explanation. They require it. While there is no shame in putting up with abuse, there is certainly no pride in it either. I do not wish to use it as a means to an end... I don't want to feel like I am excusing my academic failures. No career should be built on a victim mentality.

But I'm here, asking for advice. I don't want any sympathy, please. This question pertains purely to logistics, and whether or not I ought to pursue another career.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are 54 classes (including all pre-reqs, upper-level sciences, etc., all in which someone maintains an uninterrupted 4.0) enough to offset 12 F's, and 10 Cs, and 4 Ds from 10 years ago?

(120-ish credits of art school; was in an abusive relationship, had to get help and legal intervention, then had to go to heal physically/mentally... then 170-ish credits of GPA cleanup)
That's almost 300 credits, with a stark line down the middle.

10 years ago: GPA = 1.2
Post-Bacc: GPA = 4.0.
sGPA=3.95

cGPA=2.7

MCAT 517

ECs
~140 hours volunteering at battered women's shelter
~200 hours volunteering with domestic abuse hotline
~110 hours shadowing MDs (ND, DO, and Family pracitce)
WFR certified (trained in Rocky Mountains)
...etc.

What are my chances of getting into low-tier medical school? Will my GPA from 10 years ago sink me?

Thank yeh.

Do not count or mention the naturopathy shadowing.

Wait, are women considered a URM in medicine?

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Oregon
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Boston University
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
NOVA MD
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Kaiser, Roseman)
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools.