Very concerned.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To counter other's points- residency does NOT have to be 5 years.

I Second this! We had a resident go straight into private practice from residency last year and another this year. Neither did fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

So, the answer here may be to get into a residency program that has consistently produced pathologists that get jobs after going through THEIR residency program. You would have to ask around for that info on each program, but I bet that if their grads get jobs, then so will you.
This is logical, no??

It's hard to get a straight answer on this from programs - most programs have data on where their trainees went directly from residency, but it is usually a fellowship. If it's a place where there are lots of in house fellowships you might be more informed though. I think, for programs, it is kind of hard to keep track of where people go once they leave unless the graduate takes it upon themself to stay in touch. I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, just that it doesn't happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to get a straight answer on this from programs - most programs have data on where their trainees went directly from residency, but it is usually a fellowship. If it's a place where there are lots of in house fellowships you might be more informed though. I think, for programs, it is kind of hard to keep track of where people go once they leave unless the graduate takes it upon themself to stay in touch. I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, just that it doesn't happen.

That is a great point, yaah. I am hoping that the path wiki can eventually contain this sort of info (only if people take the time to contribute of course). One program (The Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX) has some info of this sort, but like you said, many programs lose track of grads after their fellowship.

As was stated in another thread, the idea of the ABP keeping track of board diplomats seems like a good way to track the job market situation. But ABP seems to have enough trouble keeping up with getting board exam applications straightened out each year, so that might not be feasible.

I happened across this post (excerpted) in the gas forum and it warmed my heart a little bit. Thought I'd share:

panetrain said:
One more side note...those of you who are using gaswork.com as a measure of the job market...keep this in mind...most of those jobs are outdated and have filled, have been posted for years for a reason, are fake posts from job recruiters in an attempt to get your information logged into their system, are in small **** town USA, have three or four year buy-ins that will only be disclosed at the interview, have listed the highest salary obtainable that requires taking extra call, extra weekends and no vacation, the ones that are advertising 8-10 weeks vacation require you to buy the vacation time for 8-10K/week from the practice or management firm or hosptial. There are way too many qualified MD grads coming out of residency and fighting for a few good jobs. If your CV ends up on the desk of a group president who has 30 CV's from MD gas program grads your toasties.

It may not be feasible for you to do a second residency. Because you Matched into a 3 year residency, Medicare will only fund 3 years. It would be a different story if you had done neurosurgery (Medicare funds 7 years), finished your 3rd year and then went into a 4 year pathology residency. As it is, you'll have to find a program willing to fund your training in full without Medicare. Not impossible, but another uphill battle. Anecdotally, I have met 1 pathologist who went into it because he didn't like OBGYN. He doesn't seem to like pathology either.

We had a resident go straight to private practice a couple of years ago as well. Maybe not common, but it happens.

I met an attending from, I think, U of Arkansas, at USCAP this year who said their residents routinely get job offers right out of residency. He says it's all regional.

I met an attending from, I think, U of Arkansas, at USCAP this year who said their residents routinely get job offers right out of residency. He says it's all regional.

Interesting. I know someone from U Arkansas. I will see if she knows the deal with all of that. Our resident went to a smaller town in upstate NY. It was a pretty nice set up for him.