Very Confused! Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peepadoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me get this straight:

Let's say I'm applying into a PM&R program that offers both categorical spots (that include PGY-1) and advanced spots (start at PGY-2).

Now I want to do my PGY-1 spot somewhere else for variety's sake (so I am interested in the advanced position). So I rank the advanced over the categorical.

Assume the PM&R program really likes me.

Scenario #1: Given the way the match works, if I don't match into a preliminary PGY-1 spot on my own, but match into the program's advanced spot, I won't have a first-year position.

Scenario #2: If I had ranked the categorical position over the advanced, and matched, then I would not need to scramble.

Scenario #1: Not good
Scenario #2: Fine

Why can't you link PGY-1 and PGY-2? This is crazy.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Keeping in mind that I have no way of knowing how strong an applicant you are...it sure sounds like a big chance to take to risk having to scramble into a PGY-1 position, all "for variety's sake", when you could be guaranteed PGY-1 thru 4 by matching into a categorical position. To my understanding, if you secure an advanced position through the Match, but do not successfully match or scramble into a PGY-1 spot, it will jeopardize your advanced position.

That being said, of course program ranking is a very personal decision, and you have to do what feels best for you, because you're the one who has to live with the outcome. Best of luck to you in making your list!

You are correct. I too have the same issue. would prefer to do pgy1 at a different hospital in same city, but ranking ther advanced with the pgy1 makes me vulnerable to having to scramble as opposed to ranking the categorical.

One thing you can do is contact the adv place tell them you are intereste din doing this and seeing what kind of pull they have at the prelim or contacting the prelim, sorta play dumb and ask if your interpretation of teh scenario is correct. They may give you a response hat would make you feel more comfortbale with taking the risk. of course never any guarantees.