Very discouraged by friend's rejections - DAT R.C. maybe key?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

craigory

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a close friend who has a 3.5 GPA (roughly same for Science GPA) and a double major (I am only a single major). He is also a graduate of UIC, like me. We both took community college credits and we were both on the "five year plan". He had a 16 for his DAT, and midway through last cycle (November) took his DAT for the second time and got a 19 AA. He received a 23 BIO, 23 PAT, 24 ORGO, 22 G.Chem but a 15 R.C. and a 15 Q.R. (he's a non-native speaker from India).

He was rejected by all 9 schools he applied to - no interviews.

I am applying this cycle, but I have a lower GPA (3.08 or 3.1, can't remember), lower science GPA (~3.3), and less dental experience than my friend. I have a 20 AA, but lower science scores. I got a 15 in Q.R. (lost track of time), but a 23 in R.C., 21 BIO, 19 G.Chem, and I think a 20 or 21 in Orgo. (Don't have my printout with me ATM).

If someone with a 3.5 and a 19AA is getting rejected without even an interview, I feel almost like it is hopeless to battle against my GPA. The only thing that gives me hope is that perhaps he wasn't considered because his DAT retake was so late in the cycle, and I hear that a low R.C. is frowned upon heavily.

I guess I just need to hear some opinions, I'm meeting with the admissions director for UIC to discuss this soon, but it might not be until after the 15th, in which case I will have already spent a ton of money on something that might be pointless!

Members don't see this ad.

was he considered an international student?

That's another issue that I am unclear on. He has some form of green card or something (I am so out of touch on the emigration process). When I asked him about this he told me he "basically is a citizen". He's not here on a student visa or anything, but maybe he is not technically considered a citizen? I will have to probe into that a little more, because I know that is a huge factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a close friend who has a 3.5 GPA (roughly same for Science GPA) and a double major (I am only a single major). He is also a graduate of UIC, like me. We both took community college credits and we were both on the "five year plan". He had a 16 for his DAT, and midway through last cycle (November) took his DAT for the second time and got a 19 AA. He received a 23 BIO, 23 PAT, 24 ORGO, 22 G.Chem but a 15 R.C. and a 15 Q.R. (he's a non-native speaker from India).

He was rejected by all 9 schools he applied to - no interviews.

I am applying this cycle, but I have a lower GPA (3.08 or 3.1, can't remember), lower science GPA (~3.3), and less dental experience than my friend. I have a 20 AA, but lower science scores. I got a 15 in Q.R. (lost track of time), but a 23 in R.C., 21 BIO, 19 G.Chem, and I think a 20 or 21 in Orgo. (Don't have my printout with me ATM).

If someone with a 3.5 and a 19AA is getting rejected without even an interview, I feel almost like it is hopeless to battle against my GPA. The only thing that gives me hope is that perhaps he wasn't considered because his DAT retake was so late in the cycle, and I hear that a low R.C. is frowned upon heavily.

I guess I just need to hear some opinions, I'm meeting with the admissions director for UIC to discuss this soon, but it might not be until after the 15th, in which case I will have already spent a ton of money on something that might be pointless!
A lot of schools probably view an AA of 16 on the DAT as unacceptable. And retaking the exam in november was probably too late - consider that it takes a while for the new scores to reach the schools, and then the schools have to process this info in a committee meeting or something.

If you're interested in dentistry then apply. Why would you let somebody else's experience influence your future?

I applied before with an 18AA and was summarily rejected. There is a big difference for me on my income between applying to two in-state schools and applying to 10-15 schools (which would have to all be on credit cards). I'm still applying no matter what, it's just the extent to which I apply that will change.

I'm just saying I'm very discouraged by his rejection.

I applied before with an 18AA and was summarily rejected. There is a big difference for me on my income between applying to two in-state schools and applying to 10-15 schools (which would have to all be on credit cards). I'm still applying no matter what, it's just the extent to which I apply that will change.

I'm just saying I'm very discouraged by his rejection.

Don't be discouraged! if you love dentistry, then just apply for it. My friend with 15 R.C still got accepted this year. Did you get any interview when you applied? I have 18 AA (with 15 RC) and still got 3 interviews, even though I'm in the waiting list for all. I think you should try to apply in June and apply 15 schools. Believe in yourself, and you will make it!! Gud luck to you!

Your friend probably didnt get any interviews because of the 16 DAT. By the time he had retaken it and sent the scores in, most of the schools likely had most of their classes filled already.

You have pretty decent DAT scores (the 15 in QR isnt that big of a deal). Your GPA may hold you back a little... but dont let it stop you from applying. Get your application in early and see what happens. If you dont get in this time around, do some post bac or get a masters and get a better GPA.

Anything less than a 17 is unacceptable for total DAT score. Immediate rejection at some schools.

RC is most important section for most schools.
Then PAT for some and some don't look at PAT more than once.
They want good scores all the way through, not just sciences.
GOOD LUCK, you got a good shot.

Your friend probably didnt get any interviews because of the 16 DAT. By the time he had retaken it and sent the scores in, most of the schools likely had most of their classes filled already.

You have pretty decent DAT scores (the 15 in QR isnt that big of a deal). Your GPA may hold you back a little... but dont let it stop you from applying. Get your application in early and see what happens. If you dont get in this time around, do some post bac or get a masters and get a better GPA.

I agree completely with this statement. He sent his score in way too late. By the time they got them, it didn't matter if he had a 21 or 22, most of the seats were prolly taken and he didn't have a shot b/c his gpa held him back. You better apply early if you want a good shot though, that is the key for weaker applicants.

And your gpa isn't too bad, however if you have taken some upper levels, like bichem, anatomy, physiology, that should help. They really like to see a strong gpa through the lower courses like bio and chem, and then they want you to get at least B's in the uppers.

Hey

my friend, an international student, had 3.4 o/s gpa and 20 AA/TS got rejected by all 16 schools he applied to. No interview was givenHe went to Cal too. He applied June as well.