"Very favorable review but hold for Interview??"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
lemme guess,
that's just their way of saying....maybe next year..right?

I am trying not to keep my hopes high. So far, this is the only "good" news I have received. Why is it that just a few handful have multiple acceptances and yet there are a few of us that don't even have an interview??

It's unfair!!

Members don't see this ad.

What school?

loyola

also, finch reviewed me and I am told that I am still "under consideration." WHATEVER! why do they have to speak in code? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
well, hey... at least they are not rejections! i know that's not much comfort, but i'm sure if you're very favorable you must at least have a decent shot of getting an interview at some stage. know that there are lots of people in your situation, myself included. eventually we're going to get some love :love: i hope anyway :(

What are your stats? I am in a similar situation with RUSH and expect loyola will follow soon...

They speak in code because their lawyers tell them to.

Hey I feel for you! Why are admissions officers so nice BEFORE you actually apply then they keep you on hold for rejection and pretend like they never spoke to before? I am in the same situation at Rush. Don't worry we'll kick butt the next time around! Keep your head up.

Tweety,
Hang in there. It is good news that they are still considering you. You have a big heart, once you get an interview, this will be conveyed. Frankly, the system is very disappointing as good people like yourself are put on the backburner while achievement and goal oriented individuals with great paper scores, yet frequently lack empathy are given the first crack at med school.
A future patient will be lucky to have someone like you. You will be in my thoughts. I hope you maintain peace of mind through this ordeal.

It means either they haven't scheduled you for an interview but plan to, or they are placing you on a waitlist for an interview (it happens)

I know the feeling Tweety! I just got a "hold" letter from my top school! This whole process stinks.

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
lemme guess,
that's just their way of saying....maybe next year..right?

I am trying not to keep my hopes high. So far, this is the only "good" news I have received. Why is it that just a few handful have multiple acceptances and yet there are a few of us that don't even have an interview??

It's unfair!!

I don't want to rain on your parade more, but later on, there's a certain date after which Loyola *only* interviews for its wait list, which essentially means despite you interviewing, you're in it for the long haul (you won't hear a decision until June/July).

The bright side is that at least you get email now-a-days. When I applied, it was waiting for the mailman each day.

mike

You know, I think your jealosy is showing. I haven't had much luck yet either, but at least I'm not blaming other people for my deficiencies.

How could you claim that the hardest working people -- goal-oriented and ambitious -- are not empathetic? And you claim that because you're not ambitious, you are empathetic? If you want to be a doctor so badly, maybe you should have worked harder in school. I am not blaming others for my low numbers. I take responsibility for it, and I know why adcomms are accepting other people and not me -- they did better, have a more impressive record, and deserve to be doctors.

Now, my numbers aren't horrific, but other people have better numbers.

I just wish people would stop claiming "it is a numbers game, just as I had feared." Of course numbers are important. If admissions offices don't trust that you could succeed in the academic environment, they're not going to accept you.

The extracurriculars come into play after you have passed the initial numbers screen. They know you'll succeed...now, will you be a leader? Will you make a significant contribution to society, or just be another doctor.

This process is not "unfair." It's exactly the way it should be. This is a capitalist democracy where the best people succeed...otherwise we'd all be equal and communists :rolleyes:

Good luck everyone!:clap:

Originally posted by Premed2003
You know, I think your jealosy is showing. I haven't had much luck yet either, but at least I'm not blaming other people for my deficiencies.

How could you claim that the hardest working people -- goal-oriented and ambitious -- are not empathetic? And you claim that because you're not ambitious, you are empathetic? If you want to be a doctor so badly, maybe you should have worked harder in school. I am not blaming others for my low numbers. I take responsibility for it, and I know why adcomms are accepting other people and not me -- they did better, have a more impressive record, and deserve to be doctors.

Now, my numbers aren't horrific, but other people have better numbers.

I just wish people would stop claiming "it is a numbers game, just as I had feared." Of course numbers are important. If admissions offices don't trust that you could succeed in the academic environment, they're not going to accept you.

The extracurriculars come into play after you have passed the initial numbers screen. They know you'll succeed...now, will you be a leader? Will you make a significant contribution to society, or just be another doctor.

I hope this was not directed to me because I in no way implied a correlation between intellect and empathy. I think you are really misunderstanding what others are saying here.

I don't mean to bring up somethign that may be a sore point to you, but when the MCATs came out, were you not the person who made like two different threads about getting 7,13,13?? Were you also not the person who spoke to your intelligence simply because you went to an Ivy school.....asking questions like, "I may have a three point whatever GPA but I'm from Princeton?" I think that this whole process is grueling to everybody as it is. We need support around here, not reasons to make somebody feel bad because they didn't do too well in school. And while we are on the topic, I would like to make it known that my lower grades are not because I was partying in undergrad years. I got into an Ivy, chose not to go there because my parents who are immigrants had no money at the time; I had to work two jobs, go to school, and also make sure I had enough EC's and other things that would make me a good applicant. You heard enough yet? Now, imagine yourself doing all that and finding out that somebody in your family got into an accident. Now imagine them being in a coma for God knows how long. I was lost...depressed...I could not cope with it at the time. So, I did poorly in school. Sorry, I am only human.

I don't really want to make my case here (although I feel like I am going there), but you really should not make generalizations that "if you want to get into medical school, you should have worked harder." I probably worked harder than you, for all you know. Sometimes, HARD WORK is not the only ingredient for success. There are other things like luck. That is why this whole process is called a crap shoot. And even if I was jealous, SO WHAT? I think it's only natural for others to compare (and I know I am not the first on SDN; others will just not TELL YOU that they are jealous) their scores et al to see how they match up. It's only HUMAN. Jealousy or being envious is okay, as long as you are not hurting other's sentiments. I believe I have not done anything to intentionally hurt anybody, even you (and God knows I have wanted to send you a nasty PM with that remark you made about going to Ivy schools). It would be weird for me to NOT get envious because that would mean that I don't care about my application. And I also think that being envious of others, and being happy for them when they get an interview/acceptance are exclusive of each other. In other words, let's say my friend Lola gets an interview (and I know she's been wanting one too!)...yes, I might be envious but it will not stop me from being happy for her. I WANT others to succeed too, I just want myself to be part of that group. How bad is that??

And where did you even get the "I am not blaming others for my low numbers, I am taking responsiblity for it." I'd like to know where you saw me "blame others" for anything. I'd like to think I am a responsible, caring, intelligent and mature candidate who is being overlooked because I don't have the numbers to make the initial screen. Not some monster you just made me out to be.

Anyway, it's all good. I know WHAT I am and I got nuthin to prove to you. I hope you do well this process because the first time is bad enough......

Tweetie
PS: and one more comment about jealousy--we'll see how you feel when somebody with a measly 27 from a state school gets in and you don't with your Ivy GPA 33 on the MCAT. This process is horrific as it is, why not instill a bit of faith in your peers instead??

PPS: To all others that replied to my thread, esp. OneStrongBro, you are all awesome. I am really glad to see that I'm not the only one. Lola, I still got my fingers crossed for your Loyola secondary, bebe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
loyola

also, finch reviewed me and I am told that I am still "under consideration." WHATEVER! why do they have to speak in code? :(

At least you heard back from them! Did you call or get an email/snail mail? I busted my butt answering those million essays and I'm dying to know if I got an interview. I'm sorry you're frustrated. Just hang in there...there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hi princess.
i called them. I believe you can only call them on Thurs from 1:00 to 4:00 or something. Now, we have had different opinions about the secretaries there. Lola had a miserable experience, and I had a wonderful one. From what I've heard, schools don't let out info on "highly favorable" or not.....I don't know why this lady did it for me. In any case, call between 1 and 4 on Thurs and I think you'll do okay. Good luck!!

PS: make sure you ask them about the "review status" of your application. If you ask them just the status, they will let you know if you're complete or not. This is getting kind of exciting (hearing semi-good news) but also making me nervous!! :eek: :eek:

Hey Tweetie,

I was responding to OneStrongBro's
Frankly, the system is very disappointing as good people like yourself are put on the backburner while achievement and goal oriented individuals with great paper scores, yet frequently lack empathy are given the first crack at med school.
A future patient will be lucky to have someone like you. You will be in my thoughts. I hope you maintain peace of mind through this ordeal.

Tweetie, I'm sure you work hard...I'm sure you'll get in somewhere. I think it's just all this whining from everyone that really gets annoying -- not you. I know it's a place to vent, but I prefer not to read other people's posts when they're whining about how they deserve to be getting in, and not other people -- which is what OneStrongBro and many others are saying.

Hang in there Tweetie! You have great stats compared to lots of other people. If you don't get in somewhere, it's their loss.

tweetie-
you know you have my support through all this. good luck-
peter

Ok...I wasn't going to say anything because having gone through it last year (with MAJOR AMCAS screwups!) I know how horrible this process is...but i gotta say this:

ITS ONLY NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) You guys have a lot of time to get interviews and acceptances. Last year (or this year..i guess) I had 3 interviews in fall and 4 in spring. All of my acceptances came later in the spring-early summer months (either waitlists or out right in). So...hang in there..right now people with strong numbers are being invited/accepted etc..those of you with average/good stats and files will get your chance in spring..I promise!:) And..if you do get waitlisted..there is hope..I was pulled from 4 waitlists despite the horrible amcas problems etc..
so...try not to bicker/get dissapointed or heartbroken yet..you have ~7 months to get through!:)

good luck!

Originally posted by Maple
Ok...I wasn't going to say anything because having gone through it last year (with MAJOR AMCAS screwups!) I know how horrible this process is...but i gotta say this:

ITS ONLY NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) You guys have a lot of time to get interviews and acceptances. Last year (or this year..i guess) I had 3 interviews in fall and 4 in spring. All of my acceptances came later in the spring-early summer months (either waitlists or out right in). So...hang in there..right now people with strong numbers are being invited/accepted etc..those of you with average/good stats and files will get your chance in spring..I promise!:) And..if you do get waitlisted..there is hope..I was pulled from 4 waitlists despite the horrible amcas problems etc..
so...try not to bicker/get dissapointed or heartbroken yet..you have ~7 months to get through!:)

good luck!

touch? :)

Hey Tweetie_bird, I just wanted to thank you for bringing up the whole "family situation" issue in regards to your grades. I went through a similar problem and despite the fact that I don't intend on making my app revolve around excuses(which I am NOT implying that you are doing), I think that it is important for people to realize that at some schools they will reject individuals with higher scores who did nothing but study during their undergraduate education. If you do apply again make sure you apply to schools that will consider the overall applicant- generally state schools focus on numbers, but after initial screenings, private institutions will look at you more then your grades- especially if you had a major situation that prevented you form doing as well as you would have. This is the situation I have been going through and I have been outright rejected from most of the public schools I applied to. Best wishes, I sincerely hope that you do get in, it will make the rest of us feel much better about the whole process. We just have to stick with it and hopefully we'll get off of the "hold" list.

Hey Tweetie,

Frankly, the system is very disappointing as good people like yourself are put on the backburner while achievement and goal oriented individuals with great paper scores, yet frequently lack empathy are given the first crack at med school.

The rumors about accepted med student lacking empathy and having "only numbers" is a total myth. I have yet to meet a medical school student that wasn't exceptionally nice, high-spirited, well-rounded and just an overall great person.

I know there are a few people that get accepted who seem to have been accepted only because of their numbers... but these students are very few. It takes MUCH MORE than numbers to get into med school.

The system is fine. There's nothing wrong with the process... the problem is simply this... NOT EVERYONE can go to med school. There just isn't enough room or demand for everyone who wants to be a doctor to be a doctor. Some people, however nice and however empathetic, will have to be cut. Med schools pick people who have have it all. There are so many people applying yo med school that just eliminating those people who lack empahty would only cut the applicant pool down maybe 20%. So how do they cut the rest? They use numbers... grades and MCAT scores... because those things ARE indicitive of how well a student will do in med school.

That said... the other poster is right... it's only november!!! Many schools interview all the way up until Febuary or March! We have at least 3 months left!! :)

Hey Tweetie,

I know it's a place to vent, but I prefer not to read other people's posts when they're whining about how they deserve to be getting in, and not other people -- which is what OneStrongBro and many others are saying.

Alright let me start off by saying that I have NEVER said that I deserve to be in medical school. My opinion of myself is moot on this forum for exchange. During my interviews, yes I have voiced my opinion but here Never.

Secondly, the fact is that a person with stellar paper scores i.e MCAT and GPA are prioritized and are interviewed first. Med schools triage and give notices that some are put on hold for interviews. If you want to debate with my comment, than you are saying that students with stellar paper scores are not prioritized to get first crack at med school seats i.e during the early interview season. Furthermore, first crack does not mean that students at the next tier do not get into medical school. Only students with great paper scores that lack empathy skills enter medical school is an assumption that YOU brought into my argument. If anything it is observational bias.

Lastly, I said frequently, not absolute. I am not saying that ALL students with stellar paper scores(35+MCAT, 3.8 GPA) are less empathetic. In fact, I know people with great paper scores and interpersonal skills. However, from my experience these people are exceptions to the rule.

One last thing. GPA is not a function solely of work ethic. So, your argument one should have worked harder is a oversimplification. The fact is that some people have to work part-time or full-time, or have to commute great distances to go to college. Am I in the above categories, NO. But, I am smart enough to know that I don' t know about everyone enough to say that GPA is just a function of work ethic.

How could you claim that the hardest working people -- goal-oriented and ambitious -- are not empathetic? This process is not "unfair." It's exactly the way it should be. This is a capitalist democracy where the best people succeed...otherwise we'd all be equal and communists :rolleyes:

As for your earlier comment. I will remind you that in a personal verbal attack. The comments made by the person first throwing the stones, speaks volumes of his current personal situation. I am sure you are smart enough to figure out what I am implying. Just remember, you are the one that introduced the negative energy on this post.

If you are frustrated with something, make a new post. Don't cannibalize another member's posts with your comments. Good luck with your endeavors. If you don't have anything nice to say personally about someone please keep it to yourself.

Your last comment about capitalistic democracy is another case of oversimplification. Ironically, that analogy did the opposite of what you wanted others to think of your academic acumen.

For the record, I have had 2 interviews so far, so I don't know where the allegation of jealousy came from. Enlighten me.

People we are here to give support to one another. At least that I is why I joined the website. Because I am someone who is getting really discouraged and I am looking for support and encouragement. So the bickering has to stop. Its not necessary. Everyone here is trying to accomplish the same thing.

Tweetie I am with you with regards to the academic situation. My GPA dropped really bad because one year my uncle died and I didn't take it well at all. The following year when I was starting to get back on my feet a really good friend of mine was killed. So I have the same hardships and completely understand your fustration.

Onestrongbro, enough is enough. No more bad comments and no more bragging. Support is the name of the game. Its not look at what I have. And by the way IVY doesn't mean anything. A friend of mine graduated in the top ten of his class from Columbia and didn't get into John's Hopkins.

And one last thing jealousy and envy are the green ugly monsters that can do a lot of damage!!! So let's prevent it from taking over the website!!!

Hey,

Does anyone know if Finch actually started to interview? Thanks, and good luck to all. By the way, I def. can assure you that other things do come into account in this cycle because I have been fortunate to get four interviews witha 27, so good luck and there is defenitely hope.

"The system is fine. There's nothing wrong with the process... the problem is simply this... NOT EVERYONE can go to med school. There just isn't enough room or demand for everyone who wants to be a doctor to be a doctor."

It is true that not everyone can go to medical school. However, the system unfortunately does weed out some people who would otherwise become excellent practitioners. It is kind of like parenting. There are a lot of couples out there who would do anything to have a child and would be wonderful parents, but for some reason, can not conceive a child. Yet, thousands of babies are born into families each year in which they will be abused and neglected. Just because someone has the "right stuff" to conceive a child does not automatically make them good parents. The same is true with medicine. A lot of people have the numbers and the extracurriculars to succeed in medical school, yet will not become good doctors because they won't take the time to show empathy and concern for their patients.

The system is not perfect. Schools do need to take an applicant's entire application into consideration. Some schools don't do this and weed out people soley by their numbers alone. The process is not always fair and when applicants are spending hundreds, and sometimes even thousands of dollars, to see their dreams get flushed down the toilet, and it is frustrating.

I love this board because it allows us to vent our concerns and frustrations and know that we are not alone.

Well, in my opinion, the system is as perfect as it can be here on earth. How could it change to make things more fair? I bet 90% of the people that apply to med school have the "personal" (i.e. other-than-numbers) qualilities needed to be good physicians. However, there is only room for ~45% of them to go to med school. So obviously SOME GOOD PEOPLE NEED TO BE CUT. And the only fair way to distinguish between two "good" people is by numbers. I don't see anything unfair about rejecting an applicant with a 21 MCAT regardless of if he/she is a good person.... b/c obviously, there are lots of good people with 28+ MCATs who would probably have an easier time passing the boards.

It takes more than just a good heart to be a good physician. You need to be able to retain and process large quanitites of information in a short period of time. The best indicators of a person's ability to do this are MCAT scores and gpa.

Having a good heart and strong character are only two of the things you need to be a great doctor. You can argue they are the two most important things... but they are still not the only things.

Originally posted by dph201
Onestrongbro, enough is enough. No more bad comments and no more bragging. Support is the name of the game. Its not look at what I have. And by the way IVY doesn't mean anything. A friend of mine graduated in the top ten of his class from Columbia and didn't get into John's Hopkins.

What in the world are you talking about? An allegation was made that I was frustrated because I have not received any interviews. Therefore, I made a point that I had INDEED received interviews. I did not offer this point just out of the blue.

As for the Ivy thing, WHY are you pulling random comments out of thin air? I have never mentioned IVY. Buddy, If you don't know what the debate is about it, be informed by READING the posts, before making INCONGRUENT comments that make no sense whatsover.

Alright I wasn't gonna say anything, but you know that that's already too late.

This is about the system being perfect as it can be here on earth (relatively prime). I think that attitude is a mistake. I think people with better numbers do deserve the first shot, nothing wrong with this at all. There has to be some criteria to establish candidates. But here is where the process is not fair and yes it can be improved. Let's not forget that numbers and motivation are not the only factors to acceptance. Everyone seems to be taking those into account, but noone took another major factor into account.

Where you live? State of residency make a huge difference. Thus depending on where you live, you may have a better shot than someone with higher numbers, higher empathy, higher interpersonal skills and all those good things. That seems unfair. Where you live really has nothing to do with how good of a doctor you may become. I understand that the argument is that they may stay there and practice, etc. Sure there may be some truth to that, but it should not be as big a factor as it is in the admissions process. This is the politics part of the process - this state gives us money, let's take only our state's people. This is unfair to students in other states, if their state has a small ratio to number of spots to number of applicants. Which there are a lot of.

I am not offering a solution, I was merely pointing out this problem and offering that the system is not perfect, in fact not even entirely fair.

My two cents

X

Tweetie --

I am in an airport, and I couldn't help but drop you a note. Forget what everyone hear is saying. You are smart enough, kind enough, and deserve as much as anyone to become a doctor. YOu have the compassion and kindness of the saints, and I and many others around here love you for it. You will get in. It may take you a longer than others, and that will be painful, but the end will be the same. Come fall, you will be at a white coat ceremony.

Everyone Else --

There are times for criticism, and time for love, and a time for support. Let people vent sometimes, and help them, don't critcize them.

Take care and smile everyone.

hello Tweetie,

sorry to hear about Loyola.. I think it might not be a bad idea to send them a letter thanking them for the continuing consideration of your application and telling them that you remain strongly interested in their school. Might not be a bad idea for Finch as well, and if you are on pre-interview hold at VCU/MCV (their website will say something like"the committee's review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy but we are unable to predict when we will be able to schedule your interview") or Temple (they will send you a letter in February from what I remember but if you call they may tell you as well), those schools might appreciate hearing of your interest as well and decide to do something about it. good luck and let us know how the process goes:)

Thank you for the support and love, everybody.

Katie, you hit the nail on the head. I am currently typing out letters to a few schools and posting them tomorrow about my continued interest in their school.

Charles, if what you say will be true.....I will be forever indebted. I mean, this is something I've wanted for so long. I feel like once this dream comes true, I will have nothing to complain about for a long, long time.

Will keep you all updated.

Hi Tweetie,

I agree with cabruen. I don't know why there are people on this board who are so insecure that they have to repeatedly defend high stats, "dispel myths," and claim that the system is as perfect as can be. Perhaps it's the natural transition for some of those people who have been accepted on the early end, since they're no longer nervous about getting in. Oh well. (Know that this group doesn't include me.)

Ignore all that stuff about the system, since it isn't ultimately relevant here. I've realized through personal and anecdotal (since people love that stuff around here!) experience that, in individual cases, stats by themselves don't predict outcomes accurately. That is also the nature of statistics in general.
What is relevant is that this system produces a process that is a crap shoot, which implies nothing about fairness.

Stay hopeful and confident and let the school know how interested you are. Things will go well.
Chloe
Originally posted by cabruen
Tweetie --

I am in an airport, and I couldn't help but drop you a note. Forget what everyone hear is saying. You are smart enough, kind enough, and deserve as much as anyone to become a doctor. YOu have the compassion and kindness of the saints, and I and many others around here love you for it. You will get in. It may take you a longer than others, and that will be painful, but the end will be the same. Come fall, you will be at a white coat ceremony.

Everyone Else --

There are times for criticism, and time for love, and a time for support. Let people vent sometimes, and help them, don't critcize them.

Take care and smile everyone.

Hi Tweetie
I was wondering when you were complete at those schools -- I have supposedly been "under review" since mid September. I guess I will call on Thursday but I was thinking they would contact me. Do you think they are going to email/mail you saying those things too?? I am going crazy with all this waiting!!

Shortstuff,
Thanks for the PM. I have been complete at schools since mid oct. I called each school and asked them the status of my application and got these answers. I did not feel like waiting for an email/letter so I just called them to fnd out. Most were very receptive. Tulane (and i am NOT their fan) even told me that a decision will be arriving anytime soon and they knew I had been rejected, yet they did not divulge that info to me. I waited for the mailman for 4 whole days frantically checking my mail, and I found a rejection from Tulane. Like they couldn't have told me that over the phone? Cold hearted people.

I just got rejected from Albany medical college over the phone and trust me that wasn't much better. These schools need to get in gear and let people know what the deal is!

same here.

Just called OHSU and found out the bad news.

:( i guess i will not call ohsu. wouldn't want to hear the bad news.

:( sorry to let you know that Lola.

Just an FYI to what I found out:
they have this "non-preferred" pile where everybody with below a 3.5 GPA or below 30 MCAT are put in. Depending on the quality of Preffered applicants they have, they choose to pull people out from the Non Preferred pile. So basically, the next group of people that are looked at are 3.4 GPA and 30 MCAT, and so on.

And in the past, they have not had to pull people out from the "non-preferred" pile. So if you have below 3.5 or below 30 MCAT, tough luck. Most likely you will not even get to interview. I was a bit upset with the secretary (who did turn out to be rude) about how our files don't even get looked at unless we have a certain number cutoff. I mean, how fair is it to applicants to have to pay for secondaries...and not even have our ENTIRE files be looked at. We are rejected solely on numbers although we paid for the secondary. One would hope they could at least open the file. It's disheartening. To those "high stats" people who do keep trying to demystify the truth about it not being a numbers game...I wonder how you account for this.

It's life. And life is unfair. I'm dealing with it.

so they never pull from that pile?? geesh. guess i'm screwed then. oh well. thanks for the info! portland would have been nice :(

one more thing... their mcat average is 30. is this b/c the in-state people never get put in that pile?

Originally posted by lola

one more thing... their mcat average is 30. is this b/c the in-state people never get put in that pile?

LOL, is this meant as a joke for OR residents? LOLOL

oh my distorted humor...portland would have been nice. :(

Wow, thanks Tweetie. That means one less secondary I was putting off until this week.

well,
I don't want to hurt your application and I don't want to be liable for any mis-information (although rest assured I wouldn't do anything purposeful to hurt you). I think you should do your own research. I am just telling you what I was told by the secretary there.

What sucks most is that she put me on hold and asked the person who interviews (I guess the Dean??) while I was listening in on what was being said. I mean, I was THIS CLOSE to the person who makes the decisions yet I could do nothing to help my own application. I wanted to yell on the phone loud enough so the dean could hear me, "please please please...can't you make juse one insy weensy exception for me???" :(

It SUCKS that they don't divulge this info earlier. Glad to know I saved you 75 bucks.

Tweetie, I feel your pain. But really, a 3.5 and 30 MCAT isn't all that big for a cutoff. First, they want doctors who can achieve greatness academically. So now there is a slew of people with a 3.5 and 30 MCAT or above in their pile. Now, they don't want nerds and geeks and others who only study. So here comes the life experiences, etc. So the people with 3.5 or 3.6 or 4.0 and good MCAT who don't have anything interesting about them are put in the same pile as the below 3.5 gpa.

Now remaining: good academics + good life experiences/interesting person/etc.

It is a numbers game, of course. They don't want people who won't perform well academically. But that's only a small part. That's how you get your foot in the door. The people who get accepted are good academically and great and interesting people. It's the combination that they look for.

Did you apply to lower ranked schools? All of the schools you've been rejected from are great schools. Albany, etc. seem to accept people with lower stats. Did you apply there?

What was your gpa? It's close to 3.5 isn't it? I'm sure you're going to get in somewhere. Everyone here supports you...just keep thinking positively. You still have lots of schools left on your list!

Hola Tweetie:

I feel your pain. I was rejected pre secondary from Loyola, and VCU. I was put on hold at RUSH but I consider that a rejection since RUSH puts everyone on hold and according to my advisor who just told me TODAY, that RUSH only pulls people from Illinois from their hold file and rarely accepts people from the east coast.

I have heard nothing from the other schools. It's been 6 weeks and no word from Michigan state or UCSF regarding a secondary so I assume those are rejections too. I was an August MCATER so it puts me in a bad position, still no interviews.

Keep your chin up. Good things happen to good people. Your time will come soon :)

Oh and another side note to add: My friend at Creighton University said that if you have below a 3.4 GPA don't bother applying :rolleyes:

However, it is an excellent school for URM since it is their focus : to train URM students.

Tweetie, I know others have encouraged you but I also wanted to join in. If you want it bad enough, you *WILL* be a doctor. Even if it means having to undergo waitlist hell or reapplying next year.

Believe me, I know how tough this time is - I was on the waiting list of my Canadian undergrad university's med school for *two* consective summers without getting off. I questioned myself (and God) more times than you can imagine, and probably cried every day for a month the second time. All because my GPA was a "measly" 3.46 rather than 3.5+ (and you can also imagine how many times I kicked myself for that). I wanted to get in *so* much, and it wasn't to be. But in the end, I DID get into med school and I will be a doctor. And so will you.

btw, my first interview invite was in mid-December, for February. Don't give up yet. Like I said it may take getting off a waiting list (and for whatever it's worth my gut feeling is that this will be the case for you), but just remember the end result's exactly the same as being accepted on October 15th. :) And maybe you'll be luckier.

One thing though I'd suggest is to start preparing in case things don't go your way this cycle (like retaking the MCAT in April, especially if the 27 was your first time). If you can improve that score and have everything ready to go next June, I have absolutely no doubt that at the VERY least you'll get in on a reapplication.

Hang in there! (((hugs)))