Very hard interview question(s)...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCFKnight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been doing some mock interviews in preparation for this interview season, and I have come across some questions that I truly cannot find a good answer to. Feel free to pick one, some or all, and provide how you would/will respond to it.

I know that many of these may have become cliche to some of you, but, nonetheless, I am still interested in how everyone really would respond. I know this will not only help me. I also know that many of the answers to these questions will be subjective, but please humor me.

1. If you had the choice of giving a transplant to an elderly woman with various health problems or a 20-year-old drug addict, how and who do you choose? Why?

2. What is your "cause/purpose"?

3. Rank intelligence, compassion, and integrity in the order of importance to you.

4. If you had a magic pen, what would you do to remedy health care in America?

5. I am a dying patient, and you are my doctor. Tell me that I am going to die.

6. Do you think health care is a right or a privilege?

I'm sure I'll have more later, but that is it for now. Thanks ahead of time to anyone who gives input.

Members don't see this ad.

1.) What's better a doctor who cares deeply about their patients but has little aptitude for medicine, or a doctor who doesn't care about their patients but has a large aptitude for treating diseases.

I have been doing some mock interviews in preparation for this interview season, and I have come across some questions that I truly cannot find a good answer to. Feel free to pick one, some or all, and provide how you would/will respond to it.

I know that many of these may have become cliche to some of you, but, nonetheless, I am still interested in how everyone really would respond. I know this will not only help me. I also know that many of the answers to these questions will be subjective, but please humor me.

1. If you had the choice of giving a transplant to an elderly woman with various health problems or a 20-year-old drug addict, how and who do you choose? Why?
First come, first serve

cookie/cutter answer

3. Rank intelligence, compassion, and integrity in the order of importance to you.
Inteligence/intergrity/compassion

write M.D. after my name (oh and magically conjure up all the certifications and knowledge needed of course)

"You are going to die"

privilege, if it is a right we wouldnt have to pay for it

I'm sure I'll have more later, but that is it for now. Thanks ahead of time to anyone who gives input.

there

Members don't see this ad :)
1. I'm not a medical actuary so don't ask me to do risk assessment.

2. It's a career, not an idiotic and romanticized divine-calling.

3. Intelligence, integrity, compassion. Medicine is driven by results. Stupid and presumably incompetent physicians have no place in medicine. Compassion has no influence on cold, hard results. Integrity falls somewhere between 'useful' and 'useless' and I'm too inarticulate to express myself, so I'll throw it in the middle.

4. Single payer health care. Rationed health care on the obese, drug addicts, and the elderly. Mandatory DNRs on the aforementioned classes of patients. A focus on minimal bureaucracy. Fair and reasonable salaries for physicians and other medical professionals.

5. You're going to die.

6. A right, as long as physicians and other medical professionals are provided reasonable compensation for their services.

Hi Mr. _____,

We need to have a conversation about your current health condition, but before we begin is there a trusted friend or family member you would like to invite to join us.

After reviewing all of your test results we have identified your condition. Although we know more today then ever before about your condition we unfortunately have very limited treatment options. I am so very sorry but at this current time I don't belive that any of these treatments will be successful at treating your disease.

(pause for any questions about treatments.)

Your comfort is our number one concern at this time and we will work as hard as we can to help you live as long and comfortable as possible. Do you have any questions about what to expect with this condition? I want you know that we have many resources availble to you. I recommend allowing one of our social workers to talk with you about these resources.

(pause for any other questions or concerns the patient my have.)

Please feel free to call me with any questions you have. Again I am very sorry there isn't more we can do. I will leave my card with you and will follow up with you regularly. I will also arrange for the social worker to give you call. If you need anything from me call at any time.

Thank you

A 20 year old drug addict. You can change habits, but not age.

I have several.

Intelligence, Integrity, Compassion

I would make sure that magic pen had a magic eraser, that could magically erase anything remotely ******ed that "certain" congressmen have put in place.

First bring any immediate family in with the patient's consent. Tell them why and how they will die, tell them I and the rest of the staff are there for them, routinely check on them and make them comfortable until they actually do die.

It must be a privilege because we still have to pay for it.

Mostly answered.

4. Single payer health care. Rationed health care on the obese, drug addicts, and the elderly. Mandatory DNRs on the aforementioned classes of patients. A focus on minimal bureaucracy. Fair and reasonable salaries for physicians and other medical professionals.

you're gonna be popular

Hi Mr. _____,

We need to have a conversation about your current health condition, but before we begin is there a trusted friend or family member you would like to invite to join us.

After reviewing all of your test results we have identified your condition. Although we know more today then ever before about your condition we unfortunately have very limited treatment options. I am so very sorry but at this current time I don't belive that any of these treatments will be successful at treating your disease.

Your comfort is our number one concern at this time and we will work as hard as we can to help you live as long and comfortable as possible. Do you have any questions about what to expect with this condition? I want you know that we have many resources availble to you. I recommend allowing one of our social workers to talk with you about these resources.

Please feel free to call me with any questions you have. Again I am very sorry there isn't more we can do. I will leave my card with you and will follow up with you regularly. I will also arrange for the social worker to give you call. If you need anything from me call at any time.

Thank you

I'm gonna print this, fold it into a pocket square for my tux, and bring it to my interview.

yea, that is messed up

It's messed up but that's reality for you. Resources are limited either way you look at it. Private health insurance drops coverage, public health insurance rations care. Most health spending is used by the elderly in the last few years of their lives. Drug-addicted and obese patients, who are victims of their own habitually poor choices, should not take health resources from otherwise healthy patients.

1) The question itself is asking to value one person's life over another, which is not a fair premise. First come, first served. The young patient should not be eligible unless they have been clean for (required length of time) and has comprehensive services to combat relapse.

2) Very personal question, but I would say to live a fulfilling life, and then describe what is fulfilling to me. I disagree with circulus, any career is "just a career" if you think about it that way. I would rather not think of something that I would enjoy doing everyday of my life as "just a career"

3) Integrity first, always. A smart compassionate doctor can do some very awful things without integrity. I would say compassion next and intelligence as least important of the three. Why is intelligence important if you don't give a damn about patients? I've known a lot of good people and even some doctors that have done well in life with average intelligence or below. I know few good people without integrity or compassion.

4) Universal Healthcare, More GPs, and more investment into preventative care.

5) Explain fatal nature of illness, make them feel like everything that could be done, was done. Offer contact with spiritual services, answer questions then allow them space to grieve.

6) Absolutely a right, but needs compliance to work. physicians should have more power to enforce compliance with programs.

Hi Mr. _____,

Thank you

I want you as my doc if I'm dying, wonderful answer

Would you eat a poop hotdog in order to be accepted to our institution?

If yes, *hold out bun, defecate into bun, hand poop hotdog to applicant*.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) The question itself is asking to value one person's life over another, which is not a fair premise. First come, first served. The young patient should not be eligible unless they have been clean for (required length of time) and has comprehensive services to combat relapse.

2) Very personal question, but I would say to live a fulfilling life, and then describe what is fulfilling to me. I disagree with circulus, any career is "just a career" if you think about it that way. I would rather not think of something that I would enjoy doing everyday of my life as "just a career"

3) Integrity first, always. A smart compassionate doctor can do some very awful things without integrity. I would say compassion next and intelligence as least important of the three. Why is intelligence important if you don't give a damn about patients? I've known a lot of good people and even some doctors that have done well in life with average intelligence or below. I know few good people without integrity or compassion.

5) Explain fatal nature of illness, make them feel like everything that could be done, was done. Offer contact with spiritual services, answer questions then allow them space to grieve.

6) Absolutely a right, but needs compliance to work. physicians should have more power to enforce compliance with programs.

Dude. Are we the same person?? :eek: :thumbup:

It's messed up but that's reality for you. Resources are limited either way you look at it. Private health insurance drops coverage, public health insurance rations care. Most health spending is used by the elderly in the last few years of their lives. Drug-addicted and obese patients, who are victims of their own habitually poor choices, should not take health resources from otherwise healthy patients.

You do know that 1/3 of the US adult population is obese, right?

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html/

Also about 16% of kids.

Get rid of those useless eaters (and boy-o-boy, can they eat!) and there will be plenty of health care for everyone else.

You do know that 1/3 of the US adult population is obese, right?

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html/

Also about 16% of kids.

Get rid of those useless eaters (and boy-o-boy, can they eat!) and there will be plenty of health care for everyone else.

Upon reconsideration, that idea might not be such a good idea. :laugh: As a former fatty who is disgusted by fatties, I'm not exactly impartial.

These are pretty straight forward questions. Not really tricky. They have right and wrong answers (multiple of each) and do not particularly depend on who is interviewing you. I have answered all of these at least once on the interview trail, or a similarly worded question...

Purpose: Attempt to trap applicant into comparing elderly vs. young + drug addict. Hard route - picking one and justifying. Easier and generally more fluid - Redirect. Convince the interviewer that the question is invalid, stupid, moot, take your pick.

Personal take: I would attack the simplicity of the descriptions of the patients. No person can be or should be simplified down into "elderly female" or "drug addict". In each of those groups there is a huge variation.

Purpose: Sell yourself. Can also be translated into, "Why should I invest resources in training you?" Or, "Medical training is long and hard. What makes you wake up every day and strive to achieve X, Y and Z?" This is probably the fairest question an interviewer can ask. It is the simplest, most direct and probably one of the most useful questions. If you do not get this while interviewing for medical school, you WILL get it interviewing for residency. Of the 18 programs I interviewed at this Spring, I was asked at 10+ some derivative of this question.

Personal take: You can not fake this question. It is obvious and transparent if you do. When you put a person's answer in the context of their application you can easily derive the sincerity of all the other answers that an applicant gives. It all comes down to having a theme to your application. Activities complimenting a personal statement which in term is reflected in your answer to this question. An ego helps when answering this question as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Purpose: Nobody actually cares how you rank these. None are less important than the others. The trap is diminishing the importance of any of them. You should be able to answer the question, "Why is _________ important to the practice of medicine?" Where the blank is filled with intelligence, compassion or integrity. You should also have a specific example or two for each. You can make some arbitrary order if you choose, but in the end you can't order these entities.

Personal take: I would never provide the evidence unless provoked by this type of question, but I can and have easily provided examples for interviewers of how I exemplify each of those. Again, goes along with being able to sell yourself. You have to be able to self promote when asked to.

Purpose: Translation: "How close do you follow the political atmosphere and the world outside of your little bubble?" There are a lot of ways to answer this. The way you shoot yourself in the foot is going for too much. The second part of that is that you need to be humble when answering. If American health care could be solved that easily, it would have been done. Pick a pet issue, promoting preventative medicine, mandating standardization of EMRs, etc. And propose a solution. Do not try to fix the entire country.

Purpose: Weed out the sociopaths. Do not tell people you know how they are feeling. You don't. Even if you have a closely related experience, you don't know how they are feeling/responding. Do not use words like expire, pass away etc. They are going to die. That has to be crystal clear and up front. What comes after is the important part. Offer support, personal and then in the form of palliative care/hospice as well as grief counseling.

Personal take: I told a 25 year old that they were going to likely die in the next 2-3 months last week. I have told 10+ patients that they are going to lose anywhere from a toe to 50%+ of their leg in the last 6 weeks. The formula for dealing with these issues is among the simplest out there. The hard part is actually seeing someone who is actually going to be in a body bag in a couple months and being able to follow through. As an interview question this is fairly straight forward.

Purpose: Weed out people who have never thought about the question. This is an easy question to answer. Both are easily justifiable. You can easily flip-flop in your opinion between interviews. Which side you fall on does not matter. Having a reasonably thought out answer as well as counters to the basic counter arguments is what is required.

Reactions: 1 users
Convince the interviewer that the question is invalid, stupid, moot, take your pick.

Can we really do this? Because this is exactly what I want to do. It's like, are you really going to pull this amateur hour bull**** on me after I took time off work and paid hundreds of dollars to attend this idiotic interview? The medical school equivalent of "what's your biggest weakness."

These are pretty straight forward questions. Not really tricky. They have right and wrong answers (multiple of each) and do not particularly depend on who is interviewing you. I have answered all of these at least once on the interview trail, or a similarly worded question...

This was very insightful, helps to understand why they are asking you that question.

+1 :)

Purpose: Attempt to trap applicant into comparing elderly vs. young + drug addict. Hard route - picking one and justifying. Easier and generally more fluid - Redirect. Convince the interviewer that the question is invalid, stupid, moot, take your pick.

Personal take: I would attack the simplicity of the descriptions of the patients. No person can be or should be simplified down into "elderly female" or "drug addict". In each of those groups there is a huge variation.

Purpose: Sell yourself. Can also be translated into, "Why should I invest resources in training you?" Or, "Medical training is long and hard. What makes you wake up every day and strive to achieve X, Y and Z?" This is probably the fairest question an interviewer can ask. It is the simplest, most direct and probably one of the most useful questions. If you do not get this while interviewing for medical school, you WILL get it interviewing for residency. Of the 18 programs I interviewed at this Spring, I was asked at 10+ some derivative of this question.

Personal take: You can not fake this question. It is obvious and transparent if you do. When you put a person's answer in the context of their application you can easily derive the sincerity of all the other answers that an applicant gives. It all comes down to having a theme to your application. Activities complimenting a personal statement which in term is reflected in your answer to this question. An ego helps when answering this question as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Purpose: Nobody actually cares how you rank these. None are less important than the others. The trap is diminishing the importance of any of them. You should be able to answer the question, "Why is _________ important to the practice of medicine?" Where the blank is filled with intelligence, compassion or integrity. You should also have a specific example or two for each. You can make some arbitrary order if you choose, but in the end you can't order these entities.

Personal take: I would never provide the evidence unless provoked by this type of question, but I can and have easily provided examples for interviewers of how I exemplify each of those. Again, goes along with being able to sell yourself. You have to be able to self promote when asked to.

Purpose: Translation: "How close do you follow the political atmosphere and the world outside of your little bubble?" There are a lot of ways to answer this. The way you shoot yourself in the foot is going for too much. The second part of that is that you need to be humble when answering. If American health care could be solved that easily, it would have been done. Pick a pet issue, promoting preventative medicine, mandating standardization of EMRs, etc. And propose a solution. Do not try to fix the entire country.

Purpose: Weed out the sociopaths. Do not tell people you know how they are feeling. You don't. Even if you have a closely related experience, you don't know how they are feeling/responding. Do not use words like expire, pass away etc. They are going to die. That has to be crystal clear and up front. What comes after is the important part. Offer support, personal and then in the form of palliative care/hospice as well as grief counseling.

Personal take: I told a 25 year old that they were going to likely die in the next 2-3 months last week. I have told 10+ patients that they are going to lose anywhere from a toe to 50%+ of their leg in the last 6 weeks. The formula for dealing with these issues is among the simplest out there. The hard part is actually seeing someone who is actually going to be in a body bag in a couple months and being able to follow through. As an interview question this is fairly straight forward.

Purpose: Weed out people who have never thought about the question. This is an easy question to answer. Both are easily justifiable. You can easily flip-flop in your opinion between interviews. Which side you fall on does not matter. Having a reasonably thought out answer as well as counters to the basic counter arguments is what is required.

Wow. That was very descriptive and informative.:thumbup:

man did you find these from a book? if not, you should write one

Can we really do this? Because this is exactly what I want to do. It's like, are you really going to pull this amateur hour bull**** on me after I took time off work and paid hundreds of dollars to attend this idiotic interview? The medical school equivalent of "what's your biggest weakness."

Sure you can. My response to question #1 would be something along the lines of, "Wow, that's a tough one! I would be so glad as a transplant surgeon that decisions like that are out of my hands and determined by a computer algorithm. We may not always agree with the weights given to various characterstics and maybe the policies behind the algorithms should be revisited from time to time but that objective way of ranking people on the list is really what is most fair to everyone."

Yes. You can do it. As others have pointed out, it is an unfair premise. It isn't a single doctor's opinion that determines who gets organs in the hospital and most certainly it does not hinge on a single word/phrase description of the patient. They are both people. They are both patients. You are not going to easily convince someone that one is more deserving than the other. Showing off/demonstrating that you recognize patients are more complex than simple labels and stereotypes is more than enough to impress interviewers.

man did you find these from a book? if not, you should write one

I generally just shoot from the hip on SDN. If it doesn't come across from my other posts, I have a bit of an ego. I would love to have 6 months to just compile, sort and condense 1000+ questions from SDN and write a guide/book. [ego talking] I think I have something to share that is worth listening to. [/ego talking] But unfortunately residents don't have time for those kinds of projects :p.

Regarding #6: I have yet to hear a compelling explanation of how healthcare is a right. I'm curious how people come to that conclusion.

Regarding #6: I have yet to hear a compelling explanation of how healthcare is a right. I'm curious how people come to that conclusion.

Because it's the 'good feeling' answer that is supposedly showing your compassion.

It is a civil right but not one that obligates the government (or anyone else) to provide you with it for free. As Americans we have the right to bear arms but no one interpretes this to mean that gun manufacturers or vendors must give them away for free.

Reactions: 1 user

Hi Mr. _____,

Thank you

Pretty good answer, except for the fact you did not tell the patient they were going to die.

The currently accepted best practice for notifying patients and family about death/dying is to be straight forward and not use euphemisms.

As another poster pointed out, the patient is dying, and they deserve to be told this in no uncertain terms. What you say after breaking this news is where the rubber meets the road.

It is a civil right but not one that obligates the government (or anyone else) to provide you with it for free. As Americans we have the right to bear arms but no one interpretes this to mean that gun manufacturers or vendors must give them away for free.

This seems a bit obtuse. What you basically said is that we have the right to access, purchase, and receive healthcare. When people say healthcare is a "right," I'm pretty sure that's not what they mean.

This seems a bit obtuse. What you basically said is that we have the right to access, purchase, and receive healthcare. When people say healthcare is a "right," I'm pretty sure that's not what they mean.

Agree.
Right = when you are sick, you are entitled to the maximum healthcare resources available for your condition.
Privilege = when you are sick, you are not entitled to anything, healthcare providers have option whether to give healthcare or not.

Well I don't have a good explanation for why it's a right. I will say though that if you think healthcare is only a privilege, you are in some sense discriminating in your patient population. Medicine is a highly sought, valuable, and necessary service. Withholding that service on the basis of ability to pay (the privilege), and nothing more, is cruel. It's the principle of humanism. To go a step further even some people with the ability to pay an insurance premium, but not outrageous procedure costs, are denied coverage.

It's easy to call it a privilege when you have it.

Agree.
Right = when you are sick, you are entitled to the maximum healthcare resources available for your condition.
Privilege = when you are sick, you are not entitled to anything, healthcare providers have option whether to give healthcare or not.

This is what I've gathered:

Healthcare is a right (common definition): People, simply by existing, are entitled to medical care.

Healthcare is a right (LizzyM definition): People are entitled to obtain healthcare. In my opinion, this stance is incredibly vague and really doesn't mean anything.

Healthcare is a privilege: People may purchase healthcare services if they so choose. A society may choose to assist those who cannot afford healthcare.

Agree.

I dunno if that's accurate. Healthcare providers have option to accept your money when you're sick. They provide services if you can pay, pretty simple economics. Your contention seems to be that healthcare providers refuse treatment on some moral stand, like they have something personal against sick people.

because you know why someone is obese, or a drug addict. it couldn't be depression or a million other things that are treatable. nah, **** it! KILL THEM!

Agree.

In a sense, both are correct. You cannot be discriminated against in your attempt to access health care due to your race, disability, etc. If you are a disabled newborn or an demented elder you can't be turned away as having no right, or limited rights, to medical care. So in that regard, a person who is sick is entitled to maximum healthcare resources available.

On the other hand, when you are sick, but stable, you cannot force a provider to see you if, for example, you are uninsured and without resources to pay for your care (e.g. undocumented and uninsured). It is legal for that provider to close the door to you.

If everyone has health insurance like responsible citizens, then this wouldn't be a problem. We're all paying for it in the end, whether or not one has insurance.

1. Kind of an unfair question, like others have said; luckily the decision is never in any single individual's hands. Unfortunately for the druggie, transplant criteria often require the patient to be clean for a certain period of time.

2. Highly dependent on the individual.

3. Integrity, intelligence, compassion. Don't confuse my ranking compassion last as saying it isn't important, though.

4. Reallocate a chunk of the defense budget to Medicare/Medicaid. In my experience, hospital costs soar because hospitals have to somehow recuperate money that Medicare/Medicaid won't shell out because "it isn't in the budget."

5. My response would be "tl; dnr," so I just won't bother.

6. I don't think we value our health enough to consider it a "right." Heck, we don't even seem to value our health as a privilege.

This is what I've gathered:

Healthcare is a right (common definition): People, simply by existing, are entitled to medical care.

Healthcare is a right (LizzyM definition): People are entitled to obtain healthcare. In my opinion, this stance is incredibly vague and really doesn't mean anything.

Healthcare is a privilege: People may purchase healthcare services if they so choose. A society may choose to assist those who cannot afford healthcare.

Where things get dicey is when we start actually getting around to defining these terms.

I can sit up on the bully pulpit and tout my plan as one where "everyone gets healthcare." But I can call anything "healthcare." Suppose I open up a shop where I sell medical textbooks to the sick: Is that not providing a service that potentially improves the health condition of a sick human being? Anyone can access it. It's cheap. Universal health care.

Of course it would do the sick no good, so maybe we should investigate a little closer what "healthcare" is and not fall for spurious claims to "universal healthcare" w/o first clarifying what we're even talking about. We can't leave it at "access to quality care," either, because the terms "access," "quality," and "care" are all equally vague. It does no good to define a vague term with another treble of vague terms. How many people live here? 330 million? There's probably 330 million different meanings to those concepts floating around the USA.

love your answer! I agreee

Pretty totalitarian mindset, IMO.

Oh c'mon, young kids say "I don't need insurance" like all freedom lovers or whatever, and then they turn 50 and they need help, but they can't get insurance, and then there's this vicious cycle of more healthy people uninsured and more sick people insured.

Then the hospitals take care of these problems as required by law, and then we end up paying as tax payers any way.

I have a car, I buy car insurance. I want to use the US hospital system, I buy health insurance. Why is this totalitarian?

If everyone has health insurance like responsible citizens, then this wouldn't be a problem. We're all paying for it in the end, whether or not one has insurance.

If everyone has insurance, then premiums go up because the insurance companies now have to account for a larger population, which subsequently increases the pool of high-risk patients. Somebody has to shoulder that cost; be it through taxes or raised premiums.

If everyone has insurance, then premiums go up because the insurance companies now have to account for a larger population, which subsequently increases the pool of high-risk patients. Somebody has to shoulder that cost; be it through taxes or raised premiums.

Yeah okay:

"Hey everyone! Don't buy health insurance, it will ruin it for the rest of us!"

Reactions: 1 user
In a sense, both are correct. You cannot be discriminated against in your attempt to access health care due to your race, disability, etc. If you are a disabled newborn or an demented elder you can't be turned away as having no right, or limited rights, to medical care. So in that regard, a person who is sick is entitled to maximum healthcare resources available.

On the other hand, when you are sick, but stable, you cannot force a provider to see you if, for example, you are uninsured and without resources to pay for your care (e.g. undocumented and uninsured). It is legal for that provider to close the door to you.

what would happen when the disable newborn/demented elder need a highly expensive procedure done? and they have no ability to pay. this is when i think healthcare is a privilege because everyone cant be entitled to the "maximum resrouces" because resrouces are not unlimited. Basic and easily accessible healthcare should be a right though. I would hate for someone to die from malaria because they cant pay for medication.

Oh c'mon, young kids say "I don't need insurance" like all freedom lovers or whatever, and then they turn 50 and they need help, but they can't get insurance, and then there's this vicious cycle of more healthy people uninsured and more sick people insured.

Then the hospitals take care of these problems as required by law, and then we end up paying as tax payers any way.

I have a car, I buy car insurance. I want to use the US hospital system, I buy health insurance. Why is this totalitarian?

You don't expect your auto insurance to cover basic repairs and maintenance on a regular basis like you expect your health insurance to cover office visits and prescriptions. The systems are entirely different.

You don't expect your auto insurance to cover basic repairs and maintenance on a regular basis like you expect your health insurance to cover office visits and prescriptions. The systems are entirely different.

I can also just take my car to the junk yard if I can't afford to fix it.

The thing about people is that we can't just dump them in the graveyard. We legally have to help the patient: Someone comes into the ER with a heart attack, the hospital treats, and the patient has no money. Then taxpayers have to foot the bill for this guy. There's so much hypocrisy with just, "I don't want health insurance because this is a free country!"

Um, best friends? Dude I hope you get in. Thumbs up!

I can also just take my car to the junk yard if I can't afford to fix it.

The thing about people is that we can't just dump them in the graveyard. We legally have to help the patient: Someone comes into the ER with a heart attack, the hospital treats, and the patient has no money. Then taxpayers have to foot the bill for this guy. There's so much hypocrisy with just, "I don't want health insurance because this is a free country!"

You also have to consider what it is that being insured actually guarantees you. Sure, it's nice to say that "everyone's insured," but if that same insurance requires a $500 deductible for every hospitalization that (shocker) the same people who could barely afford insurance before and certainly can't afford now, what service have you actually bought yourself, and how is this an improvement on our current state of healthcare?