Very Low GPA, High Dat Help Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artappgame

Reaction score
Date of submission: 06/03
Overall GPA: 3.20
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
25AA, 24TS, 22Bio, 28GC, 24Orgo 23RC, 26QR, 23 PAT
State of Residence: New York

Undergrad Attended: Stony Brook University
Major: Health Science
Minor:
Minority?
No - Asians
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 144 hours in persona and 66 virtual
Volunteering Experience: 318 hours
Employment: 880 hours and still ongoing right now for dentist assistant job and I have 630 hours work hour back at school working for resident halls.
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: None
Relevant Honors or Awards: None
LOR type and strength: Committee letter (Strong), Organic Chemistry (Strong), Physics (Medium), Communication (Strong), Dentist (Very Strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Red flag is my stupid low gpa and non extracurriculars and research.
School list:
-
Buffalo
-Columbia
-NYU
-Touro
-Boston
-Pitts
-Western
-Case Western
-Marquette
-Temple
-Rutgers
-Tufts
-UOP

I know there are couple reach schools like Columbia and UOP but I heard they are lenient if you have a good DAT score and want to try my chances. Not sure how much my dat will help with my absurdly low gpa though, I spent around half a year to prepare for my personal statement and all supplemental essay so I would consider they as strong. Need some inputs and opinion on this. Getting very discourage with everyone posting their gpa to be over 3.7 and I'm just border line 3.0

Members don't see this ad.

I know there are couple reach schools like Columbia and UOP but I heard they are lenient if you have a good DAT score and want to try my chances. Not sure how much my dat will help with my absurdly low gpa though, I spent around half a year to prepare for my personal statement and all supplemental essay so I would consider they as strong. Need some inputs and opinion on this. Getting very discourage with everyone posting their gpa to be over 3.7 and I'm just border line 3.0[/B]

Who told you this? Your committee? Did you talk to admissions professionals at the schools?

What were your year-by-year GPA's?

Who told you this? Your committee? Did you talk to admissions professionals at the schools?

What were your year-by-year GPA's?
I have talk to admission at Columbia but they didn't say they prefer higher dat more. These two schools are just rumors I heard from dental students and I take it with a grain of salt. I live in New York and my parents want me to give it a shot anyways. I have an upward trends here are my GPA by years.

Freshman: 2.75
Sophomore: 3.27
Junior: 3.29
Senior: 3.53

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. What advice have you already received about your profile? I don't think the grade trend is strong for Columbia, but I don't know what else you have in your favor. A strong committee letter suggests you have some insight from your advisors so what do they suggest?

Thanks. What advice have you already received about your profile? I don't think the grade trend is strong for Columbia, but I don't know what else you have in your favor. A strong committee letter suggests you have some insight from your advisors so what do they suggest?
Yea I figure, my gpa isnt the best right now. My advisor only told me that I might have a chance considering my dat. I'm not really concern about getting into reach school like columbia and UOP. I am concern about what are my chances to get into a dental school. Any dental school on my list is fine. Are my chances good for any of them?

Yea I figure, my gpa isnt the best right now. My advisor only told me that I might have a chance considering my dat. I'm not really concern about getting into reach school like columbia and UOP. I am concern about what are my chances to get into a dental school. Any dental school on my list is fine. Are my chances good for any of them?
i'd apply to more schools than 13, especially since UOP and Columbia are pretty far reaches...

What schools you recommend I add to the list. Are my chances of getting into NYU low too?
why would you think that your chances are low at NYU too?
i think you should do more research on the accepted stats at dental schools across the country...

You’ve graduated from college already? Post bacc work would help you a lot.

Ideally you could get into Buffalo I think that’s the cheapest NY school.

If you are paying with loans please don’t apply to NYU

Reactions: 1 user
Not applying to Stony Brook?

Hey I am a friend of his and his house had an outrage so I'll help him answer some of the questions above before things gets back working on his end. Yes he graduated from college and he is currently taking an informal postbacc to fulfill some of his science prerequisites. Buffalo is his top choice and hopefully he could get an interview from that school. Regarding NYU, he is afraid that he might not get into any dental school with his subpar GPA however if he gets into multiple school, NYU will be his last choice. He is not applying to Stony Brook because they require applicants to have all their prereqs ready during submission, his prereqs will not be finish until Jan and applying to stony brook then to land an interview is highly unlikely.

Hey I am a friend of his and his house had an outrage so I'll help him answer some of the questions above before things gets back working on his end. Yes he graduated from college and he is currently taking an informal postbacc to fulfill some of his science prerequisites. Buffalo is his top choice and hopefully he could get an interview from that school. Regarding NYU, he is afraid that he might not get into any dental school with his subpar GPA however if he gets into multiple school, NYU will be his last choice. He is not applying to Stony Brook because they require applicants to have all their prereqs ready during submission, his prereqs will not be finish until Jan and applying to stony brook then to land an interview is highly unlikely.
So he is willing to go 600k+ into debt for a DDS? I would strongly reconsider that

Usually low gpa is associated with subpar work ethic and or maturity. If you canan up and explain that away, and with no red flags, I'm sure you can get in somewhere. Apply broadly. GL.