VERY Odd Extra Curricular; workable? :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ISablaban

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In my opinion, you would be foolish not to include this on your application. It obviously does not count for medical experience or scientific research, but it is very interesting. It would be something that sets you apart from the crowd, and it would probably be brought up during your interviews, so it's a good conversation starter.

I think getting a LOR from this professor would also be a good idea, just as long as you have the other more important ones (DO, science faculty, etc).

Good luck!

Schools look for well rounded people. Your activities contribute to that point. Add them. Your job is customer service too. Doctors have clients and provide customer service. Add that too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely include it and get a letter of rec! It makes you unique and will allow your application to stand out from other people who all have the same EC's. Furthermore, it shows dedication and passion. It is quite perfect actually.

Thanks for the comments, I guess my idea of adding that wasn't as crazy as I thought.

I've got another question- and I'm kinda in the dark about this- but would you guys recommend doing volunteer work for a Mosque as a Muslim student? Or does that not come off as looking too good. I'd like to get some clean cut volunteer work under my belt, and I'm a little curious about that too. Thanks a bunch!

Thanks for the comments, I guess my idea of adding that wasn't as crazy as I thought.

I've got another question- and I'm kinda in the dark about this- but would you guys recommend doing volunteer work for a Mosque as a Muslim student? Or does that not come off as looking too good. I'd like to get some clean cut volunteer work under my belt, and I'm a little curious about that too. Thanks a bunch!

Well I would suggest maybe doing that because it would be something you are passionate about.... However, don't forget about shadowing or clinical volunteering!

People volunteer at their church, synagogue, etc. I don't think it would come off negatively in any way. It's good to have volunteering outside of the typical pre-med stuff.

Yeah and if you could, try to land a teaching position as a volunteer. Teach Islamic history or if you have a lot of immigrants there, you can teach English or if you have a lot of American-born people, you can teach Arabic (reading or speaking). Teaching experience looks really good to adcoms.

in my opinion, you would be foolish not to include this on your application. It obviously does not count for medical experience or scientific research, but it is very interesting. It would be something that sets you apart from the crowd, and it would probably be brought up during your interviews, so it's a good conversation starter.

I think getting a lor from this professor would also be a good idea, just as long as you have the other more important ones (do, science faculty, etc).

Good luck!

+1