1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

very silly question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Lisochka, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

what is the difference between alopatic and osteopathic?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Google is your friend. Here are the basics: allopathic physicians supposedly treat diseases separately while osteopathic physicians look at the whole person. In addition to regular medicine, osteopaths learn OMM, a manipulative therapy that can help treat pain associated with spine, etc. There's no difference in their jobs/rights in the U.S. Some other countries, however, don't acknowledge osteopathy and they can't practice there.

4. Darch

5+ Year Member

5. mtDNA

mtDNA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Really there is no difference...about 5% of osteopathic physicians practice OMM,
    other than that they both practice the same.

6. letmein!please?

letmein!please? Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Osteopathy has pseudo-scientific roots, but this was short-lived. Most "pseudo-scientific" practices are not used today, although some still are, but by a small minority of practicing osteopaths. In recent years it has become increasingly recognized (in the academic community) as a legitimate medical practice, and this will surely continue in the future. It's main "credo" is to "treat the body as a functional unit."

Depending on how important this sort of thing is to you, another big difference is:

Allopathic = MD
    Osteopathic = DO

Call me shallow, but after 4 years of med school I want an MD after my name. If you're less shallow than I am, you might find being a DO to be very stimulating and satisfying work. Some might see it as a more "humanistic" approach to medicine. Acceptance to Osteopathic programs is less competitive and, on average, slightly easier than Allopathic programs. This certainly does not help the reputation of the DO degree, despite the fact that many consider Osteopathy quite difficult to study because they learn "all the stuff that MD's learn plus all the uniquely osteopathic stuff", a claim I have heard several times before.

DO's also place in many of the same residencies as MD grads, and can do many of the same specialties...like surgery, for example...plus the unique osteopathic practices too. There are quite a few DO/PHD-ers out there too.

7. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  8. Messerschmitts

Messerschmitts Mythic Dawn acolyte
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ha ha, good way of summing it up. I have to admit though, I'm shallow too (and I bet a good number of SDNers are too) :p I want that M.D. behind my name. I mean, how would that FOX show sound like if it were "House D.O." instead of "House M.D."? But otherwise D.O. is truly not a bad programme.

9. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    Not much.

There are a couple of different classes in school, but they become essentially the same after residency begins.

Osteopathic medicine has a greater emphasis on preventive care, self-healing, and prepares students more to enter primary care fields.

Allopathic medicine emphasizes research and specialization more often.

Graduates of both schools are qualified to enter any physician field, however.

10. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you like to take alternative medications, e.g. herbs from the store, and are interested in chinese medicine, yoga, acupuncture, etc, then you want osteopathic. Otherwise, you want western medicine, aka allopathic.

11. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    Osteopathic medicine does not include training in chinese medicine, yoga, or acupuncture. There is very minimal training in herbal medicine. You are thinking about DOM's & ND's (not DO's.)

Osteopathic medicine IS western medicine. Osteopathic medical schools teach the exact same pharmacology courses as Allopathic medical schools.

:thumbdown:

12. JonnyG

JonnyG IN the hospitals....
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Let's get this straight osteopathy is actually AMERICAN medicine, while allopathy is EUROPEAN medicine. In other words, not really any difference. Well except for occassional snubs, but all in good fun.

13. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    Exactly. Both would be considered Western medicine.

Some of those descriptions were of Eastern medicine (something entirely different.)

14. tulane06

tulane06 Private Joker
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't agree with the whole allopathic label thing - it was invented by the creator of homeopathic medicine (Hahnemann, homeopathy is now widely recognized as a fraud discipline) to disparage the type of medicine performed by M.D.s.

15. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    Although true, it is simply used for identification purposes. You can call it what you want.

16. tulane06

tulane06 Private Joker
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  17. -Goose-

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    OSUdoc, whats the deal with the whole floating cranial bone theory?

18. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    Ask me after next semester, when we learn it. I don't know anything about it at this point.

(Other than that an MD pediatrician in town does craniosacral often on her patients. She is also an OMM instructor at our school.)

19. -Goose-

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    cool.

20. Phil Anthropist

Phil Anthropist SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Which ironically enough was (part of) the former name of Drexel's allopathic med school--Medical College of Pennsylvania-Hahnemann ;) (It was founded as a school of homeopathic medicine and eventually became an allopathic medical school.)

Lisochka--This topic has been discussed ad nauseum and often ends in piss wars. Please do a search and check out the FAQ in the Pre-Osteopathic forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=114983