Very specific SOP question for MSW/MPH programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entorin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new as a member, but have been hanging around on this forum off and on for months, and have found it very helpful. So thanks to everyone who posts.

I'm finally creating a new thread though because I have a very specific question. I'm applying to two MSW/MPH dual degree programs. In both cases, I have already been accepted to the MSW program, and am now applying through SOPHAS to the MPH program. My statement of purpose for the MPH program is very similar to the one I did for the MSW programs; many details are different, but the basic structure, examples used, and story of my past experience is much the same. My question is, will the adcoms for the public health programs look at my MSW essay and see that it's very similar? And will that be frowned upon? I don't want to sabotage myself, but my time for these applications is running out (for reasons I won't get into) and I'm worried I can't come up with another totally original essay.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for your time, anyone who reads this.

Members don't see this ad.

it's highly unlikely.

you're required to apply separately to each program, even within the same school, because the applications are viewed separately by completely different admissions committees--this explains why you're accepted into each individual program at different times, and why you're only accepted into the dual program after you've been accepted into both individual programs. therefore, unless someone from the MSW program shares your application with someone from the MPH program, they will likely never see it.

good luck finishing up your apps!

-waystinthyme

Last edited: