Very worried about my situation. Would appreciate any advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickylax26

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post on SDN or any discussion board. I am currently a Junior studying biology at a top 20 private school and I am extremely worried about how my application would look to admissions. I started college back in Fall 2015 and completed one year with 16 units per semester then transferred to the school I am currently at. I ended up taking a gap year before transferring and began my first semester in Fall 2017. Ive really been struggling with mental health issues and lack of motivation. I have been able to maintain a 3.8 but have been taking really light course load these past couple years. Two semesters I was considered part time and took 8 units. I have three semesters left and am taking a full and challenging course load from here on out. I am confident I can excel with this course load as I did it my freshman year. I have no excuse for the light course load except for the issues I mentioned. Will going below full time for two semesters ruin my chances of getting into medical school even if I have a good gpa and mcat? I plan on taking a gap year after undergrad regardless so I may be considered a non trad student. There is nothing I can do about the two light semesters at this point. Do you think this factor alone will impact my chances of admission? I am really stressed about this! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

That will not affect your chances for medical school admission. It is your final sGPA, cGPA, MCAT score and shadowing and clinical and non clinical volunteering hours that will determine your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
Take care of yourself first. Get your mental health issues well controlled before you even think of applying to med school. The two part time semesters aren’t important so stop worrying about them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users