Vet Care & Supplies For Your Own Pets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halterbroke

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
These questions are mostly for people who (plan to) own animals not in their area of specialty/concentration at work! Ie a small animal vet who also owns a horse.

What kinds of supplies do you plan to have on hand for these animals? Will you do routine care? Take them to a colleague who does primarily work on that species to establish a patient-vet relationship in case of serious illness? What do you anticipate feeling comfortable doing on your own animals (especially if in a species area that you don't see routinely), and when will you look for outside help?!

Just something I've been thinking about recently, and wondering if anyone else thinks about this too :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I'll probably keep taking my rabbits to the exotics vets at school because I'm way too attached to them to be objective. If I ever get a horse I would definitely let a horse vet handle that.

For horses,
detomidine, xylazine, banamine
something to remove a shoe and a hoof knife
euthanasia solution
antibiotic eye ointment
twitch and a stethoscope
maybe a nasogastric tube and mineral oil if you're comfortable tubing a horse

For routine care, vaccines and deworming, you don't really need to keep supplies on hand because you can get those as needed.