Vet Clinic Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youthman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK - this is a little off topic, but,

I have my first interview at a vet clinic tomorrow, for a "caretaker" position. It is at a pretty renowned clinic in Orange County. Anyways, should I wear a suit? Or just a button shirt and slacks? I'm used to putting on suits for things like this - but in this case it just feels like overkill and could actually hurt more than help. I know many of you have already gone down this path years ago. So, what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I would dress professional for any interview.
youthman said:

I have my first interview at a vet clinic tomorrow, for a "caretaker" position. It is at a pretty renowned clinic in Orange County. Anyways, should I wear a suit? Or just a button shirt and slacks? I'm used to putting on suits for things like this - but in this case it just feels like overkill and could actually hurt more than help. I know many of you have already gone down this path years ago. So, what do you guys think?

I dressed nice for a vet clinic interview last summer (khakis, low heels, button down shirt, etc) and I was hired on the spot and ended up working the rest of the morning, which was very difficult with the heels and all :) Probably wont happen, but maybe throw a change of clothes in your car ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
youthman said:

way to go! wear khakis and a button down shirt - maybe a blazer, but i would forgoe the full suit and tie. look professional and well groomed w/o looking like you are interviewing for a lawyer job (!) - - be yourself - your passion for what you do will carry the day. let me know how it goes and good luck!

Julia22 said:
way to go! wear khakis and a button down shirt - maybe a blazer, but i would forgoe the full suit and tie. look professional and well groomed w/o looking like you are interviewing for a lawyer job (!) - - be yourself - your passion for what you do will carry the day. let me know how it goes and good luck!

Hey there, I will certainly let you know how it goes!

youthman said:
Hey there, I will certainly let you know how it goes!

Best of luck - out of interest what clinic is it, coming from OC I am not familiar with any particularly renown ones.

If you want PM it to me.

Iain said:
Best of luck - out of interest what clinic is it, coming from OC I am not familiar with any particularly renown ones.

If you want PM it to me.

What hospital? The bigger ones in OC I'm aware of are Newport AH, HB AMC, and All Creatures in FV. Your interview may be over already, but it's important to express what your goals are in terms of working there. Be honest, and make sure that you convey that you'll do what it takes to be a good employee. I hire and fire pre-vets at my hospital all the time, and am always looking for a specific drive. Sometimes it is hard to tell those who are using the hospital as a stepping stone to vet school from those who see it as an important part of their career. Make sure you treat your job as the latter. It will make a big difference when the time comes around to write you a letter or rec, or give you an opportunity to step up to a clinical position.

Best of Luck -Nate

Hey guys, the interview went well. They asked me to come back next week with "working clothes" for a second interview so I think that's good news. Thanks for all your advice.

On another note, I'm still struggling with my post-bac situation. The fact that I'm in CA and not an under-represented minority (in medicine) makes it almost impossible to do a formal program at a UC. And to go through the extension program means not getting the classes I NEED - it's not like I have time to wait for the next quarter to do my prereqs... So, I'm considering looking for an out of state program, that's not too competitive to get in to (I got my transcript and it's not as I thought it would be) but still the same level as a UC - somewhere that I can take my 4 dogs with me :) Any suggestions?

Reactions: 1 user
youthman said:
On another note, I'm still struggling with my post-bac situation. The fact that I'm in CA and not an under-represented minority (in medicine) makes it almost impossible to do a formal program at a UC. And to go through the extension program means not getting the classes I NEED - it's not like I have time to wait for the next quarter to do my prereqs... So, I'm considering looking for an out of state program, that's not too competitive to get in to (I got my transcript and it's not as I thought it would be) but still the same level as a UC - somewhere that I can take my 4 dogs with me :) Any suggestions?

Why not Cal Poly Pomona? I don't think they offer a formal post-bacc per se, but they offer all your pre-req's, have a huge Animal Science program, and if you apply as a second bachelor's student, I think you can get financial aid. Plus, Cal Poly will give you opportunities for gaining animal experience that go beyond the usual small animal vet practice stuff. Sure, it's not Harvard, but it'll get you where you want to go if you do well on the pre-req's and distinguish yourself in other ways.

youthman said:
Hey guys, the interview went well. They asked me to come back next week with "working clothes" for a second interview so I think that's good news. Thanks for all your advice.

Cal Poly is a great school (although you shoud know that I may be biased...I did my undersgrad there:)

I am delighted it went well - best of luck next week. Coming from Orange County, I am in a very similar situation about choosing schools as you. I applied for Chapman, and have yet to hear back from them. I am also in communication with Southern Oregon University, and Southern Utah University, and their non-degree program.

Currently Southern Oregon is looking better - during my post bacc I will become an OR resident, which will be good for applying to OSU Vet. It is also quite cheap to live, the going rate for a room there is $300, about 1/4 of what I currently pay!

Heck and if you choose to go up there, and need a ride - let me know! :)