Vet Experience or Community Service???

Started by cms07c
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cms07c

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just joined so I'm not sure if this question has already been asked 3432542 times or not.

I'll be a sophomore at FSU this semester and am just now taking on veterinary experience hours. I just got accepted as a volunteer at a 'community animal service center', which I guess is the same thing as the humane society. I have to first do 10 general hours before I become a veterinary volunteer. I don't know if this sounds dumb or not, but is this considered community service, or is this veterinary experience? Thanks!
 
I just joined so I'm not sure if this question has already been asked 3432542 times or not.

I'll be a sophomore at FSU this semester and am just now taking on veterinary experience hours. I just got accepted as a volunteer at a'community animal service center', which I guess is the same thing as the humane society. I have to first do 10 general hours before I become a veterinary volunteer. I don't know if this sounds dumb or not, but is this considered community service, or is this veterinary experience? Thanks!

Depends if you are working for a veterinarian or not. If they dont have a vet there then it would be animal experience. If they have a vet there all the time it would be considered veterinary experience(but its kind a a grey zone if you have no interaction with the vet and you just clean cages and walk dogs). If they have a vet their part time, and you assist the vet with stuff, then that is definitely vet experience and the rest of the time would be animal experience.
 
Ditto what David said - sounds like those first 10 hours would be animal experience and the remainder as veterinary experience. Have fun!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ditto what David said - sounds like those first 10 hours would be animal experience and the remainder as veterinary experience. Have fun!

Or it could be 10 hours cleaning before they let you do anything animal related....

To the OP, Every situation is different and none of us can tell you what its going to be until you are there and actually doing it.
 
yeah they said the first 10 hours would be kennel work and then I'd be able to work as the vet volunteer where I'd be taking care of the animals before/after surgery and stuff like that. Thank you all for your help!

Also, I was wondering, I have this set up and then possibly another volunteer position at a rehabilitation center for animals, will vet school look down upon the fact that I'm only doing volunteer work and not getting paid for it?
 
Just FYI, if you ever have trouble classifying any type of experience the people at VMCAS are happy to help you and they are very friendly...so just give them a call! They will be able to tell you what experience goes where. I called them several times during my application process and they were alyways helpful and nice.