This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressedstudent9621

Reaction score
Hello. I just wanted to know if it would be a bad idea to go to a school that offers a degree in vet health science and vet technology and not major in either if I might want to be a vet. I originally choose the school for this specific major but am beginning to have second thoughts due to the cost of vet school and the stress that the career carries with it. However, I don't know what other careers I may be interested in other than pharmacy (maybe). I just don't want to pass that degree up in case I do decide to go to vet school but I also don't want a degree that isn't very useful if I don't go. Would it be better to major in either in pre-med chemistry or biology and then minor in whichever one I don't major in? This track prepares me for either med school, pharmacy, or vet school but is less specific. I have considered sticking with the vet health science major and minoring in biology or chem but there is a lot of overlap in the curriculum so it wouldn't be much different. I hope this makes sense, I am really anxious about my future right now and would love some advice. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I just wanted to know if it would be a bad idea to go to a school that offers a degree in vet health science and vet technology and not major in either if I might want to be a vet. I originally choose the school for this specific major but am beginning to have second thoughts due to the cost of vet school and the stress that the career carries with it. However, I don't know what other careers I may be interested in other than pharmacy (maybe). I just don't want to pass that degree up in case I do decide to go to vet school but I also don't want a degree that isn't very useful if I don't go. Would it be better to major in either in pre-med chemistry or biology and then minor in whichever one I don't major in? This track prepares me for either med school, pharmacy, or vet school but is less specific. I have considered sticking with the vet health science major and minoring in biology or chem but there is a lot of overlap in the curriculum so it wouldn't be much different. I hope this makes sense, I am really anxious about my future right now and would love some advice. Thank you in advance!
Honestly, it doesn't matter what you major in, as long as you get the pre-reqs in. I would personally major in something that you could use as a back-up in case vet school doesn't work out.

As well, shadowing a vet is probably a good starting point to see if vet school is something you would be interested in :)

Reactions: 2 users
Your undergrad major doesn't matter, mine was in film and all my prereqs were pieced together after the fact. Get a degree you could use for several career options and then do some shadowing. Also talk to some pharmacy people cuz that industry is drastically changing right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, it doesn't matter what you major in, as long as you get the pre-reqs in. I would personally major in something that you could use as a back-up in case vet school doesn't work out.

As well, shadowing a vet is probably a good starting point to see if vet school is something you would be interested in :)

Or in case you change your mind, too. Lots of stuff can happen.

Reactions: 1 users

Major in something you think you like. Chemistry, biology... sociology... whatever. If you want to do vet school, you have to take the required courses, and those won't overlap as well with a non-science major, but it still works. Pre-pharm requirements will be sort of similar to the pre-vet requirements, I would think.

I started in animal science, and then switched to zoology - both with vet school in mind. At the end, I realized that vet school might not happen, and I ended up getting another degree in microbiology, which is my happy place. I did get in, but I'm glad to have that degree as well, and it would have been a good backup for me.

Volunteer at a clinic (or shadow, really) and see what you think, talk to the vets about their job and their debt and look at it without rose-colored glasses. Maybe find a way to shadow another medical field too that you may be interested in - pharm, dental, MD/DO, whatever. Take your time in figuring out what you want, and in the meantime, take classes that interest you and do well in them. And save as much money as possible. :)