Vet med the alternative to Human medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm quiet too, so I have gotten that same response. Except it usually ends with, "Oh, vet school. I have this cat (dog, horse, rabbit, etc) and I got him from here, he was sick with this and this and here is his whole life history.....". I sometimes try to say veterinary school or that I am studying veterinary medicine instead so there is less confusion in the first place.

YES. I have always wondered why people do this so frequently. Maybe they're just not sure what kind of small talk to make with a vet student. I suppose it could be worse: "Oh you're a medical student? Would you mind looking at this ______ on my _____??" :uhno:

Members don't see this ad.

YES. I have always wondered why people do this so frequently. Maybe they're just not sure what kind of small talk to make with a vet student. I suppose it could be worse: "Oh you're a medical student? Would you mind looking at this ______ on my _____??" :uhno:

"awesome! when you graduate can I get free vet care? discounts?.... ive only known you for a month but of course I'm so special and we're bff now so how could you not give me free vet care?!"

x100

sighhh so annoying

"awesome! when you graduate can I get free vet care? discounts?.... ive only known you for a month but of course I'm so special and we're bff now so how could you not give me free vet care?!"

x100

sighhh so annoying

I got that from my boss who wrote one of my LORs. Kinda hadda to say "sure". Hopefully I won't be practicing anywhere near where he lives (if I ever make it through school).

Members don't see this ad :)

x100

sighhh so annoying

I just tell everyone I'll be doing research, not practicing. :)

I got that from my boss who wrote one of my LORs. Kinda hadda to say "sure". Hopefully I won't be practicing anywhere near where he lives (if I ever make it through school).

yea, my boss has 8 dogs. lol

Tiktaalik I just tell everyone I'll be doing research, not practicing. :)

i say this too! lol

A clinician I worked with used to say he was in between jobs or that he was unemployed at the moment to avoid those questions. ESPECIALLY when he was on long flights. I pretty much do the same now unless I really know the person well.

Its mostly self preservation - I don't mind sharing some advice, but most people don't ACTUALLY want to hear it and would rather spout off what they read on joe schmoe from backwoods Idaho's website than agree with medical fact. In an effort to prevent myself from getting too many *facepalm* concusions I've just adopted the smile, nod and hum along like you care response. And then with new people I just pretend I have no clue about vet med.

Med school definitely has less pre-reqs than vet school, but it also depends on where you are going. I was pre-med for undergrad and when I decided to change to pre-vet I had to add on a year of biochem, intro animal science, animal nutrition, public speaking, and technical writing to the pre-med requirements.

I think medical school and veterinary school are equally as hard to get into. The difference is most people don't know what it takes to become a veterinarian, but they know how much schooling it takes to become a doctor so they assume the latter is harder.

Thats funny, my back up is pharmacy school!
Unless you're a biochem whiz, Pharmacy will probably kick your ass. My wife just started her P2 year and lost me pretty quickly when she started talking about natural logs and calculating the release and absorption rates of drugs after compounding, etc. I usually can hang with her on the anatomy and physiology (probably outrun her on some of the phys, but we won't tell her that), but discussions of pharmacokinetics and pharmaceutics brings on the glazed eyes fast.

Med school definitely has less pre-reqs than vet school, but it also depends on where you are going. I was pre-med for undergrad and when I decided to change to pre-vet I had to add on a year of biochem, intro animal science, animal nutrition, public speaking, and technical writing to the pre-med requirements.

I think medical school and veterinary school are equally as hard to get into. The difference is most people don't know what it takes to become a veterinarian, but they know how much schooling it takes to become a doctor so they assume the latter is harder.

What made you decide to switch from Pre-Med to Pre-Vet? I have been struggling with the decision but switching from Pre-Vet to Pre-Med.