Vet Reference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sask17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So the only thing I have left on my application is to find a vet reference. Unfortunately I have low hours of vet experience due to working a full time job all summer. However, I have just started volunteering at a new clinic and have got in 30 hours over the last two weeks. I am wondering if it is unprofessional to ask the vet at this clinic as a reference? We spent one day together and seemed to get along really well, but have not got to spend a lot of time with the vet since that day ( he is mostly on calls). The vet techs at this clinic know me well and maybe could give some information on my work habits to the vet.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that's enough time.

But! Applications aren't due until October 1st, 2011, so you have quite a bit of time to build a relationship with the techs, this vet, and potentially other vets. By then, you should have formed enough of a relationship to result in a good letter of recommendation. Keep at it, and by the time apps roll around, you should be set. No need to get worried now.

Based on your screen name and post (and I'm sorry if I'm wrong), but is this for the application to WCVM?

I don't think that's enough experience to ask the vet for a reference, since you've only had 30 hours and have only really spent one day with the vet. You could try asking some of the techs or other workers that you know better and ask them their opinion, since they probably know the vet pretty well and know whether or not he'd be willing to do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to echo everyone else: you haven't spent nearly enough time with this vet. Plus, you don't want to rely on others to relay your strengths/character traits to a letter writer; you want your letter writer to KNOW you and be able to check all of those little boxes next to "reliable" and "mature" and stuff like that. If the vet cannot answer these things honestly and on his own, he isn't a good letter writer at this time. You have months left before applications are due again so I would focus on getting more hours with this vet and then ask for a recommendation.

hello,

I am applying to WCVM. I asked the tech and they thought it would be ok to ask him.

Thanks for everyones input

Good luck with your reference!

Just so the Americans know, vet school applications in Canada are... a lot later than the US. WCVM applications are due in... about 3 weeks I think? Maybe a little less.