Vet Related Books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pandacinny

VMRCVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd post a couple of vet related books here that other people might like to pick up. Please feel free to add any others (even if they're only really tangentially related to vet med) to the list! :D

Tell Me Where it Hurts by Nick Trout is a really fun, engaging read. The writing really gives you a good feel for how hectic and fast paced a vet's life can be.

I'm currently reading The Rhino With Glue-On Shoes, edited by Dr. Lucy Spelman and Dr. Ted Mashima. It's a series of short essays by zoo veterinarians on interesting cases and memories they have. It's pretty interesting because it covers a lot of species and a lot of crazy situations.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey , thanks! I've never heard of the "Rhino..." book. I'll definitely check it out.

Here's a previous thread on books:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=528411&highlight=marley+me

As you can tell by the highlighted search terms, I read and enjoyed Marley and Me. Sadly, they're making a ******ed movie with Jenifer Aniston and Owen Wilson. At least I don't think I'll like it, they'll prolly make it corny.

Any books not already in that thread, post here, I'd love to have some more for my list!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. John McCormack's books, including Fields and Pastures New, and Friend of the Flock are really good (and he's an Auburn alum for those of you attending/applying there :))

And of course who could forget James Herriot's books, they're classic! His son, Jim Wight, also wrote an AMAZING biography of him that's pretty easy to find, and a wonderful read.

The James Herriot books are just amazing. And the only books I've read to make me laugh out loud.

If you're into wildlife medicine, there's "Appointments at the Ends of the World" and "Life at the Zoo." Both were pretty good reads.

This is not vet-related, but every veterinarian I know says to read House of God. It is older but still pretty relevant - and shocking and not at the same time.

If you would prefer fiction, Water for Elephants was pretty good--it's about a circus vet in the 1930s.

Although this isn't really a veterinary book, the book Alex and Me is one of the best animal-related books that I have ever read. It is a story about Alex, the intellectual African Grey parrot (who passed away last year), and the scientist, Dr. Pepperberg, who was studying the parrot's intelligence and capacity for language and logical thinking. The book shows the intelligence of the African Grey parrot and will change the perception that people have of a "bird brain" (it should be taken as a compliment!). It is a truly emotional and inspirational story, not only about the intelligence of birds, but also about interspecies relationships. However, it definitely will generate a strong emotional response (usually in the form of uncontrollable tears!). This book affected me so much that I sent an e-mail to Dr. Pepperberg and donated money to the Alex Foundation! Of course, it also helps that I share my life with an African Grey parrot!

A great vet memoir I found recently is called Viva el Vet! by David Grant. It's by an English vet who takes a job in Medellin, Colombia, in the 70s, and goes through all kinds of personal and professional culture shock. Full of stories, well-written, a very fun read.

Thanks for bringing up this topic (and thanks TwelveTigers for posting the link to the old thread). I went to the library this afternoon and am now equipped with lots of great looking books for the upcoming holidays!

I got:
If Wishes Were Horses
Tell Me Where it Hurts
Animal ER (Tufts)
There were more in the same section, but I tried to leave some for other people:).

I just have to make it through 2 days of work this week and then I get to curl up with the dogs and the books for a few days!

Animal Hospital by Stephen Sawicki--great book about Angell Memorial in Boston!

Nick Trout is from Angell as well. I didn't know there were two books about the hospital. I used to work there, I'll have to pick that second one up. :)

Vegan Chick - I read House of God a couple years ago. Definitely shocking, but really good. I hear that everything is pretty realistic except for all the hot sex :laugh: (isnt that always the case?)

BTW, in case you've never heard about it, it's a satire about a bunch of burnt out, disillusioned medical interns.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great books, all interesting for those looking into Behavior or just interested in dog/animal psychology:
The Other End of The Leash - I believe by Patricia McCormack, an Applied Animal Behaviorist who talks about communicating and understanding dog body language and getting out of the primate brain to better understand dogs
Thinking in Pictures - Temple Grandin's first book, she is a Prof of Animal Science at CSU and a woman with Autism, speaks about herself and her ideas of how animals think, namely visually-based not verbally. She wrote a second one more specifically about animals but I'm blanking on the name and found both fascinating anyway (so why not read the first one first).

Keep the list coming - this is great!

On a side note, OSJ, I hope Michigan is treating you well. Keep your fingers crossed for me this round and remember stay as far away from yogurt as possible!

This was mentioned in the thread linked to above, but i really enjoyed The Veterinarian's Touch by Lee Gutkind. He is a non-veterinarian writing about a 10 or so veterinarians in different parts of the profession. I especially enjoyed the sections on two zoo veterinarians, but thought the sections on a couple SA vets in Manhattan were tedious.
Temple Grandin's stuff is really interesting. Also in the realm of animal behavior, I liked Merle's Door: Lessons from a Free Thinking Dog by Ted Kerasote. I thought If Wishes Were Horses was alright in the sense of giving you a glimpse of what actual vet school is like, but it was a terrible piece of literature and I have no idea how anyone agreed to publish it. I felt like I was reading someone's unedited blog, because there were so many irrelevant tangents.

Temple Grandin's animal-specific book is called Animals in Translation and it is awesome!

Temple Grandin's animal-specific book is called Animals in Translation and it is awesome!

Except where she says no one should ever own certain types of animals, like all-white dogs... As a double-merle BC rescue owner, that made me sad, although I do agree that they're prone to some physical problems.

One of the things I found really amazing about Grandin's book was her stories about hyperspecific fears in animals, particularly horses... Like a story about a horse who has a specific fear of black cowboy hats. I had suspected that horses and other animals categorized things this way but it was great to get confirmation and learn a little more about animal awareness & reactivity.

Here's another one that I had never heard of, "Emergency Vet" by Lillian M. Roberts. I found an old, ragged copy at a used bookstore and decided to buy it. I've only read a few pages in but it seems pretty good. So far I really like how the author is not only talking about cases, but her time in vet school as well.

My advisor actually gave me this book call "Kicked Bitten and Scratched" (I don't remember the author's name)

It's not directly vet medicine, but it's about this really well-known exotic animal training school where student work together and learn things about themselves, each other, and animals.

I really loved it, I would recommend it to everyone interested in working with animals, especially exotic ones

No one has any more suggestions, right?

I'm going on a cruise next week (poor me) and I'd like some reading material while laying out in the sunnn... :D

I feel just terrible for you - having to suffer in the sun on a cruise and all...I am currently watching snow fall in New Jersey so a cruise would be fantastic right about now....

ENJOY!

No one has any more suggestions, right?

I'm going on a cruise next week (poor me) and I'd like some reading material while laying out in the sunnn... :D
Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte isn't vet related, but it is pet related. It's a quick read and fairly amusing. It strikes as a good book to read while on a cruise! I also really like both of Temple Grandin's books.

I finished reading this book while I was in the middle of applying for vet school. It really kept me motivated, especially when I felt like I was drowning in supplemental applications!

Many of the stories were about animals from the National Zoo and since I use to volunteer as a zoo keeper aide I found it particularly enjoyable.

I recommend this book to everyone!