Vet Scholars Pathway MSU

Started by ae1992
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ae1992

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a freshman at MSU, and I'm a member of the Honors College. Because of AP credits, I'm actually applying this spring/summer to vet school through the vet scholars admission pathway, and I was wondering if there was anyone who is also applying, or got in through this program, or has any helpful knowledge about it. I'll have a pretty good GPA by the time I apply (3.8-4.0 range most likely) and am taking the GRE this winter and probably again in the spring so I will hopefully do well on that, but I'm worried about not having enough experience. I volunteered at a small animal clinic this past summer, but only for about 50 hours total. I have research experience through MSU's Professorial Assistant program (working in a fish lab) and then I will have experience doing research through my dad's practice (he's an orthopedic spine surgeon). And I'll also be an active member of PVMA at the end of this year. Does anyone know if my lack of hands on animal experience will influence my chances of getting in?
 
Last edited:
If you're only applying to MSU then I wouldn't worry about it as long as you keep your GPA up. They make their first cuts based on SIS score - which is a combination of GPA, last 45 hours GPA, and GRE score. So you do well on the GRE and have an outstanding GPA you will probably be automatically accepted, even if you have minimal experience. And they really like people with research experience. I was wait listed there last year and in my file review they told me the 5 areas they look at (after SIS score) are veterinary experience, research experience, large/food animal/agriculture experience, volunteer experience, and "overcoming a socio-economic barrier."
 
Also, it can't hurt you at all to get more experience. Especially if you ever consider applying to other schools besides MSU. Plus, the more experience you have in clinics will help you in the future when you start working in one, and the more animal experience you have will help you feel more comfortable around them when you start doing hands on things in vet school. Hope this helps! 🙂
 
I did the same thing as you. I started at MSU with sophmore status, applied the summer after my first year, and was accepted to vet scholars. I will start next fall.
Vet scholars is becoming VERY competitive. I believe they focus more on experience, recommendations, and extra curriculars. For example- at the time of my application, I had 2500 hours of small animal vet experience, 50 hours of large animal vet experience, and very diverse LA/SA/exotic animal experience. I fostered, raised money for a foster charity through events, had excellent recommendations from two vets and my advisor (which you have to have for vet scholars), an awesome personal statement, and a lot of other science related activities outside of school. I had a 3.7/3.6 1200 GRE. From what I heard, there were over 10 people with a 4.0 (only 10 people accepted every year) and I was still accepted, a long with a few other people that had about the same grades as I did. So, it's not all about grades. I believe they are looking for well-rounded students.
Oh, and if I remember correctly, there is no SIS for vet scholars (at least not when I applied in 2010)