Vet school applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurevet_11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a silly question, especially because I am no where near close to applying to veterinary schools, but I have started looking to see the ones I like so I get the proper requirements.
Does one school know what other schools and how many you applied to? For example, if I apply to Auburn and they're reviewing my app, will they know I also applied to UF, NCSU, Purdue, Cornell, and Ohio? If they do know, is it frowned upon to apply to a lot of schools?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, schools can't see on your application where else you applied (though @VMCASSTAFF would know for sure). They might ask you in interviews. But I don't think it is frowned upon to apply to many schools, with the caveat that you should have a reason for applying to each that you can discuss in your interview. I know of a few people who applied to more than the averge number of schools this cycle (I believe the average is 4) and got plenty of acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard that they can see it - but I don't know for sure. I do know that the application asks what non-VMCAS schools you're applying to, but I'm not sure if this is for statistical data, or if the information is given to the schools. I'm not sure why they would care where else you applied, because most applicants apply to multiple schools.

I don't think it's frowned on to apply to a lot of schools. Most people apply to as many as they can afford to, just to increase their chance of getting a seat. Some schools are going to ask why you applied to their program, so you should be prepared to answer that.

Members don't see this ad :)
This may seem like a silly question, especially because I am no where near close to applying to veterinary schools, but I have started looking to see the ones I like so I get the proper requirements.
Does one school know what other schools and how many you applied to? For example, if I apply to Auburn and they're reviewing my app, will they know I also applied to UF, NCSU, Purdue, Cornell, and Ohio? If they do know, is it frowned upon to apply to a lot of schools?

No, they won't. And no, it isn't frowned upon. They don't really have much reason to care how many other schools you're interested in.

That said .... My personal *opinion* (it's truly an opinion.... don't really think there's a 'right' or 'wrong') is that applying to more than 3-4 is kinda silly. You probably have some diminishing returns effects at > 4 schools. If you don't get into any of four, you're not likely to get in by applying to more (though I do know of exceptions). And, it's expensive to apply to a lot of schools. And if you end up interviewing at a bunch, travel costs can get very high very quickly. So I think it makes more sense to pick 3-4 schools that you truly know you want to be at, and where you think you have a good chance of being competitive, and go from there.

But .... that said .... it's not 'wrong' to apply to more. :)

. If you don't get into any of four, you're not likely to get in by applying to more (though I do know of exceptions). And, it's expensive to apply to a lot of schools. And if you end up interviewing at a bunch, travel costs can get very high very quickly. So I think it makes more sense to pick 3-4 schools that you truly know you want to be at, and where you think you have a good chance of being competitive, and go from there.

Exception here! :p

In all seriousness, what LIS is saying isn't bad advice. You can apply to more than 3-4 but it does get expensive and you run the risk of having two interviews on the same day or close enough together that you have to withdraw your application from one.

Exception here! :p

Yeah yeah. You also switched vet schools mid-stream, so you're just weird all the way around.

(Seriously, though, you have to give DVMD kudos for having the guts to make the decision to change things up. Tough move to make.)

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah yeah. You also switched vet schools mid-stream, so you're just weird all the way around.

(Seriously, though, you have to give DVMD kudos for having the guts to make the decision to change things up. Tough move to make.)

Yeah, I kind of had to switch it up for my own sanity. It wasn't easy at first, but I've settled in now. :)

No, they won't. And no, it isn't frowned upon. They don't really have much reason to care how many other schools you're interested in.

That said .... My personal *opinion* (it's truly an opinion.... don't really think there's a 'right' or 'wrong') is that applying to more than 3-4 is kinda silly. You probably have some diminishing returns effects at > 4 schools. If you don't get into any of four, you're not likely to get in by applying to more (though I do know of exceptions). And, it's expensive to apply to a lot of schools. And if you end up interviewing at a bunch, travel costs can get very high very quickly. So I think it makes more sense to pick 3-4 schools that you truly know you want to be at, and where you think you have a good chance of being competitive, and go from there.

i think this probably depends on how smart you are when you apply - if you apply to 4 that look closely at x but thats your weak spot (despite being super amazing at y, z, a, b, and c) you're unlikely to get in. if you apply to 10 schools - some that care mostly about x, some that care more about y and z, and some that care more about x and a, you're going to get a much more variable return.

also i cant remember - do you pay by school for vmcas? or is it like virmp (internship match) where you pay x amount for a certain number, y amount to add on several more and so on?

i think this probably depends on how smart you are when you apply - if you apply to 4 that look closely at x but thats your weak spot (despite being super amazing at y, z, a, b, and c) you're unlikely to get in. if you apply to 10 schools - some that care mostly about x, some that care more about y and z, and some that care more about x and a, you're going to get a much more variable return.

also i cant remember - do you pay by school for vmcas? or is it like virmp (internship match) where you pay x amount for a certain number, y amount to add on several more and so on?

You're right. I should have been more clear; if you TARGET your applications, then applying to more than 4 probably isn't useful. But I agree with jmo1012's point completely.

In my head, I remember it as "you pay per school".... but I only applied to one school. And it was 5 years ago.

You pay school by school. So it does get expensive pretty quickly.

OP: You can apply to as many schools as you can afford to apply to, although as others have said, if you wouldn't accept an offer, don't apply. I've heard from former admissions officers that applying to more than 10 schools is excessive and may be looked down upon. At that point, you are either incredibly indecisive or have no confidence in yourself as an applicant.

It's $200 for the first school, the $100 for each school after

You're right. I should have been more clear; if you TARGET your applications, then applying to more than 4 probably isn't useful. But I agree with jmo1012's point completely.

In my head, I remember it as "you pay per school".... but I only applied to one school. And it was 5 years ago.
yeah i think i vaguely remember pay per school now...idk it was so long ago haha. probably makes more sense haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a crazy number of applications success story (but I've met people who applied to more schools than I did).

Anyway. I'm glad I applied to a lot of schools and attended several interviews (I was actually able to keep all of my interviews with only one gracious rescheduling). I learned A LOT... things that you just can't glean from a website regardless of your internet stalker skills. ;)

Gaining "perspective" is one of the most important LIFE experiences, and my application process delivered that to me in a new way.

You can apply to a lot of places without being willy-nilly about it. It doesn't necessarily mean you have low self-esteem or can't make decisions. Some people like options... and I certainly don't like blanket statements. I chose my schools for very specific reasons, but that should be the case whether you're applying to one or thirteen or whatever.

Main thing: consider the schools, consider the cost of applying/interviewing/traveling... you know, be smart about it. What worked for me may not work for others. Just be confident in what you decide to do.

You can apply to a lot of places without being willy-nilly about it. It doesn't necessarily mean you have low self-esteem or can't make decisions. Some people like options... and I certainly don't like blanket statements. I chose my schools for very specific reasons, but that should be the case whether you're applying to one or thirteen or whatever.

Main thing: consider the schools, consider the cost of applying/interviewing/traveling... you know, be smart about it. What worked for me may not work for others. Just be confident in what you decide to do.

I didn't mean to make a blanket statement, I just wanted to share something I've heard from vets who have experience with admissions. If you want options and can afford to apply to 10+ schools, are interested in the programs, and think you are competitive at that school, great. You just shouldn't apply to 20 schools because you don't think you'll get in anywhere.

So each school doesn't have their own price for an application?

So each school doesn't have their own price for an application?
Nope, it's all through VMCAS. Though each school may have a supplemental application fee. Illi and Ohio each had a $60 sub fee, while Purdue just had a page and no fee.

Nope, it's all through VMCAS. Though each school may have a supplemental application fee. Illi and Ohio each had a $60 sub fee, while Purdue just had a page and no fee.

Then you have the fun ones that are "fill out this card that asks 3 questions that are already on VMCAS and pay us $90"....

Reactions: 6 users
... and then every state has its own fees for licensing, and NAVLE sucks you dry by several hundred dollars for the privilege of sitting down at a vintage 1990s computer to take a multiple-choice test with pictures that look like they were drawn on cave walls, and the government tags you for a DEA license, and .... get used to it now. It just never ends. And absolutely none of the 'fees' you pay as a vet are anywhere remotely in line with the cost to actually provide the service you're paying for.

Sorry. Grump-out moment.

Reactions: 5 users
... and then every state has its own fees for licensing, and NAVLE sucks you dry by several hundred dollars for the privilege of sitting down at a vintage 1990s computer to take a multiple-choice test with pictures that look like they were drawn on cave walls, and the government tags you for a DEA license, and .... get used to it now. It just never ends. And absolutely none of the 'fees' you pay as a vet are anywhere remotely in line with the cost to actually provide the service you're paying for.

Sorry. Grump-out moment.

I am currently making a significant attempt to save up money to cover all these fees that I know are coming up... have the money for the NAVLE and vetprep covered right now.

I applied to 15 because I was OOS everywhere (thanks, NJ) and had no idea how competitive I was going to be. In retrospect that was probably overkill. However, I will say that if I only applied to 3 schools, I would not be at Ohio as it was not even on my radar before my interview. So there you have it.

Sorry. Grump-out moment.
yeah
and those DEA licenses are only good for 3 years but state licensing may be every year even and they cost big money to pay for. And don't forget professional liability insurances, too.

And there's more once you own a business, too. It's never ending.

Approximately, how much are state and DEA licensing? (Just looking for a rough ballpark since each state will be different with their license fee)....

Approximately, how much are state and DEA licensing? (Just looking for a rough ballpark since each state will be different with their license fee)....

State varies, I presume. In MN it's $320 for your first two years (including your state boards). DEA new is .... $731 for 3 yrs? Is that right, @dyachei ?

i've seen several states now for roughly $250 for a 2 year license (but i know it can be more or less than that). i think someone told me it was about $600 for DEA license for 3 years?

yeah so fun and games guys, its like and extra $1200+ to actually practice veterinary medicine once you graduate with a degree. yay.

Thanks for the estimates!

Curious how many will be able to get these covered by their employer since I know some places do offer a bit of money to cover licensing depending on where you get a job.

State varies, I presume. In MN it's $320 for your first two years (including your state boards). DEA new is .... $731 for 3 yrs? Is that right, @dyachei ?
i've seen several states now for roughly $250 for a 2 year license (but i know it can be more or less than that). i think someone told me it was about $600 for DEA license for 3 years?

yeah so fun and games guys, its like and extra $1200+ to actually practice veterinary medicine once you graduate with a degree. yay.
I think my DEA was $731 the last time I renewed.

State licensure here is roughly $250/2 years. Every state is different though

Thanks for the estimates!

Curious how many will be able to get these covered by their employer since I know some places do offer a bit of money to cover licensing depending on where you get a job.
I asked one potential employer and got laughed at. The corporate chain I worked at considered them "CE funds" and covered them, but then I couldn't do CE

I asked one potential employer and got laughed at. The corporate chain I worked at considered them "CE funds" and covered them, but then I couldn't do CE

Yeah, I have been doing some poking around to see what some of the current job offers are saying online. Some mention covering licensing and some do not. I am sure some places would laugh, but it is definitely something we have been encouraged to at least discuss and look for when job searching.

Yeah, I have been doing some poking around to see what some of the current job offers are saying online. Some mention covering licensing and some do not. I am sure some places would laugh, but it is definitely something we have been encouraged to at least discuss and look for when job searching.
definitely not a discussion to have first time talking to them ;)

definitely not a discussion to have first time talking to them ;)

Really? Is this because there are so many people out there who will take the job no matter what the compensation package? That's kind of a scary thought.

Really? Is this because there are so many people out there who will take the job no matter what the compensation package? That's kind of a scary thought.

Yeah, you really just have to be careful. You don't want to lose what would be a good job because you were asking for "too" much. You have to be willing to compromise on things as well on your end. So, if you want things like licensing and professional liability covered, you should be prepared to take a bit of a pay cut because that is additional money that the employer is shelling out for you. Just like you have certain needs for a job and what you need to make, the employer also has a limit on how much they can pay you... got to figure out a happy middle ground. Unfortunately, with the job market recently employers probably have the upper hand as places are usually getting multiple applicants for one position, so if you won't accept what they offer, someone else might.

Yeah, you really just have to be careful. You don't want to lose what would be a good job because you were asking for "too" much. You have to be willing to compromise on things as well on your end. So, if you want things like licensing and professional liability covered, you should be prepared to take a bit of a pay cut because that is additional money that the employer is shelling out for you. Just like you have certain needs for a job and what you need to make, the employer also has a limit on how much they can pay you... got to figure out a happy middle ground.

Yeah, it's all part of the total compensation package. I worry sometimes about what the job market is going to be like right out of school.

OP: You can apply to as many schools as you can afford to apply to, although as others have said, if you wouldn't accept an offer, don't apply. I've heard from former admissions officers that applying to more than 10 schools is excessive and may be looked down upon. At that point, you are either incredibly indecisive or have no confidence in yourself as an applicant.
The bolded part is SO IMPORTANT. I don't know why but it hurts me every time someone talks about potentially turning down their only acceptance because they don't want to live there/pay OOS tuition/want to try their IS again. I just see the VMCAS $$ being thrown down the drain and it makes me cry internally.

Reactions: 4 users
I also don't understand applying to a school if you have no intention of ever going there. I was very careful about where I applied and I ranked them in order of preference. There was one school that was my last choice, but I also felt I had a fairly good chance of getting accepted to that school. I went into the application process knowing that if that was my only acceptance, that is where I would go even though it was expensive and far away.

Reactions: 4 users
In my case, I was admittedly naive in application this year, and behind the ball in other things. I applied to Illi because of the location and the curriculum, thinking that the money "wouldn't be an issue." Well after a few months, and reading a lot of post-grad testimonies, I started re-thinking things. It got cemented when the associate dean during my interview day said "I love the OOS, but if you can take a gap year, save money, and get into your IS, DO IT."

I'm a crazy number of applications success story (but I've met people who applied to more schools than I did).

Anyway. I'm glad I applied to a lot of schools and attended several interviews (I was actually able to keep all of my interviews with only one gracious rescheduling). I learned A LOT... things that you just can't glean from a website regardless of your internet stalker skills. ;)

Gaining "perspective" is one of the most important LIFE experiences, and my application process delivered that to me in a new way.

where are you going?
Haven't seen your posts much since the "banned" and change-a-letter threads died. (not that I read many these days).

I also don't understand applying to a school if you have no intention of ever going there. I was very careful about where I applied and I ranked them in order of preference. There was one school that was my last choice, but I also felt I had a fairly good chance of getting accepted to that school. I went into the application process knowing that if that was my only acceptance, that is where I would go even though it was expensive and far away.
+27

where are you going?
Haven't seen your posts much since the "banned" and change-a-letter threads died. (not that I read many these days).

Yeah I toned my posting back for awhile. I have 3 acceptances so far (yay!!), and I'm waiting for news from 2 more schools, so I'm waiting til everything's in to decide. I'll letcha know when I do though! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I toned my posting back for awhile. I have 3 acceptances so far (yay!!), and I'm waiting for news from 2 more schools, so I'm waiting til everything's in to decide. I'll letcha know when I do though! :)

You can't start vet school anywhere until @LetItSnow gets the boomerang you promised him....

Reactions: 2 users