Vet School Consideration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roscar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first two years of college, I had to work full time and I took 15-18 class hours each semester (I worked due to my parents lack of financial support). Now that I'm a junior, I have just now been able to take out a loan (didn't qualify when I started school and my parents refused to fill out the FASFA). I have since done significantly better (3.7 last semester). My GPA suffered tremendously, I have a 2.6 overall. Also, many of my prerequisites weren't complete, so I will have a strong GPA in those classes. I attend LSU and they calculated just a prerequisite GPA and last 45 hour GPA.
Are there any other vet schools that don't consider the entire GPA? And also, would a vet school take into consideration my personal situation and not judge my overall GPA so harshly?

Thanks for you help( sorry I was so long winded) !

Members don't see this ad.

My first two years of college, I had to work full time and I took 15-18 class hours each semester (I worked due to my parents lack of financial support). Now that I'm a junior, I have just now been able to take out a loan (didn't qualify when I started school and my parents refused to fill out the FASFA). I have since done significantly better (3.7 last semester). My GPA suffered tremendously, I have a 2.6 overall. Also, many of my prerequisites weren't complete, so I will have a strong GPA in those classes. I attend LSU and they calculated just a prerequisite GPA and last 45 hour GPA.
Are there any other vet schools that don't consider the entire GPA? And also, would a vet school take into consideration my personal situation and not judge my overall GPA so harshly?

Thanks for you help( sorry I was so long winded) !

Minnesota, I believe. Not sure about others, can't remember.

And thats what the "explanation" section on VMCAS is for. I'd try to get as close to a 3.0 as you can overall. Some schools won't even look at an application that has less than a certain GPA overall. The cutoff is usually a 2.75, or a 3.0/3.2 for certain state schools (when applying as out of state)

You can check out the "Sucessful Applicant Stats" thread and see what schools people got into that had lower GPAs. I know that there were some people who definitely had less than 3.0s and still got in.

Members don't see this ad :)
WSU has an interesting system where if you get an amazing GRE, it'll take over for your GPA-- look it up as they do a better job of explaining it than I can.

NCSU requires a 3.4 for OOS, but has alternative eligibility. As long as you can excel in your last two years, you could get in under it. I had the same situaion (worked FT + a PT all 4 years) and I got in with a 3.35 with improvement each year, a ten year gap, then a year of 4.0 science GPA (which raised my overall 0.04.)

NCSU requires a 3.4 for OOS, but has alternative eligibility. As long as you can excel in your last two years, you could get in under it. I had the same situaion (worked FT + a PT all 4 years) and I got in with a 3.35 with improvement each year, a ten year gap, then a year of 4.0 science GPA (which raised my overall 0.04.)

You are IS though, aren't you?

You are IS though, aren't you?

It was hotly debated during my application. I hadn't lived in the state for more than 1 year at the time of app reviews/acceptances, but did by the time of admissions. Clear as mud! I was told to apply as OOS, and went through the OOS weeding process. After IS/OOS weeding (prereqs, hours, GPA, GRE) I was moved to the IS category. Partly because, if I was accepted, by NCSU's rules, IS is by admissions status (not application.) So, initial reviesw=OOS, selection = IS.