Vet School is easy to get in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfiniVet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thats what I have learned from this past year. It really wasn't that difficult to get multiple acceptances even though I don't have stellar stats. Trust me, if I can get in? Anyone can.
I have truly learned to not believe the hype. EVERYone that I talk to in everyday conversation makes a huge deal about me getting in - "Thats amazing!! Its harder to get into than medical school!!" which is obviously not true since the two aren't comparable.
I think people just make a huge fuss over how hard Vet school is to get in to since
a. they didn't get in themselves "well if I didn't get in, NO one can."
b. if they did get in, saying its impossible to get in makes them seem that much more special.
c. people genuinely believe that multiple anecdotes = fact.
d. there is nothing more satisfying than discouraging others from achieving their dreams, since it is overwhelmingly scary to work towards your own dream.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratualions on getting in! I have came to the conclusion that all you can do is apply. The worst that will happen is that you don't get in. It is not the end of the world. And...of course, there is always next year:) Again, Congrats. I hope am fortunate enough to be able to say the same thing come next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally agree. I mean, I filled out my supplemental apps with crayon and still got in. I'm just that awesome.

How do you keep an Aggie busy?
Write 'Please turn over' on both sides of a piece of paper.

:laugh:
Seriously though, applying your situation to everyone else's is not correct. The situation is quite different for applicants with no in-state school, their in-state school is private, or they live on the east and west coasts.

So if you're such hot stuff, then tell us your stats, what you did, what you didn't do, etc... Make this thread constructive.

Agreed- it sounds like you are bored and are just trying to irritate people by making flippant comments... The problem is that everyones situations are different. The ages of applicants span from 20-35, some people always knew they wanted to be a vet and were working towards it for years, some people decide 1 or 2 years before applying. It is never as "black and white" as you make it sound...

I agree with you that the whole "you can't get in" stuff is overplayed. But I think one also has to stay humble and even if you have good stats not assume you're going to get in. It's a fine line of believing in yourself and your dream, but not taking anything for granted. I have great stats but was fully prepared to apply again.

I know plenty of people with what I deem "worthy" stats that I know would make amazing veterinarians, and they got rejected. Really...you can't apply your situation as a standard for all. Each is unique...kinda like the cases you'll see. Even people on this board that I can tell would make great vet's that may have been rejected...I really hope they don't get offended by your complete over-simplification of the situation.

With that said, I believe some of your reasons to be correct, but they certainly don't apply to all.

There does seem to be an odd feast-or-famine phenomenon... Of the people with average stats and generally solid experience, it seems you'll either get multiple acceptances on your first try or you'll apply for three years without so much as an interview. Wonder what it is that makes some (apparently average) people such "obvious" candidates while other (apparently average) people have such a struggle.

i agree with many on this thread that, although it may be difficult to get in, it is not impossible. while many of us on this forum have prepared for years to get into vet school and know exactly the path to take from the beginning, not everybody else has that luxury. with that said, to outsiders it IS a lot of effort to prepare and be accepted to vet school. it takes much hard work, drive, and self determination. you can get a bachelor's in finance and get a $60K/year job in your early 20s; you can't do that if you want to be a vet. in comparison to many other occupations it is very difficult, just maybe not for you. and you probably shouldn't take that for granted.

No offense but it IS difficult to get in. UF for instance gets about 800 applicants and 80 get in. We can all do the math to see that 10% is a small number. Thus by definition it IS difficult to get in to vet school. Its simply a numbers game, there are a lot more applicants around the US than spots available.

I have to agree that vet school isn't as hard to get in to as people make it out to be. That doesn't mean in any way that it is easy but people (or maybe just the ones I've been around) always talk about how impossible it is to get in. I had to work damn hard to get in and was extremely stressed when I applied (to 7 schools) and thought that there was a tremendous chance that I would get rejected. I too got multiple acceptances (not to mention it in a bragging way), but thought I wouldn't get any, even though I have a great GPA and a good deal of experience, because the hype is so discouraging. All I would have to say to future applicants is to try your hardest to get experience in various fields and maintain a competitive GPA, but don't allow the hype and stres to get to you. And to bakaduin, I really don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but we all know that there are plenty of applicants that have no business applying and get cut in the first round (some don't even meet the minimum quilifications/ pre-reqs!)

My brother would agree to all the points made by Infinivet...of course, he didn't apply to vet school...in fact, he applied to over 20 med schools with pretty crappy stats and managed to get into one.

I think Infinivet's point is not to belittle those who didn't get in, but rather to get us to STOP FREAKING OUT (I really shouldn't talk; I've done nothing but freak out over my GPA this whole semester) about getting into vet school and instead do what needs to be done, and then have fun while we're undergrads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well for my two cents I think every school is different especially if you are in-state or out of state but for me, I think it's D*** hard because I have good stats with over 8000 hours with horses, dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, rabbits, pocket pets, goats, llamas, sugar gliders, cows, and pigs and still didn't get in.

... and thanks for making those of us who DIDN'T get in feel like crap :thumbdown:

In the words of my vet, "Vet school is easy to get in to, I just applied four times."

maybe those are some thoughts to keep to yourself :thumbdown:

Honestly, just because some people got in with below average statistics and experience doesn't mean its easy to get in, it means those people were lucky. I'm sure Infinivet wasn't trying to sound harsh in her post, but the fact is that there is hype about it being difficult for a reason; that reason being that many, many people get rejected. Look at the statistics. Most of those people have worked very hard and the majority got rejected. I am very happy that I got in on my first try, but that doesn't all of the sudden make it easy in my mind.

Maybe this thread (along with UF housing) supports the idea that sometimes, mostly people who look good on paper get in. (huge biased generalization for your generalization)

Unprofessional comments. Why don't you just call it, the "I rule, the rest of you suck" thread....

Don't be humble, please. We don't want to put you out.

rough breakdown from my letters:
cornell accepted 80 from 800
davis accepted 130 from 1300
csu accepted 30 out of staters from 1200

don't mathematically see how it was easy. impossible, no. but easy??

I definitely don't think it's easy to get in to vet school. And let's face it even if we all had matching statistics - one person's easy is another person's hard as we are all differenet with different lives.

However, the amount of rumors that swirl around re: the difficulty is crazy. Just today I was talking to a group of kids who are applying next year. I can't remember all the ridiculous questions/statements but a couple 1) "If you don't get As in Ochem don't even apply, that's the first thing they will look at." 2) "Nobody gets in on their first try. For most people third times a charm." Uh okay...This is exactly the kind of nonsense I try to clear up. I also try to remind people that those averages they read are just that - AVERAGES. Remember our statistics folks, there has to be someone on the low end and someone on the high end. My basic response is try you never know (within reason - 2.5 is probably slim). BUT have a realistic back up plan. Which is pretty much the way I belive you should run all your life.

I'm going to refrain from going overboard, but I agree with Infinivet.

I was fortunate enough to get acceptances to 2 schools on my first try and I consider that a huge accomplishment. As several people have posted there is a huge difference between the number of people applying and getting in. Being one of the 80 or so people selected to go to a school should be considered an accomplishment and not some easy task accomplished overnight. I've work extremely hard for 4 years preparing to apply. In retrospect I may have not needed to work as hard, but if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't take the chance of not putting in 110% in preparing. Yes I passed up going to parties on weekends and skipping classes, but I got into my top school.

Congrats to you Infinivet if you considered the road to getting in so easy, but I think your path should be considered the exception and not the rule.

To those just starting down their path to applying, I wouldn't listen to Infinivet. Work as hard and as much as you can. You may be able to get in putting in a 75% effort, but is that a chance you are williing to take? As I always said to my friends outside the vet world, I will never regret not going to tons of parties in college, but I would regret not being able to get what I want to do the rest of my life. Getting in is not impossible, but it sure is not easy because its not an easy profession. If it is truely your dream you will make it possible.

Good luck to everyone in what ever path they take.

As I always said to my friends outside the vet world, I will never regret not going to tons of parties in college, but I would regret not being able to get what I want to do the rest of my life.

Yeah, I pretty much would have regretted not going to a ton a parties. Good thing I did ;)

Not that I didn't work my ass off, but it really shouldn't require you to sacrifice your social life.

to be honest, i don't see the point of this thread. this forum is here for us to support each other and give each other advice. saying that its easy to get into vet school when people have to apply multiple times is just not warranted. i understand that we freak out too much about the whole process but then if infinivet wanted to make that point then they would have started a thread with "i got into vet school, you can too" rather than its easy to get in. i just think this thread was started so that the people who got in can gloat. i don't think this forum is the place for that.

That's one of the reasons I chose not to reapply to A&M this year. Because of the students like that. That's extremely conceited and completely unvalued in this profession.

Vet school is statistically harder. Just look at how few vet schools our country has compared to the number of medical schools. That alone increases competition.

I'm also curious as to why you didn't post your GPA and GRE scores. I mean, the whole purpose of this forum is to help each other.

Over 60% of veterinary applicants are denied each year. You shouldn't be taking your acceptance for granted. You should be extremely grateful.

A true aggie would never have made that post.

just look at the numbers: it ain't easy. Almost certainly, everyone who applied has a hope, a wild dream, that they might make the cut, that their hard work would pay off and they could celebrate & call all their friends & family and tell them the wonderful news. And hardly anyone who applied thought they had no chance, or they wouldn't have gone to all the trouble to take all those prereqs, study hard for the GRE, ask for letters of recc, spend hours & hours filling out that darned VMCAS app, & send their credit card payments off into cyberspace. We all wanted this, we all thought we had some chance. Hopefully you didn't mean this to hurt those who didn't get in.

This is my third application cycle. I have good GRE scores, thousands of hrs of sm animal experience, a smattering of equine & food animal experience, more than 10,000hrs of research experience (my area of interest), a patent, several publications, great letters of recc, a BS in animal science, an MS in genetics, oh and a 3.2gpa. I wish I hadn't had to rush through my undergrad and finish it in 3yrs & 1 quarter because I couldn't afford to stay in school - I bet I'd have a much better gpa. But I can't take that back now. I wish I could afford now to quit my job & go back to school full-time to improve my gpa and demonstrate that I can handle a rigorous courseload with great grades, but now I'm putting my partner through grad school and working a very demanding full-time job. So instead I'm living on coffee and taking one.night.class.at.a.time. I'm on one wait list and hoping with all my might. And for every one of me, there are 10 more like me who tried really really hard and didn't get in either.

So I would have to argue that yeah, it's pretty hard to get in to vet school. Keep on trying...

Yea, I have a 3.2 also. I finished my Biomedical Science degree in 3 years and that was not good for my GPA. When you're the youngest person in your virology class, something should tell you you need to slow down. But I was so motivated I never could do it.

I know a lot of people are against going to the caribbean for vet school, and I'm still trying to understand why people feel that way. But I decided that 2 application cycles to the US schools was a enough for me. So I'm going to Cayman.

I guess all of us who were rejected need to get over the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" and do whatever we need to do in order to become veterinarians. A DVM is a DVM, no matter where it's from.

i think you all are wound up a little too tight.....

i think you all are wound up a little too tight.....

I totally second that.

I had a whole spiel that I was going to say, but there's not much of a point. Hmm,all you need is love. Think before you type. Don't wallow in victory or self-pity. Be nice to animals :)

We need to do something useful or fun with this board.

P.S. Don't let the avatar thread die!

I do want to say that I don't personally hate Infinivet, or whatever, but I was hurt and offended by this topic.

I'm on several alternate lists (so I know I'm luckier (literally "luckier," not better) than some!), and my stats pretty average, I guess, but I feel like my stats are such that if I'd said just the right word, or whatever, during one of my interviews, then I'd have gotten in. I don't know, I'm not really too upset about it (I'll apply until I get in!), but I think it really isn't an easy thing to just get into vet school, and I don't really appreciate it when someone just flipantly posts that anyone can do it! Some people who'd make amazing vets just can't get in for whatever reason, so trust me, just because you can get in, it doesn't mean everyone can (look a the numbers!)! Yes, it may not be impossible, but it is difficult to get in (and often partially due to chance if you do)!!!

Anyway, when I saw the name of the thread, I expected it to be sarcastic. I was so shocked when I saw what was written! After reading the whole thread, I thought, 'hmmm, some of these arguments seem valid [regarding some pre-vets having semi-false info (about a As in orgo, etc)]; Infinivet must be refering to pre-vets when s/he mentions people who have an over-estimation of the difficulty,' BUT when I went back and reread it, when s/he references "EVERYone", I really think s/he means that every single person off the street tells her how hard it is!

AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO CONSTANTLY RUNS INTO PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO GET IN?! (I'm not really yelling, I just really wanted to emphasize my point.) I always get people who are like, 'oh yeah, SUNY X (basically, one of NY's state schools) has a great vet school, right?' or 'oh yeah, there are a few good vet schools around here [here = in NY, in upstate NY, etc], right?', and I'm always having to explain to people how Cornell is the only vet school in NY and there are only 28 in the country.

After one such conversation, a friend of mine (pre-med) and I calculated the number of people who attend US vet schools every year to be like 2,400 or 2,500, depending on what the average class size really is (we used like 85 or 90 I think, with 28 US schools). That number is much smaller than the number who attend US medical schools. I recently looked up the number attending US med schools, and it was 17,004 in 2005, and with 125 US med schools, that makes an average class size of 136! Unfortunately, I can't remember the website I used (to back up my claim), but 17,004 is just a bit bigger than 2,400 or 2,500. ;)

Unfortunately, I don't know the total number of vet or med school applicants every year--if someone knows these I'd love to hear the numbers (as well as where you heard them)! But I think there are not enough med school applicants to make the percent getting into med school lower than vet school.

Oh, and did anyone see the Boston Legal episode where they basically said if you got kicked out of med school for doing cocaine, then you could just turn around and be able to get into vet school and settle for being a vet instead?! Pretty sure that it works the other way (maybe if you were really lucky, you'd be able to get into a med school if you messed up in vet school, but I think basically if you mess up med school (I'm not talking about people who realize they'd rather be vets), there's pretty much no way a vet school would take you. Ugg, I feel like if TV shows are spreading such crap, then people probably don't have that much info on how difficult getting into vet school can be!

Thats what I have learned from this past year. It really wasn't that difficult to get multiple acceptances even though I don't have stellar stats. Trust me, if I can get in? Anyone can.
I have truly learned to not believe the hype. EVERYone that I talk to in everyday conversation makes a huge deal about me getting in - "Thats amazing!! Its harder to get into than medical school!!" which is obviously not true since the two aren't comparable.
I think people just make a huge fuss over how hard Vet school is to get in to since
b. if they did get in, saying its impossible to get in makes them seem that much more special.
d. there is nothing more satisfying than discouraging others from achieving their dreams, since it is overwhelmingly scary to work towards your own dream.

You're an ass.

Let's see how easy it is for you to stay in vet school.

Did you ever think that part of the reason you got in is because you thought it would be difficult? Therefore you tried a little harder and did just a teeny bit better than you would have it you thought it would be easy.

You're an ass.

Let's see how easy it is for you to stay in vet school.
oh please. she'll be fine. she knows how to work hard and that may be why she found it proportionately easy. sorry if i put words in your mouth, infinivet.

Don't you mean "easy to get inTO"? :rolleyes:

Alright guys, let's chill out. This thread was meant as encouragement to people applying, not as a medium for bragging.

Hey guys,

Just a friendly reminder from your mod to keep away from the personal attacks and insults. If you need a refresher, please see SDN's Terms of Service.

Deanna
SDN Vet Forums Mod

Alright guys, let's chill out. This thread was meant as encouragement to people applying, not as a medium for bragging.

Are you sure about that? It struck me as an odd hit-&-run troll, actually, to the point that I was wondering if the original poster's account had been hijacked. I'm still not sure, actually. I thought the "Gay in Vet School" post by the same user at around the same time was similarly odd for a poster whose previous posts indicated she was straight/getting married.

I have too much time on my hands, obviously, but still it's odd.

Are you sure about that? It struck me as an odd hit-&-run troll, actually, to the point that I was wondering if the original poster's account had been hijacked. I'm still not sure, actually.

Yes, I'm sure. Read the original post again. It's encouraging to people to apply.

In my class, we have the whole range from people who got in after one application to people who applied multiple times (i.e. 7) to get in. I'd say it's just as common if not moreso to find people who applied multiple times than got in on their first try.

I guess my only point is, please be sensitive to the fact that it takes some people multiple tries. Once you're here, it doesn't matter. We all made it, we all support each other and push each other to do our best.

there is nothing more satisfying than discouraging others from achieving their dreams

If I'd read this thread after getting rejected this application cycle, I'd be thinking "If it's so easy to get in and I couldn't do it, obviously I'm not cut out for vet school."

Some of the most brilliant people in my class applied several times.

My advice? Applying can be a crap shoot. I'm pretty sure that you could apply two years in a row with exactly the same material and not get in one year, but get multiple acceptances the next. There's no sure way to get in, and nothing that will make getting in impossible.

I know a lot of people are against going to the caribbean for vet school, and I'm still trying to understand why people feel that way. But I decided that 2 application cycles to the US schools was a enough for me. So I'm going to Cayman.

Well, its the caribbean, thats always the bright side! I dont get why there are so few vet schools in the US either. So many of our vets now are trained in foreign countries - why dont more schools in the US just open up vet schools? Its been boggling my mind since I started the application process and I have this fantasy about starting a vet school now.

As for my opinion on this topic, vet school is hard to get into! Look at how many people on these boards alone had great applications and didnt even get in. Most of these people probably would have gotten into med school, law school, etc, with the same stats. So compared to getting into other professional programs that are generally considered "difficult to get into," yes, getting into vet school is REALLY HARD. Whether or not it was easy for you personally.

and PS infinivet...poor diplomacy if encouraging people is what you meant to do! Thats worse than George W with verbal slip ups!

Yes this part IS very encouraging.

BUT this part is rude.

I posted this thread for all the new applicants/re-applicants this cycle:

Don't believe the hype about vet school being 'impossibly hard to get into' - you can, and will get in, and be a fantastic vet, if you have the guts to do it! I fully expect each and every person on this forum to acheive their dreams of vet school. Don't listen to ANYONE who tries to discourage you, and don't discourage yourself.
There are 1,000's of Veterinarians practicing today. If they could do it, you can do it too. Its there for the taking, you just have to have the courage and determination within yourself to reach up and grab it. And don't listen to anyone who would tell you otherwise.
I know I couldn't have done it without the constant support system I had, including this forum, and I'm here to give my experience strength and hope to all applicants, and I'm here to say: Don't believe the hype! Go get em!

I genuinely believe that if you are fully dedicated to this profession, and would do whatever is required to get it, I believe you will get in. I'm not referring to folks who are torn between vet school and something totally different, and not the folks who had-a-puppy-calendar-once-and-it-was-so-cute-it-made-me-wanna-be-a-vet. I mean those who really want it - you can do it. And don't believe the hype! The numbers, the statistics, nothing! I fully expect to see you as my colleague soon :)

Remember when you were about to start your Physics class or Organic Chemistry class and everyone you talked to had the attitude of "Ooohh...you're really taking that class? *gulp* That class is so impossibly hard, I feel sorry for you." Well, they WERE hard. They were. But impossible? No!! Not for a minute. Did you pass, even after a few times? Did you get a B? Did you get an A?! And never felt so proud of your hard work in your life no matter your grade?
Well the application process in itself I would consider a class...and would probably = 4 credit hours! But you can do it, and I fully expect you to apply. If you can convey your deadly-serious attitude of becoming a Vet, I believe you can get in. And if you have to apply, more than once? More than twice? Know that each time you are beefing up your app, feel proud of al of your hard work and feel encouraged to know that you are probably going to blow the interviewer's mind with all the cool things you've done this year, and probably outshine all the whippersnappers ;)

I had no intentions of applying this past cycle since I hadnt even graduated college, had been in college for seven years, 5 of which had been in community college. I was encouraged and supported to apply, and I was serious about Vet school. If you have sought out SDN in your research of applying to Vet school, you are ahead of the curve. And you can do it, don't believe the hype!

Another thread I posted for new/re-applying applicants, where you can see mine and many other people's stats, GPA/GRE scores, and tips and pointers: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=359074

Whenever people tell me how 'amazed' they are that I got in, I don't listen, because getting in is reward enough, I don't need patting on the back, I don't need to gloat. I just know that I got in, in part, because I never once cared about how "hard" it was to get in, I didn't care, because I never listened to all the nay-sayers.

I knew it was community college.

A Texas A&M Biomedical Science major wouldn't dare say vet school is easy to get into. There would be bloodshed.

With that said, Infinivet has proven a point that I have tried to make in the past. People who go to community colleges and get good grades simply have a better chance of getting accepted than those of us who went to a major university for all their classes. That's the problem I have with the quantitative nature of veterinary schools. An A in Physics at Cornell is not the same as an A in Physics at a community college. But a computer does not know this.

If you are a pre-vet student determined to get accepted into a US veterinary school, do NOT make the "mistake" that I did. Avoid biology, chemistry, biomedical science, engineering, and other extremely difficult degree plans.

Major in something easier, take the prereqs along the way, and I promise you'll have a better chance of getting accepted. A lot of the biomedical science students are going to the caribbean because we were naive and thought that we were doing the right thing by taking lots of challenging courses in undergrad.

To prove that quality doesn't matter as much, one of my recommendation letters was from the assistant dean (she's now the dean of Tufts). And they couldn't have cared less.

I knew it was community college.

A Texas A&M Biomedical Science major wouldn't dare say vet school is easy to get into. There would be bloodshed.

With that said, Infinivet has proven a point that I have tried to make in the past. People who go to community colleges and get good grades simply have a better chance of getting accepted than those of us who went to a major university for all their classes. That's the problem I have with the quantitative nature of veterinary schools. An A in Physics at Cornell is not the same as an A in Physics at a community college. But a computer does not know this.

If you are a pre-vet student determined to get accepted into a US veterinary school, do NOT make the "mistake" that I did. Avoid biology, chemistry, biomedical science, engineering, and other extremely difficult degree plans.

Major in something easier, take the prereqs along the way, and I promise you'll have a better chance of getting accepted. A lot of the biomedical science students are going to the caribbean because we were naive and thought that we were doing the right thing by taking lots of challenging courses in undergrad.

To prove that quality doesn't matter as much, one of my recommendation letters was from the assistant dean (she's now the dean of Tufts). And they couldn't have cared less.

This is where I think a standardized test should come in to validate your GPA. Since we take basically the same courses as pre-med, why don't schools want to use the MCAT? I never experienced the VCAT, so I don't know if it was useful or not.

I'm glad OK-State and Georgia take the Biology GRE, but I've heard they hardly look at it. It validated me as a biology major, but everyone is not a biology major. And scores from different GREs like biology vs. chemistry are not comparable.

We need a standardized test, and I'm just glad I don't have to take it!

And I apologize for the Aggie joke now, Infinivet. :laugh:

I tend to agree...some wvu students that are juniors who scheduled their harder classes (prereqa) after admissions got in while those of us who did them early didn't (or got waitlisted)...even though i took those classes 2 years ago and got A's. An easy schedule doesn't show your ability to handle vet school. Taking a challenging course load, prereqa and other advanced science/math and still getting a high gpa (while not a 4.0) is somehow punished. To me, someone who avoids a challenge in order to get a perfect 4.0 is a red flag.

i'm trying to stifle laughter over here.

i was a bio major cause i love this stuff, dude! not because i thought i should in order to get into vet school! i nearly aced anatomy and histology courses because i literally enjoyed sitting down and learning that stuff (disclaimer: while i did well in most bios, my overall was a 3.5; hardly stellar). call me a dork, but there's no chance in hell i'd tell any upandcomings to major in something they didnt like as much just to improve their gpa.

aw screw it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

trying...so hard...to resist the obvious "your mom" joke into this thread...please maturity catch up with my age