vet school options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

earlybunny84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I was hoping some of you can help me. I will graduate this December with a GPA of 3.0-3.1 range. I have pretty good animal experience, but I need more Veterinary experience. I will take the GRE at the end of this month.

I really do not want to apply to vet schools in the states becuase I know my GPA is not high enough and feel that I will just wate my money and be utterly disappointed. Honestly, I do not want to go to grad. school. I do not know what to do...

1. Do I go ahead and apply. Start getting more veterinary experience and apply to the Drexel VMS program and hope I get in? (by the way are there any other programs of it's kind? and how hard is it to get in?)

2. Or take off to the Caribbean (Ross or St. George) and become a vet in the next four years instead of how long it take to get into vet school in the us?

I need to think about the pros and cons of both situations. If I am missing another option please let me know.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

First, how soon do you hope to start? I guess I might be inclined to look for a vet tech/assistant job to get some vet experience, kick butt on the GRE and apply to some state schools next year. Just because your GPA is lower, does not mean you won't get in somehere, it just means that you have to make the rest of your app. shine.

G'luck :luck:

I agree w/wivet. Go with option #1. You definitely won't get in if you don't apply. Some schools want to see you apply more than once to show you're serious. If your GRE score is really good, you level the playing field a lot.
My GPA is ~ 3.35 ish and my GRE stinks. I got an interview (although I didn't get in) this past year in my state school. I didn't think I would have hope at all- so you never know.

That's a HUGE $$ debt to take on by going overseas when you don't even know what your shots are here in the US if you didn't try.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend taking a good look at the (US) schools you want to apply to, what they want specifically, and if you can offer them those qualities this year. Aside from your GPA (which can still be considered competetive if you compensate with a higher GRE) you sound like you aren't lacking too much in other departments, such as experience. You won't know unless you try. Even if you don't get in this year, applying is a good investment. There is no advice like the adcom's advice after you've been rejected, because they are very honest about exactly what you need to do to improve. Personally, I would write a strong personal statement and go for it! In the meantime, get some interesting experience under my belt, just in case!

Do you have an in-state vet school or a contract school for your state? If so, that will probably be your best chance for admission.

Your best option would be to apply to in-state school(s) as well as Ross and St. George. If your instater doesn't accept you, they will tell you why (very good constructive criticism). Study hard for your GRE to offset your low GPA. If all of the above fails, you might think about doing a 1 or 2 year accelerated program to enhance your application to vet school. I believe Drexel in PA has one...might want to look into it. GL :corny:

There are always

Australia
-Murdoch
-Melbourne
-Sydney

UK
-Glasgow
-Edinburgh
-The Royal Veterinary College of London

New Zealand
-Massey

Canada
-Saskatchewan
-Guelph
-PEI
-Montreal

For other alternatives...and yes I am trying to get the other schools up and running, check out Vetstudents.net

there's a thread going on about the carribean and a St. George admissions counselors responded with a post that's really helpful especially if you have some misgivings about the carribean option. Check that out.