Vet School Rants

Started by DVMDream
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Yes professors, we like hearing about interesting cases in the VTH right now. But we also like our between class 10 minute break. So if you choose to spend 10-15 minutes at the beginning talking about a case that's only vaguely related, keep in mind you don't get an extra 10-15 minutes at the end to finish up.
 
Have just been informed that the animal welfare section of our animal behavior midterm looks "bloody awful".

This class is getting one hell of an evaluation from me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To the professor who teaches G.I. pathology:

I understand that there are 62724382372398234 things that can cause G.I pathology in the small intestines, however 50 minutes to discuss the pathology of the entire intestinal tract is NOT enough time to go over each individual disease/bacteria/parasite/insult that can create pathology please attempt to condense your lectures. Also, don't look at the clock that reads 10:50 (the time class ends) and say, "ok, I am going to spend the last few minutes discussing... blah... blah.... blah", your time is up, there are no "last few minutes", some of us have other classes to get to and some of us want to catch the bus before we are stuck there for another hour.
 
More surgery group drama with the same member that is always the problem. I'm doing my patient check this morning before classes and Problem Member texts me asking if I need help getting the blood. I say yes, I'm going to do it at lunch time and if she could restrain for me, that'd be great. She replies with "Okie dokie!" So lunch time rolls around and my other group member (who I like) comes up and asks if I need help getting the blood. I say that Problem Member said she'd help. Other Member: "Nope, she bailed before equine. She's gone."

WTF? No text, no heads-up, nothing. She just left. If I manage not to throw this chick in the manure heap before the end of the semester, I expect a sainthood or a medal or something.
 
To the professor who teaches G.I. pathology:

I understand that there are 62724382372398234 things that can cause G.I pathology in the small intestines, however 50 minutes to discuss the pathology of the entire intestinal tract is NOT enough time to go over each individual disease/bacteria/parasite/insult that can create pathology please attempt to condense your lectures. Also, don't look at the clock that reads 10:50 (the time class ends) and say, "ok, I am going to spend the last few minutes discussing... blah... blah.... blah", your time is up, there are no "last few minutes", some of us have other classes to get to and some of us want to catch the bus before we are stuck there for another hour.


Attempting to study this professor's notes. They are very unorganized; what should normally only take about an hour is going to take me twice as long because I am going to have to jump around through the notes and power point slides. Blargh.



ETA: Notes also do this type of deal:

"Note: Also a cause of villous atrophy (see below)." I go to section below about villous atrophy... "Canine parvovirus- see under haemorrhagic enteritis above."

😡
 
Last edited:
I know the feeling completely. Vet school, all my summer externships, residency fellowship....I'm tired of it. I want my Big Girl Job, and I want it yesterday.

OMG yes, that is exactly how I feel (minus the post-dvm training). A big part of me really wants to pursue academic medicine by doing an internship, residency, then a PhD, and staying in academia forever. But then I think about how that fits in with my life, and I just can't justify it. I'm ready to be done, and I want to settle into the meat of my career. So I made the executive decision to not apply for internships. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders after I made that decision... but at the same time I'm so scared about the job search. And it feels kind of awkward when clinicians offer to write LORs for internships to tell them that I want a "real job" instead (rest assured, I don't quite phrase it that way). I know I shouldn't feel this way, but it almost feels like I'm being a traitor. It's kind of sucky to be in a teaching hospital where everyone's so pro-internship, when you're not applying to any.
 
Rant:

You have asked me to read through a scientific journal article and evaluate and analyse it.... please do not come up to me and ask if I have any questions, then come back 5 minutes later and ask if I am ready to discuss it... NO, I am NOT.... Go the FECK away!! Also, this is pointless, I have done this numerous times before... I don't need to be taught and hand-held on how to do it again... 😡😡
 
NEVER in my life have I been so disrespected by a professor. Do not try to placate me by insults. I do not pay exorbitant amounts of money to be belittled. 😡😡😡
 
NEVER in my life have I been so disrespected by a professor. Do not try to placate me by insults. I do not pay exorbitant amounts of money to be belittled. 😡😡😡
does our diagnostic imaging prof teach at your school too?! very tired of that crap too

i am tired of communal exams. its silly and not fun to stuff 3 semesters of students taking 3 different exams into a large lecture hall. dumb.
 
OMG my classmates won't shut the FECK up about the exam. I don't know why everyone feels the need to dissect certain questions on a test that we just wrote. I don't want to know what you put, or hear you argue with someone else what you thought the correct answer was. 😡😡😡 And I have to sit here since the next class is starting and I want to punch someone.

Seriously. Look it up in your notes if you're wanting to know. I don't want to listen to your fecking bickering.
 
OMG my classmates won't shut the FECK up about the exam. I don't know why everyone feels the need to dissect certain questions on a test that we just wrote. I don't want to know what you put, or hear you argue with someone else what you thought the correct answer was. 😡😡😡 And I have to sit here since the next class is starting and I want to punch someone.

Seriously. Look it up in your notes if you're wanting to know. I don't want to listen to your fecking bickering.

This annoys me too. I've just started avoiding people after exams cause it stresses me out too much.
 
OMG my classmates won't shut the FECK up about the exam. I don't know why everyone feels the need to dissect certain questions on a test that we just wrote. I don't want to know what you put, or hear you argue with someone else what you thought the correct answer was. 😡😡😡 And I have to sit here since the next class is starting and I want to punch someone.

Seriously. Look it up in your notes if you're wanting to know. I don't want to listen to your fecking bickering.

Yeah, arguing about what the answer should have been is annoying... don't debate the answer... look it up if you are wanting to know.

But, I know some people like discussing exams after and some don't... so, I don't (erm... try not to) get mad at those that like to discuss the exam after as I know that is how some people aid their learning/understanding. Personally, I try to walk away as fast as I can, unless there is a friend around that I don't mind talking with about it. Otherwise, I run away.


My rant: Professors, please, please, please if you are going to make up a word/phrase/acronym for something... please consult each other and come up with the same thing... having 3 or 4 different phrases that all mean the same thing from different professors is annoying and frustrating.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I normally try to just leave....unfortunately I was stuck sitting in the middle of it as the next class was just starting. My neighbours were really into it.

One person in my carpool does not want to hear about any of the subject matter the morning of the test, I hate hearing about it afterwards, so exams are a taboo conversation topic in the car usually which is really nice. hehehe.
 
More surgery rants:

Problem child group member: on Thursday you said you'd help me remove the sutures and bandages on Monday after you get back from the long weekend. Now you say you might skip school on Tuesday and stay home an extra day, meaning you won't be here to help. Not cool. Bite me.

Surgery resident: I know you have important surgery things to do, but if you can't make rounds, you need to send someone to come tell us and either give us an ETA or reschedule or something. But leaving us standing around for an hour with no info is unacceptable. This is one of your duties too.
 
This anatomy test is so overwhelming. It is definitely more than twice the amount of information on either of our previous tests, and we've had a lot less lab time. I'm not sure how this is going to work out...
 
I am having one of those nights where I am thinking, "why did I decide to do this?" Why did I decide to go to vet school? It is probably coming from being so far behind in just about everything right now that I can't even think straight for long enough to organize through what I need to get done. And I am panicking for exams, so that isn't helping either... I am just feeling super overwhelmed and panicked and not sure how this semester is going to turn out.. just a little more than 4 weeks and this semester will be over; I just hope to not burn out before then. 🙁
 
So I had a 2 hour break today and for about an hour and a half I went off and studied, then for the last 30 minutes I joined up with some friends to chat right before our next lecture. One of them asked what I had been doing and we got into a discussion about something school related (she was trying to help me understand something) and were taking about it, just her and I. The rest of my friends were chatting about other things, then one of them turns and says to myself and the other girl, "Ok, you two are done now." I tell her, "No, we are discussing something and I am not even talking to you and you can continue on with your separate conversation and ignore us." And she goes, "Well, I don't like to hear about vet stuff." I tell her, "then you are in the wrong place, this is a vet school. I am not talking to you, I am not hurting you and you were having your own conversation, so you can just ignore us and continue on." I don't mind this girl (usually) and we get along well most of the time, but she has this strong mentality of, "I want what I want and that is what I am going to get." She can not bend or compromise for anyone else and it is a pain in the ass to deal with. She always has this attitude of I should get what I want and that is the end of it and honestly it is driving me insane. I have even started to hang around her less because I can not stand the mentality. :banghead:
 
I am having one of those nights where I am thinking, "why did I decide to do this?" Why did I decide to go to vet school? It is probably coming from being so far behind in just about everything right now that I can't even think straight for long enough to organize through what I need to get done. And I am panicking for exams, so that isn't helping either... I am just feeling super overwhelmed and panicked and not sure how this semester is going to turn out.. just a little more than 4 weeks and this semester will be over; I just hope to not burn out before then. 🙁
So I had a 2 hour break today and for about an hour and a half I went off and studied, then for the last 30 minutes I joined up with some friends to chat right before our next lecture. One of them asked what I had been doing and we got into a discussion about something school related (she was trying to help me understand something) and were taking about it, just her and I. The rest of my friends were chatting about other things, then one of them turns and says to myself and the other girl, "Ok, you two are done now." I tell her, "No, we are discussing something and I am not even talking to you and you can continue on with your separate conversation and ignore us." And she goes, "Well, I don't like to hear about vet stuff." I tell her, "then you are in the wrong place, this is a vet school. I am not talking to you, I am not hurting you and you were having your own conversation, so you can just ignore us and continue on." I don't mind this girl (usually) and we get along well most of the time, but she has this strong mentality of, "I want what I want and that is what I am going to get." She can not bend or compromise for anyone else and it is a pain in the ass to deal with. She always has this attitude of I should get what I want and that is the end of it and honestly it is driving me insane. I have even started to hang around her less because I can not stand the mentality. :banghead:
DVMDream I can really sympathize with your situation! I'm feeling the exact same way about school right now. It sucks soo much when you have a life set back while in vet school. It is really hard to regroup and refocus and get back into the swing of things. All I can say is be patient with yourself, but chip away at the mountain of work a little at a time, until you pick up some momentum. You can do this! You've done it before-this isn't your 1st semester, so you know you can pull this off! (these are all the things I've been saying to myself lately)
I also have a super self-centered, opinion aggressive acquaintance who is on my last nerve right about now. Super irritating personality type, especially if you ever make a decision she doesn't agree with.
We are living weirdly similar lives about now....
Only a month to go.
 
DVMDream I can really sympathize with your situation! I'm feeling the exact same way about school right now. It sucks soo much when you have a life set back while in vet school. It is really hard to regroup and refocus and get back into the swing of things. All I can say is be patient with yourself, but chip away at the mountain of work a little at a time, until you pick up some momentum. You can do this! You've done it before-this isn't your 1st semester, so you know you can pull this off! (these are all the things I've been saying to myself lately)
I also have a super self-centered, opinion aggressive acquaintance who is on my last nerve right about now. Super irritating personality type, especially if you ever make a decision she doesn't agree with.
We are living weirdly similar lives about now....
Only a month to go.

Thanks, I am just so tired and exhausted and honestly nothing about this semester has been that hard, I just fell way behind and we have so much more information this semester compared to this time last year. I am completely overwhelmed. I am trying to work through it a little bit at a time; I am just not sure I will make it through everything come exam time, so that has me worried, but I will manage somehow.

And yes, the "friend". I just don't understand where people think they have the right to tell someone else what they are or are not allowed to talk about. I mean, really? Yes, if I were talking to you, then fine, you have the right to say you don't really want to talk about that right now, but when I am talking to someone else, you have no right to tell me what I am or am not allowed to have a conversation about.

Anyway, only a month left and then I get to be home with my kitty for a couple of weeks. 😀

Good luck to you as well, the overwhelmed feeling is no fun.
 
Minor rant, but it would cool down to 32 degrees F outside the day of our first bovine rectal palpation lab. At least one arm will stay warm….
 
Huge micro test tomorrow. All of the enteric pathogens do the same thing, so we have to know the little details to figure out the causative pathogens.

DVMD- how lame is that?! I could understand if she asked you to pipe down about school if you were out at the bar and having a good time, but when you are in school? Glad you pretty much told her to eff off. :sour:
 
we have a final exam for an elective class tomorrow at lunch. the class has been meeting for 2 hours a week since midseptember. at the first class, the professor said the exam was going to be written (which is a surprise because the school just switched to a mandatory computer based exam testing system - that could be a whole crazy rant itself). a week ago at our last class she vaguely mention something that led me to believe that the exam was indeed computer based. why the heck did she not email an exam reminder stating location (because that changed too) and what we needed to come with for tomorrow? bah

[its not that its a big deal to have my computer with me, its just that it involves a different level of planning because of how exam craziness is carried out here]
 
we have a final exam for an elective class tomorrow at lunch. the class has been meeting for 2 hours a week since midseptember. at the first class, the professor said the exam was going to be written (which is a surprise because the school just switched to a mandatory computer based exam testing system - that could be a whole crazy rant itself). a week ago at our last class she vaguely mention something that led me to believe that the exam was indeed computer based. why the heck did she not email an exam reminder stating location (because that changed too) and what we needed to come with for tomorrow? bah

[its not that its a big deal to have my computer with me, its just that it involves a different level of planning because of how exam craziness is carried out here]
do you use ExamSoft at SGU? We use it. At first, we were skeptical. Now we prefer exams to be on the computer. We usually get our scores back as soon as we submit.
 
do you use ExamSoft at SGU? We use it. At first, we were skeptical. Now we prefer exams to be on the computer. We usually get our scores back as soon as we submit.
i don't mind the computer based exam system, but the number of glitches and problems we're having per test is really unacceptable. i think it mostly has to do with the fact that our 3rd world IT isn't ready to handly thousands of students using it so heavily all at once.

we actually used to immediately grade exams after taking them (allowed us to review what we missed and get the grade instantly), but now that we're using the computer, those options have been taken away. its a little bit frustrating for cumulative classes, because theres no good way to know where you need to improve.

are you guys using your personal computers or do you have a designated lab?
 
i don't mind the computer based exam system, but the number of glitches and problems we're having per test is really unacceptable. i think it mostly has to do with the fact that our 3rd world IT isn't ready to handly thousands of students using it so heavily all at once.

we actually used to immediately grade exams after taking them (allowed us to review what we missed and get the grade instantly), but now that we're using the computer, those options have been taken away. its a little bit frustrating for cumulative classes, because theres no good way to know where you need to improve.

are you guys using your personal computers or do you have a designated lab?
We can use our own computer and take the test in the lecture hall. Examsoft locks down your computer so you cannot open anything else. We had a few problems in the beginning (mostly people with Macs had problems). If your computer is not working properly, IT is at every exam to give you a loaner computer or help you with any problems. Our IT department is awesome and they are pretty good at figuring out the glitches before the test.

You were allowed to grade your own tests? That's cool and would never fly at my school. Haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We can use our own computer and take the test in the lecture hall. Examsoft locks down your computer so you cannot open anything else. We had a few problems in the beginning (mostly people with Macs had problems). If your computer is not working properly, IT is at every exam to give you a loaner computer or help you with any problems. Our IT department is awesome and they are pretty good at figuring out the glitches before the test.

You were allowed to grade your own tests? That's cool and would never fly at my school. Haha
our problems range from inability to connect to the internet to failure of the program/computer. they were supposed to have IT at every test with loaners but that quickly fizzled out. now it becomes a war between IT and examsoft when a student has problems - the student gets shuffled between the two locations while everyone is taking the exam and it just turns into a stressful mess. we had 13 of 70 computers fail at our exam on friday🙄 i think the term 2 and 3 students who were guinea pig users of examsoft over the last year tend not to have any problems, but they did initially as are we
 
I feel like heap of steaming turds. I don't think I can spend one more second studying. My brain is oozing out of my ears.
 
We have an assignment due the day before our first final exam. That is both evil and against school policy. Not cool. :punch:
 
point it out? if you were my class, we'd make a huge stink to the administration (not just the professor) until it got changed because we're just that awesome 🙄

I would like to, I'm just not sure how to go about doing so without seeming like a whiny b. The rest of our class seems to be reluctantly accepting it.
 
I would like to, I'm just not sure how to go about doing so without seeming like a whiny b. The rest of our class seems to be reluctantly accepting it.
yeah its kind of an unfortunate situation :-/ my class has no qualms at all about how whiny and awful we sound. we've been pulling that card all term. and granted, we are indeed getting majorly screwed in several classes because of the changes our school is going through (stuff that really jeopardizes our ability to perform well in clinics on board exams for instance), but still. we have multiple professors who just absolutely hate us.
 
We have an assignment due the day before our first final exam. That is both evil and against school policy. Not cool. :punch:

What is our school policy on this? I feel like this happened to our class last year, we tried to change it and we got shut down. School policies seem to be flexible (except the attendance policy). We had a prof change the grading scheme in the syllabus after our 2 midterms without our knowledge. Admin didn't care.
 
What is our school policy on this? I feel like this happened to our class last year, we tried to change it and we got shut down. School policies seem to be flexible (except the attendance policy). We had a prof change the grading scheme in the syllabus after our 2 midterms without our knowledge. Admin didn't care.
really?! our admin has backed us up all the way. our DI prof was trying to pull a bunch of crap on our final and the dept head stepped in and was like woah no. you cant do that. he's so mad at us he wont even look at us/come to our classes anymore (we've just had VPs for awhile though, but he used to come nearly every day)
 
What is our school policy on this? I feel like this happened to our class last year, we tried to change it and we got shut down. School policies seem to be flexible (except the attendance policy). We had a prof change the grading scheme in the syllabus after our 2 midterms without our knowledge. Admin didn't care.

They're not supposed to assign anything after a certain date (November 14th or 15th this year, I believe) because it's too close to finals. That's why some of our first year professors have things due on that date but "will allow late submissions with no penalty."
 
They're not supposed to assign anything after a certain date (November 14th or 15th this year, I believe) because it's too close to finals. That's why some of our first year professors have things due on that date but "will allow late submissions with no penalty."

6 quizzes + 1 assignment due in the 2 weeks before finals for 2nd years. Maybe policies only apply to odd numbered years lol
 
Physiology lecture yesterday introduced a bunch of new detail about types of heart failure...that are going to be on the exam I have in an hour. Let's see how this works...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, there is this girl that sits behind me in the lecture theatre and can not keep her feet to herself... she isn't even directly behind me, she is behind me and one seat over, yet she has her foot either resting right on the back of my chair or basically between me and the person next to me. Then, she can not sit still, so it is constant kicks, and movement and her putting her foot on the chair, then taking it off, then back on. It is annoying enough, but since I have this broken rib every bump sends a shockwave of pain through my chest... I have physically removed her foot from my chair numerous times... shoved it off my chair, etc.

Is it acceptable to break someone's foot in this case?
 
So, there is this girl that sits behind me in the lecture theatre and can not keep her feet to herself... she isn't even directly behind me, she is behind me and one seat over, yet she has her foot either resting right on the back of my chair or basically between me and the person next to me. Then, she can not sit still, so it is constant kicks, and movement and her putting her foot on the chair, then taking it off, then back on. It is annoying enough, but since I have this broken rib every bump sends a shockwave of pain through my chest... I have physically removed her foot from my chair numerous times... shoved it off my chair, etc.

Is it acceptable to break someone's foot in this case?

Can you leave a few sharp objects on the arm rest so she experiences pain next time?
 
Things I would rather do then study for my musculoskeletal diseases final (in no particular order):
Fight a rabid bear.
Get a root canal with no pain relief.
Swim across the Pacific Ocean (garbage patch included).
Walk to the moon.
Conduct an orchestra of 100 out-of-tune bagpipes with amplifiers.

You know that annoying moment when you realize that you may have GROSSLY underestimated the amount of material for an exam, and oh, you totally missed one lecture entirely? Having one of those moments. Exam in 14 hours. And I've had way too much caffeine today and my stomach is rebelling with some pretty outstanding cramps.
 
Things I would rather do then study for my musculoskeletal diseases final (in no particular order):
Fight a rabid bear.
Get a root canal with no pain relief.
Swim across the Pacific Ocean (garbage patch included).
Walk to the moon.
Conduct an orchestra of 100 out-of-tune bagpipes with amplifiers.

You know that annoying moment when you realize that you may have GROSSLY underestimated the amount of material for an exam, and oh, you totally missed one lecture entirely? Having one of those moments. Exam in 14 hours. And I've had way too much caffeine today and my stomach is rebelling with some pretty outstanding cramps.
Sadly I have been there way too many times.....I feel your pain. Good luck!