Vet School Rants

Started by DVMDream
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First day of classes. Endocrine course coordinator is going over how course is going to be taught, etc... She tells us not only will she not provide us her powerpoints, but she will also NOT allow us to lecture capture her lectures.

Seriously?!?!

Ugh...
 
First day of classes. Endocrine course coordinator is going over how course is going to be taught, etc... She tells us not only will she not provide us her powerpoints, but she will also NOT allow us to lecture capture her lectures.

Seriously?!?!

Ugh...

That seriously sucks. I would do horribly with that professor. I'm more of a visual learner so the powerpoints help keep me focused (I do still space out a good bit) and not have to write down as much. If I have no study guide to follow, I'm too focused on typing down important things that I miss what the professor is saying.
 
That seriously sucks. I would do horribly with that professor. I'm more of a visual learner so the powerpoints help keep me focused (I do still space out a good bit) and not have to write down as much. If I have no study guide to follow, I'm too focused on typing down important things that I miss what the professor is saying.


Yeah, well she just agreed to lecture capture, so problem solved I guess. I still don't like her, on principle alone. 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
truth.
 

Attachments

  • 1459137_10151779660461314_181132336_n.jpg
    1459137_10151779660461314_181132336_n.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 38
Our prossor FORGOT to come to lecture today. Now he's cramming an extra lecture into our schedule to make up for it. 😡
 
Our prossor FORGOT to come to lecture today. Now he's cramming an extra lecture into our schedule to make up for it. 😡

I found this amusing seeing as there's no set schedule for the class (at least that we know of). Since he just stops when class ends and picks up right where we left off without regard to sections in the book you wouldn't think 50 minutes would make that much of a deal during the course of the semester. I doubt he would do that if we had a snow day.
 
I found this amusing seeing as there's no set schedule for the class (at least that we know of). Since he just stops when class ends and picks up right where we left off without regard to sections in the book you wouldn't think 50 minutes would make that much of a deal during the course of the semester. I doubt he would do that if we had a snow day.

That's what I don't understand, his lectures are nearly verbatim from his notes. I doubt anyone would complain if we skipped this one lecture or just sped things up a bit until we're back on track.

Whatever, there's no way I'm going to that makeup lecture anyway. Not inclined to waste another hour of my time for someone else's mistake. I'll just study the material on my own.
 
it is refreshing to hear that other schools have professors that have a difficult time with scheduling. scheduling is pretty much a nightmare here after first year because none of the professors are organized or want the responsibility
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dear professors - get your acts together and get the lectures posted well in advance of class time. this is getting ridiculous. it is not acceptable to expect us to be prepared for class with 3rd world quality internet and lack of access to printing resources on short notice. 😡
 
That is one of my biggest pet peeves. I respected your time by being punctual at the start of class, you should respect mine by finishing on time. Just because I'm a student doesn't mean I have nothing better to do than listening to you ramble.
 
That is one of my biggest pet peeves. I respected your time by being punctual at the start of class, you should respect mine by finishing on time. Just because I'm a student doesn't mean I have nothing better to do than listening to you ramble.

Ah! And earlier this week: "Yes I went a bit over time but we started late because I had computer trouble".

Not my problem, dude. Get there early, get your PowerPoint going.
 
at the end of our class time yesterday, our visiting professor said "you guys don't mind if i take your break time, right?" and then just plowed ahead despite protests and head shakes.

Um, wow. I get that sometimes, profs just don't know when they're over (we've had a couple who went over, realized it, apologized profusely and insisted we tell them next time when they're out of time). But to know you're over, assume people don't mind, and just go for it.... Wow. Not okay.
 
Not really a rant...but someone just asked me when we'll be done learning about "all this science-y stuff"...uh, you know you're in vet school right? 😵
 
That seems unnecessarily harsh.

There's a girl who sits in front of me who plays various online games 100% of the time lecture is going. But yet, when it comes time for group work, or testing, or whatever - she's got the answers and is as prepared and knowledgeable as anyone I know. Sitting there diligently taking notes (like I do, 75% of the time) just isn't the best way for some people go get the info in their head.

The only time I get annoyed is when whatever-their-distraction-is gets in the way of me (because I tend to learn best from listening to the prof). People with noisy distractions - knitters clicking, ahem - are kinda a pain. My take on it is that your right to distract yourself in lecture ends when your distraction is disruptive.

I think it would be unnecessarily harsh if he was actually prepared for the questions that professors threw to him. In addition to that, it's distracting when he's trying to get other people around him to look at his screen and all you hear is whispering and giggling -- not to mention rude to the lecturer.
 
Externship planning is going to be the death of me. Finally got my application off to JHU about their lab animal externships (one of my letter writers had the flu for a week). Before Christmas, I emailed a local exotics clinic about an externship there. They'd had AVC students before and got back to me pronto and said "Sure! Just send us the paper work and let us know when you want to come!" So I did that. And then I never heard from them. I emailed them again after the lottery on Jan 31 to confirm the dates I was available and... still no reply. I've also been trying to find somewhere with zebrafish. My undergrad school has some, but they just hired on a new vet and he's too busy. I emailed McGill about a week ago, and haven't heard anything from them. I may need to move to phone calls, which I hate doing, because it seems like you just end up playing phone tag.
 
Ok, I understand that admin issues happen on occasion, but seriously to have *something* go wrong every single day is just absurd.

The biggest problem is that our course organizer for this semester is insanely lazy. First of all, I don't know if he can not post notes online or just does not want to, but the powerpoints we should have for classes that the professors (including for the class that our dean taught) have given to him have not been posted.

Second, I don't know if there is a general, no one is talking to anyone issue going on or what, but we have 2 different websites where course material can be posted and no one can seem to decide which is the right one to use. So for one lecture it might be on one website, another lecture it is on a different one. Basically we are to just go digging through these various websites which are horridly disorganized to find material.

Thirdly, videos that are posted will not all work in the same web browser. So, for one video Google chrome might be fine, but for another I will need to switch to internet explorer or to firefox. I have to dig through two websites to find these then I have to feck around with 3 internet browsers in order to figure out which will work. It takes me more time finding course material sometimes than it does to review it.

Fourthly, scheduling. Is it really that hard? I know some idiot somewhere decided to throw together this new building and give it only 2 lecture theaters for a total of 5 years of classes that are learning at the school, but still. I spent 20 minutes sitting in the room that was on our timetable for the video we had to watch and no one showed up. So we went to ask what was going on and we were told that it is in a different room. The professor had already started the video and we walked in when it was nearly over. Also, an entire group (our class is broken into smaller groups for practicals) was not scheduled for their lab so they emailed everyone 3 hours before the start to say, "hey you have lab"... um, some people don't keep their horse gear at the school and people need more than a 3 hour notice.

Lastly, teach the instructors how to use the darn equipment in the classroom. Seriously. Over the summer have a one hour briefing on it or something. I can not tell you how many lecturers can not work a damn microphone. They stare at the thing like it came from outer space. Then they have to go get IT to come look at it when it won't work, and the vast majority of the time it is because it is on mute. And despite the entire class saying, check the mute button, they still don't. Computer confusion is one thing (crap happens with computers) though it is still frustrating that some of them can never figure it out. But not knowing how to use a microphone when you have lectured how many times???? :bang:

It is just frustrating when we are told constantly to act like professionals, be on time, etc, etc, etc.... but the staff can't even follow this.
 
Externship planning is going to be the death of me. Finally got my application off to JHU about their lab animal externships (one of my letter writers had the flu for a week). Before Christmas, I emailed a local exotics clinic about an externship there. They'd had AVC students before and got back to me pronto and said "Sure! Just send us the paper work and let us know when you want to come!" So I did that. And then I never heard from them. I emailed them again after the lottery on Jan 31 to confirm the dates I was available and... still no reply. I've also been trying to find somewhere with zebrafish. My undergrad school has some, but they just hired on a new vet and he's too busy. I emailed McGill about a week ago, and haven't heard anything from them. I may need to move to phone calls, which I hate doing, because it seems like you just end up playing phone tag.
http://notsohumblepie.blogspot.com/2009/12/science-cookies-zebrafish.html this really has nothing to do with anything you posted, but someone sent me another cookie link this morning and the zebrafish one popped up at the bottom. i couldnt remember where i had remembered someone mentioning zebrafish recently (must have been you though!)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't have an oven 🙁 there seems to be a distinct lack of little bakeries on PEI.

Probably a good thing - I don't actually need any cookies.

There's a little bakery in the farmer's market! Forget the name of it but I had a mini pumpkin pie from there and it was delicious.
 
It is just frustrating when we are told constantly to act like professionals, be on time, etc, etc, etc.... but the staff can't even follow this.

That's what gets me too. Would they show up late or completely forget a job interview or a presentation to their peers? No. So why are we somehow different? And we have the same issues with professors not being able to work the equipment...then they ask us how to do it? Uh, I'm not the one who works here and uses it all of the time. Fortunately one of our classmates knows how it works and goes up to fix it but urgh.
 
Speaking of professionalism, I want our epidemiology prof to get her **** together! Every class she has mistakes on her slides or calculation errors. Apparently, she makes these same mistakes every year. She might be just f**king with us!
 
Ugh I'm sick and tired of specialty rotations where the main message taught = you should refer everything, and your role after paying $1000 per week to partake in the stupid rotation = 60% dog/cat restrainer, 35% errand girl/tech, and 5% doctoring of the patient
 
Speaking of professionalism, I want our epidemiology prof to get her **** together! Every class she has mistakes on her slides or calculation errors. Apparently, she makes these same mistakes every year. She might be just f**king with us!

The sun will die before she gets her **** together. The woman is a mess. (To the point that I have heard other faculty mock her.)
 
our very gifted and amazing equine professor resigned and left at the end of last semester. my class now has a series of visiting equine specialists teaching us equine internal medicine. our first VP is dutch, and while you can tell she's brilliant and very good at what she does, her ability to convey information in english is poor and her ability to teach students of north american origin is even poorer. we've not been trained to be mind readers or to extract something from nothing (i say this with certainty that there is a very different style of teaching and expectation in some areas of europe because we've had 3 from U Utrecht and one from Belgium and they are so vastly different from our typical NA profs). i've been to all the classes. i've taken notes, i've reread those notes, i've read the "suggested" tb pages from LAIM by smith. i feel like i know NOTHING. i cant figure anything out. and while i'm sure a bit of it is that i'm not an equine person, that's clearly not a deal breaker because i also know 0% about FA, but the FA VP from VMRCVM did a fabulous job teaching and i got all his questions correct. rawr. i feel so discouraged!😳
 
The sun will die before she gets her **** together. The woman is a mess. (To the point that I have heard other faculty mock her.)

I would LOVE for her to get it together. I've heard similar things from faculty, and it kind of makes me sad because I get the impression that it's not her fault. At the same time though I go bonkers in class because I feel like she's wasting my time (and she is).
 
Ok, crazy cat lady professor, I understand you really like cats and are passionate about making them comfortable in the vet clinic, but....

-A two hour lecture on how to make the vet clinic "cat friendly" is a bit over the top, especially when you move through the lecture at a snail's pace and a bunch of the lecture is a repeat from a previous lecture given to us last year.
-Making cat noises in lecture is really not necessary, yes the first time was kind of silly and some people laughed, but spending a good minute or two making cat noises is to the point of me thinking you need a straight jacket.
-When asking the class if we want a 5 minute break during the lecture (because it was 2 hours long), do not refer to the bathroom as "the litterbox" and don't tell us when we get back to class that you will often go to places and ask where is "the litterbox". You can be passionate about cats without being crazy.

Yes, I really do think you might need a straight jacket, or a crazy cat lady anonymous club... something.
 
Ok, crazy cat lady professor, I understand you really like cats and are passionate about making them comfortable in the vet clinic, but....

-A two hour lecture on how to make the vet clinic "cat friendly" is a bit over the top, especially when you move through the lecture at a snail's pace and a bunch of the lecture is a repeat from a previous lecture given to us last year.
-Making cat noises in lecture is really not necessary, yes the first time was kind of silly and some people laughed, but spending a good minute or two making cat noises is to the point of me thinking you need a straight jacket.
-When asking the class if we want a 5 minute break during the lecture (because it was 2 hours long), do not refer to the bathroom as "the litterbox" and don't tell us when we get back to class that you will often go to places and ask where is "the litterbox". You can be passionate about cats without being crazy.

Yes, I really do think you might need a straight jacket, or a crazy cat lady anonymous club... something.

🤣 😆
 
Ok, crazy cat lady professor, I understand you really like cats and are passionate about making them comfortable in the vet clinic, but....

-A two hour lecture on how to make the vet clinic "cat friendly" is a bit over the top, especially when you move through the lecture at a snail's pace and a bunch of the lecture is a repeat from a previous lecture given to us last year.
-Making cat noises in lecture is really not necessary, yes the first time was kind of silly and some people laughed, but spending a good minute or two making cat noises is to the point of me thinking you need a straight jacket.
-When asking the class if we want a 5 minute break during the lecture (because it was 2 hours long), do not refer to the bathroom as "the litterbox" and don't tell us when we get back to class that you will often go to places and ask where is "the litterbox". You can be passionate about cats without being crazy.

Yes, I really do think you might need a straight jacket, or a crazy cat lady anonymous club... something.
😱🤣😆woooooow.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agreed with TR. She's been at this long enough to know what she needs to do. If she can't do it, maybe she needs to retire.

My rant - One professor has now missed 3 lectures this semester. This is absolutely unacceptable. If she can't handle her clinical duties and teaching and whatever else she needs to do, then something needs to give. Work it out with the administration or something. But I do not appreciate getting up for class and then sitting around for an hour, then re--scheduling that lecture somewhere else in an already full schedule.
 
Agreed with TR. She's been at this long enough to know what she needs to do. If she can't do it, maybe she needs to retire.

My rant - One professor has now missed 3 lectures this semester. This is absolutely unacceptable. If she can't handle her clinical duties and teaching and whatever else she needs to do, then something needs to give. Work it out with the administration or something. But I do not appreciate getting up for class and then sitting around for an hour, then re--scheduling that lecture somewhere else in an already full schedule.

The number of missed classes this semester is ridiculous. Angry letter time.
 
Clinician: "Oh. hey, let's D/C that medication at 9pm."
Me: Writes instructions in the chart and goes home... medication runs out at 9pm.
10pm phone call...Clinician: "WHY DIDNT YOU MAKE UP A NEW BAG OF THAT MEDICATION?!?!?!?!?!"

So this morning I get here early to make up a new bag of IV fluids since we talked about leaving him on fluids for at least another 24-48hours.
Clinician: "Ugh, you should have waited. I wanted to stop the fluids today."

Cant. win.
 
Clinician: "Oh. hey, let's D/C that medication at 9pm."
Me: Writes instructions in the chart and goes home... medication runs out at 9pm.
10pm phone call...Clinician: "WHY DIDNT YOU MAKE UP A NEW BAG OF THAT MEDICATION?!?!?!?!?!"

So this morning I get here early to make up a new bag of IV fluids since we talked about leaving him on fluids for at least another 24-48hours.
Clinician: "Ugh, you should have waited. I wanted to stop the fluids today."

Cant. win.

I feel ya man

Omg I love needing to put on this blank stupid face just to be all like, "oh I'm so sorry, I obviously didnt think that through" because that's so much easier than sounding like you're making excuses and offending the clinician and making them all pissy. Thankfully this doesn't happen very often. Most clinicians are more likely to realize it was their fault and apologize about the miscommunication. But the few douchebag clinicians can really put a damper on my week. Ugh.