vet school readmittance policies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nathan phillips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows if acceptance into a vet school carries over for at least a year (if I decide not to attend for the upcoming year). Are acceptances good for only one entrance year? If not, what is the likelihood of getting into a school a year after they already accepted you? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone knows if acceptance into a vet school carries over for at least a year (if I decide not to attend for the upcoming year). Are acceptances good for only one entrance year? If not, what is the likelihood of getting into a school a year after they already accepted you? Thanks.

It sounds like you're asking about deferring for year. The best way to find out whether or not this is possible for a school you were accepted to is to call and ask them. Some schools are great about letting you defer for a year. others require you to reapply the next year and there's no guarantee you'll be accepted again.

You should ask yourself what is making you want to defer for the year. Schools are pretty understanding about medical issues or family issues and less understanding about certain personal goals.