Vet School Study Tools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey!

Does anyone have any good apps, websites or suggestions as to how to increase knowledge of veterinary medicine? I was supposed to work and volunteer in different clinics this summer, but so far I haven’t heard anything from them. I want to keep learning about vet med though! I’m mostly looking for case simulators, cause I like interactive stuff and I have some vet med books I read already. But, any suggestions would be super helpful.
You could look into things like dvm360, AVMA health smartbrief...I don't really know of anything not behind a paywall that would take you through case simulations though

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey!

Does anyone have any good apps, websites or suggestions as to how to increase knowledge of veterinary medicine? I was supposed to work and volunteer in different clinics this summer, but so far I haven’t heard anything from them. I want to keep learning about vet med though! I’m mostly looking for case simulators, cause I like interactive stuff and I have some vet med books I read already. But, any suggestions would be super helpful.

If you’re a current vet student you can get a VIN account for free and they have a whole student section with some simulations and stuff

If you’re a current vet student you can get a VIN account for free and they have a whole student section with some simulations and stuff

Unfortunately I’m in undergrad! But thanks for letting me know, I’ll definitely have to look into it in the future.

And thanks [mention]WildZoo [/mention] I will look into those for sure!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

Dr. Adrien-Maxence Hespel at University of Tennesee posts radiology case studies.

Before I graduated, I was also writing case study exercises and journal clubs for undergrads; if you want to work through one yourself or with a friend, or want me to do one with you over voice chat or Zoom (may take a while to arrange a time though) let me know. I designed them for underclassmen, so I hope that's the level they're at . Offer stands for anyone else too. Full disclosure that anyone agreeing to this would be a bit of a guinea pig: I haven't been able to present most to at all large of a group. Partly because my school's club was small, but also because stuff kept messing up the dates.

Long shot, but don't discount reaching out to research professors at your undergrad. My PI just needed someone scientifically literate but without knowledge of our study to read a manuscript draft. Lab already found someone to do that, but you never know where you'll find an open window in the current house of closed doors? I also know someone who's doing contact tracing over the phone and has found that it really builds a lot of the same trust-building skills a clinician needs. I don't know that they'd train you to contact trace for just a summer, but if you're taking a gap year it might be worth looking into. I know it's my own back-up plan right now.

Hey!

The Merck Vet Manual app is free and has cases you can walk through with interactive quizzes (under the Resources tab in the app). I just found these and have been enjoying them!

Reactions: 1 users
The Merck Vet Manual app is free and has cases you can walk through with interactive quizzes (under the Resources tab in the app). I just found these and have been enjoying them!

taking some of the quizzes and doing case studies and I DON'T KNOW ****!!!!! :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Bumping this for the new vet students, see the first post in the thread for some study tools, and also probably peruse the rest of the thread for more!

Also for anyone looking for ophtho resources, this site was put together by one of our former ophtho clinicians and it is wonderful

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Physiology video resources:

Khan Academy MCAT prep - see “Organ Systems”
(Can’t believe all the stuff you need to know for the MCAT...)

Crash Course in Anatomy and Physiology

Reactions: 1 users
Crash course is great. I literally just used one of their videos to build the physiology review portion of a PowerPoint for 4th year zoom rounds

A friend of mine really likes watching Dr. Matt & Dr Mike YouTube channel for Physiology.

I personally really like how they say skeletal (For all that are curious, timestamp: 0:19)

1001_Muscle_Tissue_revised.png

Bump. Does anyone have resources for Neuroanatomy? Anki or quizlet decks they are willing to share? UMN is helping a bit but this class is dreadful.

DeLehunta has helped if anyone has more textbook recommendations too

Bump. Does anyone have resources for Neuroanatomy? Anki or quizlet decks they are willing to share? UMN is helping a bit but this class is dreadful.

DeLehunta has helped if anyone has more textbook recommendations too
What are the aspects of the course that you feel you’re having the most trouble with? Is it not having enough resources to study from or finding good ways to study/compile the materials provided in the course?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the aspects of the course that you feel you’re having the most trouble with? Is it not having enough resources to study from or finding good ways to study/compile the materials provided in the course?
Mostly synthesis of material - our professor gives us 25+ pages of material a week and what we need to know is rarely explicit. I don’t really mesh with her teaching style as well and I have had better luck when the material is in another form.

Links that I accrued over this last year:

Anatomy
Histology/Physiology

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but some of the links do not work

Good thing everyone here is, is trying to be, or was a professional student and should be able to search themselves when given some information. Also the original posts on this thread are seven years old so it’s not that surprising that some links don’t work anymore?

At @SkiOtter's suggestion, copying this post I had in another thread:

Also, in case it hasn't been mentioned in this thread already somewhere, Armando Hasudungan's YouTube channel has TONS of explanations of how various things work, from signaling pathways to more general biochem to medicine. I didn't know about his channel when I was in vet school, but I used it a ton when I was studying for my PhD qualifying exams, and highly recommend it.

Links that I accrued over this last year:

Anatomy
Histology/Physiology
@Aprilthearab

• Love
Hey, anyone have any good online cardiology references? Have an away rotation next week and I would like to minimize how dumb I look (especially since my co-student is one of the class geniuses haha).

Checked out the previous links but none of them are live anymore.

What would be the best things to study before starting vet school? I am starting in August 2022 and I want to be prepared for the large amount of information and huge adjustment that vet school is.

What would be the best things to study before starting vet school? I am starting in August 2022 and I want to be prepared for the large amount of information and huge adjustment that vet school is.
Best advice I got was that you can’t prepare for vet school. Every school has different information that they expect you to know so it’s difficult to study early. Just relax and enjoy your time before having to start.

Reactions: 5 users
The backs of your eyelids.

In all seriousness, don't bother trying to pre-study. It's a waste of time, and anything you do manage to learn will likely be eclipsed within the first week of vet school. I guess if you're just really itching to learn something, then it might be worth it to familiarize yourself with very basic medical terminology and/or anatomical positions, but I definitely wouldn't recommend that you attempt to teach yourself actual anatomy or anything like that.

Instead, relax and focus on developing hobbies and other outlets that you can use to preserve your mental wellness. Those will be your lifeline in vet school and will help to keep you sane in the torrent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
Going to second everyone saying not to study before vet school! I'm about a month into my first year and am so glad I didn't bother (beyond learning some basic anatomy terms, which was recommended by the professor)- I'm doing fine in my classes so far without pre-studying :) Any pre-studying you do won't be at the level of detail or the pace you'll need to adjust to in vet school anyway, so it's really just not worth your time.

If you're dying for something to do before you start classes, getting more clinical experience will never hurt! There's also lots of webinars and online resources out there for veterinary medicine that are probably more interesting (and applicable for your future career) than learning anatomy- Partners for Healthy Pets (preventive medicine), Beef and Dairy Quality Assurance, Lafeber (exotics webinars). I would also recommend trying out some easy, cheap, and healthy recipes that you can make in bulk- finding the time to cook every day or go out to eat all the time is going to be pretty low on your priorities, so finding ways to make your life easier is going to be really important.

I found a great website for medical students. As we all know, medical students have to remember many things while studying. So it is very important to know the strategy to remember. You can check this website. You can find Taxonomy Mnemonic, Layers Of Skin Mnemonic, Lumbar Puncture Layers Mnemonic, Layers Of Retina Mnemonic, Mnemonic For Cranial Nerves, and many more.

I found a great website for medical students. As we all know, medical students have to remember many things while studying. So it is very important to know the strategy to remember. You can check this website. You can find Taxonomy Mnemonic, Layers Of Skin Mnemonic, Lumbar Puncture Layers Mnemonic, Layers Of Retina Mnemonic, Mnemonic For Cranial Nerves, and many more.
Error: not nearly enough dirty mnemonics. 5 years out from first year and I still remember all of my cranial nerve mnemonics :whistle:

some say marry money, but my brother says big boobs matter most.

Reactions: 8 users
Are there any good apps or anything for studying that you guys utilize? What are the best strategies to studying?

I've been doing some more vet student-oriented content on my blog: https://pathologyandponies.ca/

Right now most of it is on general pathology stuff (and probably more advanced than vet students need) since I'm studying for boards, but hopefully you guys will find something useful!

• Care
I've been doing some more vet student-oriented content on my blog: Pathology and Ponies

Right now most of it is on general pathology stuff (and probably more advanced than vet students need) since I'm studying for boards, but hopefully you guys will find something useful!
Good luck with studying for boards!

• Love
Are there any good apps or anything for studying that you guys utilize? What are the best strategies to studying?
Quizlet Pro is basically my boyfriend. But i cheat on Quizlet with Notability. Love being able to draw things out (nerves, vessels etc)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hey friends! I've added a new study resource to my blog if you guys want to check them out. I call them "Clinical Queries". Basically they are diagnostic cases you can work through going from the initial presenting history, diagnostics, making a diagnosis, treatment options, etc. I'm currently posting one a week on Saturdays but I might be upping that to twice a week. People seem to really enjoy them so I hope you guys do too!

Clinical Queries - Pathology and Ponies

If you guys have any other resources you think would be useful let me know! I'm currently working on a histology guide for vet students but I would love to make other materials for you guys :)

• Love