Vet School Transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jji3798

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!
I have been trying to find threads about transfer from one vet school to another, but I was still struggling to make up my mind. As I am trying to think about all the possibilities, I kept questioning myself whether it would be worth trying applying. I truly love my current school, but the only problem with me is the location and emotional support system being closer to school that I want to transfer to. I believe having a strong emotional support near me would help me focus more on building my career and excelling in academics. Because I have been struggling to get used to the new environment, I didn't really have time, both physically and mentally, to gain more extracurricular experiences in my first year. This worries me because I believe the school that I'm trying to transfer to will want to see some kind of improvement or development that I have made during my first year in vet school. Would this be a big part in application and decision making process of the school? Also, can anyone please share stats for those who successfully transferred? I have tried contacting the school of my interest, but their advices did not cover these questions, so I wanted to ask help on SDN. Thank you so much for your comments!

Members don't see this ad.

Grain of salt since I don't have direct feedback for you since I didn’t transfer and my school doesn’t allow transfers, but...

I'd say just shoot your shot and apply to transfer if that'swhat you want. The worst they will say is no.

Not to be too much of a cynic but if they have an open seat, they'd probably rather have you in it paying them tuition money than leave it empty even if you aren't a great student or super into extracurriculars or whatever.

@DVMDream @jaboo may have better thoughts

I don't really have thoughts. Every transfer is different, every school is different. Apply to transfer, you might get it, you might not, they may not even have a seat available. Be prepared to spend all 4 years wherever you are currently located for vet school. You may have to repeat course or years or semesters if you do get a transfer and you may not, it all just depends.

I get tagged in these all the time. My answer is the same. I can't comment on transfers more than they are very case by case and school dependent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I successfully transferred if you have any questions and want to reach out to me directly.

Reactions: 1 user
I successfully transferred if you have any questions and want to reach out to me directly.
Hello, I’m reaching out to get some advice. I withdrew from RUSVM during my second semester. I applied to Iowa through VMCAS (didn’t get it) and I just got notified today that they would like me to apply as a transfer student (deadline is Apr.15th). I wanted to ask you how hard or easy was it to transfer? Did you get notified of acceptance right away? Is the applicant pool for transfers small? Do you think I have a good chance at getting in or should I not get my hopes up?

thank you,

Hello, I’m reaching out to get some advice. I withdrew from RUSVM during my second semester. I applied to Iowa through VMCAS (didn’t get it) and I just got notified today that they would like me to apply as a transfer student (deadline is Apr.15th). I wanted to ask you how hard or easy was it to transfer? Did you get notified of acceptance right away? Is the applicant pool for transfers small? Do you think I have a good chance at getting in or should I not get my hopes up?

thank you,
Though I'm not a transfer and can't speak to that experience, I will say you literally have nothing to lose. You've already withdrawn from one school, denied by another, and now have an opportunity to try again. Why not just go for it, regardless of the odds?

Reactions: 3 users
Agree with battie - worst that will happen is they'll say no. and then you'll be no worse off than you are now other than whatever you need to pay to apply (if anything?)

In fact, I'd say you have a good chance if they are asking you to apply as a transfer - they wouldn't ask if they didn't have a seat to fill. If they've seen your app on vmcas already they clearly think you are qualified for the seat. You may end up being the only applicant for transfer, or one of only a handful.

Reactions: 3 users
I most certainly will apply! Thanks for the kind words! - was just curious about the process :giggle:

• Care
Reactions: 1 users