Vet Schools and AP Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

all605

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, let me just say hi to you all. I stumbled across this forum a few months ago, but have just lurked every once in a while. Now that I've finally joined, hopefully I'll post fairly regularly. You all seem really nice and helpful :)

I have a question regarding how vet schools view AP credit. I'm currently a high school senior heading off to college in the fall, and I have credit from 6 AP tests I've taken during my high school years. I know though that vet schools have pre-reqs to get in, and I'm wondering if those must all be taken at the actual college or if the vet schools will accept the AP credit to fulfill certain classes. I have AP credit for 2 science courses (bio and physics) as well as for calculus and some humanities (just throwing that out there in case it makes any difference).

I sign up for classes in a few weeks, so I'd just like to know if I should be retaking classes (especially intro science classes) that I already have credit for from AP.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the schools you are applying to.

I applied in 2005 (for 06 matriculation) and used AP credits in Chem, Bio, Calc, and Macroeconomics and they took them at Penn, Tufts, NC State, Colorado, and Illinois, although that may have changed. I know they required that my undergrad school document the AP credit on the transcript with a grade (which my undergrad did). Things may have changed though, I would definitely check with the vet schools that you think you might apply to.

I know they required that my undergrad school document the AP credit on the transcript with a grade (which my undergrad did).

That is definitely not universal though. I know from my undergrad institution the only mention of AP credits was something like "Transfer credits: 4 (AP)" with no mention of what they were in, and no grade associated.

The best my school could offer was to include unofficial transcripts in the envelopes with the official copies and that they unofficial ones would indicate that they 4 credits filled a gen bio requirement. I decided to play it safe/easy and am retaking gen bio 100 this summer so i wont have to worry about the school not getting the transcripts right.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to have a grade associated with the ap credit, but it does have to show up on your transcript. This is true for most schools. The exceptions for schools I applied to were as follows: Cornell basicaly will not accept any AP for pre-reqs. They will accept an upper level course in place of the class you APed out of. Iowa State requires the official AP score report in order to accept AP credit. This is not an exhaustive list though. I did have quite a bit of AP, so I have firsthand knowledge of these policies.

Iowa State requires the official AP score report in order to accept AP credit.

Indeed, they did. And man did I feel old when ETS had to go pull my AP scores out of archives!! :laugh:

thanks everyone. I'll try to do some research this weekend then to find out more about the policies of the vet schools that I'll likely apply to.

30 of my credits for graduation were via high school AP tests and they were all taken by Vet school.

I was looking into this a little while ago as I want to skip out of Gen Bio, Chem, and Calc 1 and the consensus I found was that the vet school will take anything that your college accepts and puts on transcripts.

My problem is that my school does not accept LAB credit for AP courses, so I"m trying to figure out how to solve that without retaking a bunch of labs.

If your undergraduate college accepts your AP credit you will probably be fine (at most schools). If they do not, you will probably have to repeat the courses.

thanks again everyone. this is all really helpful.

the schools that I am considering applying to for vet school are illinois (definitely since that's where I live), purdue, kansas, iowa, wisconsin, missouri, michigan, and ohio. So if anybody has any more specific info on those schools, I'd appreciate it. I know some of you have already posted some specifics for those schools, so thanks for that. I've gone to most of their web sites to look up their pre-reqs, but I haven't been able to find specific info for how they handle AP credit (except on the illinois site).

pretty much from what I'm reading here though is that as long as my college excepts my credit and puts it on my transcript, I should be fine 90% of the time. does that seem right?