Vet schools and breed bans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TrocarKarin

WesternU 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I won't be applying to vet school for another year, but as I'm trying to narrow down which schools I apply to, a thought crossed my mind. Do any of the vet schools exist in areas with breed bans? I know breed bans are usually targeted at the bully breeds, but they're sometimes aimed at rotties, dobes, and other "intimidating" dogs. I just thought I would ask, so I don't waste an application fee on a city where my dobermans aren't welcome.
 
Columbus (Ohio State) has BSL against pit bulls and pit bull like breeds. I think there is a limit on how many you can own, in addition to a minimum amount of liability insurance required, and type of confinement. I know other parts of Ohio are even worse, aimed at some of the breeds you've mentioned. Most major cities are moving in this direction, unfortunately if they don't have BSL now they probably will in the future. Even if it's not in the law it's often hard to find places to rent, hard to get insurance, etc...
 
I know Denver has breed bans, as do some of the surrounding areas. Although CSU is in Ft. Collins, this can still be an issue due to surrounding areas following Denver's lead. On the other hand, some of the other communities are moving in the opposite direction and trying to do away with the bans. The bans target bully breeds, but many of the areas are also incorporating other so-called "dangerous" breeds into the bans as well. I live in TX at the moment, so I don't know much else other than that.

From what I gather a lot of vet schools are in more rural areas so you may have an easier time of it... or could be the opposite. I'm very fortunate to be in the position where I own my home, so I don't have to worry about renting. I do know a lot of landlords have breed bans that will include other breeds besides pits.

Not sure if this matters to you, but I'm actually looking at schools in Australia, and there are a lot of breed bans there, including importation. Fortunately my pits don't fall under the bans because they're mixes. They do, however, fall under the bans in Colorado.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In Fort Collins, the city itself does not have a breed ban and I haven't heard any talk of it going that way soon, they are too busy debating the 3 unrelated in one house rule (very stupid and prejudice if you ask me). But many of the individual rental communities have breed bans that even include german shepards and huskies in some cases. You just have to check with the individual property.
 
Here in Knoxville, there are no breed bans that I know of. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) But there are a lot of apartment complexes that ban certain breeds. I think pits, chows, and some others are on the list at my complex. (Not sure about Dobermans.) I know my friend got asked if her lab mix had pit when she rented a house, too. (We actually think he has Greyhound.)

I know it was the same way when I was living in Raleigh a few years ago. Breed bans on rentals, but not city wide. (Not sure if it's changed in Raleigh since I left 2 years ago.)
 
Thanks for asking this question TrocarKarin. As someone who owns large, vicious, blood thirsty Amstaff Terriers 😉, I was wondering the same thing.
Scratching OHIO off my list! :bullcrap::annoyed:
 
In Fort Collins, the city itself does not have a breed ban and I haven't heard any talk of it going that way soon, they are too busy debating the 3 unrelated in one house rule (very stupid and prejudice if you ask me). But many of the individual rental communities have breed bans that even include german shepards and huskies in some cases. You just have to check with the individual property.
That's good to know. We were looking at moving to an area somewhere between Ft. Collins and Denver if I were to end up going to CSU, so that's when I started realizing the problem of breed bans. Wow, ban on 3 unrelated in one house? Yeah didn't know about that one... pretty strange.
 
That's good to know. We were looking at moving to an area somewhere between Ft. Collins and Denver if I were to end up going to CSU, so that's when I started realizing the problem of breed bans. Wow, ban on 3 unrelated in one house? Yeah didn't know about that one... pretty strange.

It was supposed to help with the partiers and loud neighbors on the streets around campus, but there have been more than a few neighbors that have abused it calling the cops for the smallest infraction. It's a case of guilty until proven innocent for the accused. But it only applies to you if you live within city limits. They call it U+2.
 
Spend a lot of time on google. I emailed human societies/animal control/other shelters in the areas of the schools I was interested in to ask... that's how I got the best information.