Vet Sororities at UGA?

Started by UGAvet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UGAvet

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I go to UGA and want to go to to the vet school at UGA. I'm also thinking about joining a sorority. Does anybody know of any "pre-vet" sororities or anything of the sort? Or just any promising sororities that might look good on a application?
 
I don't know about "promising sororities", but I do know there is one sorority where the majority of the girls are pre-vet. I think it's Kappa Alpha?? I heard about it my freshman year during a pre-vet club meeting.
 
I don't know about "promising sororities", but I do know there is one sorority where the majority of the girls are pre-vet. I think it's Kappa Alpha?? I heard about it my freshman year during a pre-vet club meeting.

That sounds like hell. 😱

(disclaimer: I am not anti-sorority, but I am anti-putting-super-competitive-pre-professional-girls-in-the-same-house-and-seeing-what-happens.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I admit that I'm not really the sorority sort of person to begin with but I would suggest against joining a pre-vet sorority that isn't strictly professional. I'm in an honors agriculture fraternity and we do a lot of nice stuff but because it isn't vet school focused, there isn't a vicious air of competition or anything. I imagine it would be more competitive and catty than anything.

If you're looking for extra curriculars, try Block and Bridle or your pre-vet club. Also remember that just because you're in their pre-vet sorority doesn't mean that you'll get in!
 
Kappa Alpha is a fraternity, and it's not a veterinary one 😉

I was Greek during undergrad as a pre veterinary student in Arizona, and I believe it helped my chances of getting into veterinary school immensely. My community service through philanthropies ended up being at least 7 pages long, I had a boat load of leadership experience, a solid support group, and it's common knowledge that Greek GPA's are higher than non-Greek GPAs. You have more access to networks, and you definitely learn how to manage time and balance school. Don't let the fear of girls (I hate them with a passion, but somehow managed to find a house of 180 girls I adore) deter you, or the fear of being "weird." In my sorority we had quite a few pre-med girls (and just as many looking for their MRS) and these pre-med girls formed the best study groups.

I know Sigma Alpha is an agricultural sorority, if you're looking more for a "club" sorority than a Panhellenic "social" sorority. Go through orientation/rush, worst case scenario you hate it and don't do it. Best case? You have an amazing 4 years.
 
Hahaha that was exactly what my first thought was too. The worst thing....

OP basically being a pre-vet and being a vet student you might as well be in a sorority anyway considering that Y chromosomes are very scarce.
This is probably the worst aspect of vet school :cry:
 
I also go to UGA and am pre-vet...
like it was said before, there's an agricultural sorority called Sigma Alpha but its nothing specfic to pre-vet at all...

joining the pre-vet club will do the most for you I think. they meet mondays (every other monday i'm pretty sure.. )