Sep 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hello everyone.
I have a question that I am starting to research & hopefully someone here can help.
My niece is looking at online programs to get her associate's degree as vet tech, but which ones do all of you know that are accredited and legit?
I found a list that claims to be accredited here: https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDevelopment/Education/Accreditation/Programs/Pages/vettech-programs.aspx
Does that list look legit? Are there any that you know of that are good? Is the AVMA the accrediting association? She is going for her associate's degree, and I am looking for a good place for her to go.
Thank you in advance for any help.

J Hughes

WildZoo

Illegal in all 50, Unlynchable Wolf
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2013
The doll factory
Status
Veterinary Student
The AVMA accredited programs are definitely legit. It's the same association that accredits vet schools :)

Reactions: jhugheslk

lailanni

c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2007
Status
Veterinarian
My small bit of advice - Being a licensed tech is different from being an assistant. I would caution against programs that offer a certification in being a "veterinary assistant" -- there is no real, accredited certification for that. Anyone can be an assistant. I was hired as an assistant just from shadowing for a while. I saw some sham of a school offering certificates to be trained as an assistant for thousands of dollars. Completely unnecessary and not a job requirement.

(You guys probably already knew that, but I just wanted to put it out there just in case. I'd hate to see anyone spend thousands of dollars on a certificate that is useless)

pinkpuppy9

Illinois c/o 2019
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
My small bit of advice - Being a licensed tech is different from being an assistant. I would caution against programs that offer a certification in being a "veterinary assistant" -- there is no real, accredited certification for that. Anyone can be an assistant. I was hired as an assistant just from shadowing for a while. I saw some sham of a school offering certificates to be trained as an assistant for thousands of dollars. Completely unnecessary and not a job requirement.

(You guys probably already knew that, but I just wanted to put it out there just in case. I'd hate to see anyone spend thousands of dollars on a certificate that is useless)
Those have always irritated me. Some programs do seem more legit than others, even going as far as requiring you to get experience hours for your certificate. Still $1000 you can save, though.

Jul 23, 2014
As already stated, you can become an assistant without being licensed...don't waste the money. If interested in meaningful licensure, but not necessarily a veterinary degree, have her go for technician programs.

Despoina

Future Guinea Pig Hoarder
Jul 24, 2015
Status
Pre-Veterinary
As a licensed veterinary technician, I can tell you first-hand that it is better if she applied for schools that she can attend in person rather than online. You don't receive the same hands-on experience or knowledge online than if you go to school in person. There are a bunch of programs that are AVMA accredited! It took longer and more expensive but it cemented the fact that I wanted to go in the veterinary route. It helped me obtain even more experience and narrow down the exact field I want to specialize in if I get into veterinary school. It also allowed me to get a lot more experience and opportunity in the veterinary field. When I didn't have my VT license, it was hard to find a place to work/volunteer because of a liability. As an LVT, I can administer drugs/ assist in surgery/ and do a lot more stuff that TECHNICALLY a veterinary assistant should NOT be doing. Hope this helps!

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
As an LVT, I can administer drugs/ assist in surgery/ and do a lot more stuff that TECHNICALLY a veterinary assistant should NOT be doing. Hope this helps!
This really varies by state. For some states, assistants are legally allowed to do anything a licensed tech can do. For other states there is a very strict delineation between the job description between the two.

Reactions: WildZoo

pinkpuppy9

Illinois c/o 2019
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
This really varies by state. For some states, assistants are legally allowed to do anything a licensed tech can do. For other states there is a very strict delineation between the job description between the two.
I'm hoping Michigan was one of those, because I did anything and everything except hold controlled drug box keys :p

Really though, I always thought that assistants can do what a tech does, but you only get into trouble if you call yourself a tech in a state that requires techs to be licensed. What states do not allow assistants to do certain tech things (and what things are we talking, exactly?)?