vet tech books/ websites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krodriguez

Tufts class of 2012!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just starting a part-time job at a small animal surgery facility and I know I will be learning everything from the techs I work with, but I also want to do some reading up on my own. Anyone have any good book recommendations or websites that you think I should check out? I really want to learn as fast as possible so as not to be the weak link with my co-workers since I have no previous tech experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not trying to sound negative or mean in any way, but a lot of being a tech has to come from experience. I'm sure there are books that could help you learn about various aspects of the job, but they're no substitute for physically holding a mean cat while the vet is trying to draw blood from the jugular (for example). My first few months as a tech, I felt like an idiot about 90% of the time. But stick with it, and you'll learn a lot of valuable stuff! I've been a tech for about 6 years, part time, and last week was the first time I've taken an X-ray, without any help from the doctor with technique and positioning, where it actually turned out well! So what I'm saying is, it can be a pretty slow learning process, so just have fun with it.

One thing I would recommend, though (although they're a bit pricey, but I got mine on sale), if you're really interested in what's going on around you, is to get a Merck Veterinary Manual. Every time I hear the doctor talk about something and I don't know what it is, I jot it down on a piece of paper and look it up when I get home. I know, I'm a HUGE dork. :D I've also been kind of studying it lately in preparation for my interviews. If you don't want to get the Merck, there are probably textbooks floating around the clinic that you can read during your breaks, and the internet probably has some places where you could look stuff up, too.

See if there are any books lying around at the clinic where you work that may help you. There's one where I work called the Veterinary Technician's Clinical Textbook, or something like that, and I've looked things up in it a couple of times. Good luck and don't get discouraged! Just hang in there and it'll all be worth it. :)

I was going to suggest the Merck manual as well. You'll learn so much by watching and doing! One thing I liked doing when I worked as a tech while taking O chem was pocketing (with the Dr's permission, of course) the pharmaceutical product descriptions (the ones folded and glued to the medicine boxes/bottles). It was just a handy reference, especially with abx and pain medications...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to suggest the Merck manual as well. You'll learn so much by watching and doing! One thing I liked doing when I worked as a tech while taking O chem was pocketing (with the Dr's permission, of course) the pharmaceutical product descriptions (the ones folded and glued to the medicine boxes/bottles). It was just a handy reference, especially with abx and pain medications...

I do that too. :D I really like the Metacam one- it's an interesting molecule.

There's a text out there, something titled to the effect of Animal Health Care Technician or similar. It's medium blue in color, with black border and gold letters. I don't have it with me, so I don't have any other info. However, the book is several hundred pages, and it has many photos and figures in it. You may find it useful, if you're really wanting to get a book.

There's also a Veterinary Technician magazine that you might like out there. Also, there's a spin-off magazine off Veterinary Economics (?) I think that is geared towards all vet staff -- but I can't recall the name of it. The managers or vets in your clinic may have access to it. (It's not the Veterinary Economics magazine itself, but I think it's published by the same folks). Perhaps someone reading here will think of the name.

The "Veterinary Technician's Daily Reference Guide" is pretty good. Like others said experience is key but the books dont hurt.

Joining the VSPN and taking some of the online courses has helped me in learning. They also have some good online chats.