Vet techs: Do you enjoy your job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lyndsaygirl123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I have been considering becoming a vet tech if neither vet school nor PA school works out. I think I would enjoy it but I would like to hear the opinions of people who are currently in the profession.

If you don't mind, please answer these questions:
Do you enjoy your job?
How much do you get paid? Is it enough to live comfortably on your own?
Are you licensed/registered?

Thank you so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. I have been considering becoming a vet tech if neither vet school nor PA school works out. I think I would enjoy it but I would like to hear the opinions of people who are currently in the profession.

Do you enjoy your job?

this probably would have been better answered in the pre-vet side. You mostly get vet students and vets over here.

It's been a few (read 7 years) since I was a tech.

I did enjoy it at the time, however, I enjoyed diagnosing problems more than the patient care aspect.
I was paid under $10/hr but I lived somewhere with a low cost of living. I lived with my parents at the time and it was enough to meet all my needs and allow me to put some in savings.
I was on-the-job-trained, not certified or licensed.

this probably would have been better answered in the pre-vet side. You mostly get vet students and vets over here.

It's been a few (read 7 years) since I was a tech.

I did enjoy it at the time, however, I enjoyed diagnosing problems more than the patient care aspect.
I was paid under $10/hr but I lived somewhere with a low cost of living. I lived with my parents at the time and it was enough to meet all my needs and allow me to put some in savings.
I was on-the-job-trained, not certified or licensed.
Thank you so much for answering the questions! And sorry about posting this in the wrong section. I wasn't sure which one was best.

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you enjoy your job?

I've been a vet tech for almost 3 years now. I do enjoy it, a lot. I love learning something new everyday. I get paid $12.25. Thank god I have a husband who makes a lot more than me so we do live comfortably but I would not be able to do it on my own. And no I am not a certified vet tech. Hoping to get into vet school this year.

Most vet students and veterinarians have been techs at some point, but none of us chose to pursue that as a permanent career. I bet there is a vet tech forum out there? May be a better place to ask. I'm sure most of us enjoyed being a tech to some degree but wanted something more.

Most vet students and veterinarians have been techs at some point, but none of us chose to pursue that as a permanent career. I bet there is a vet tech forum out there? May be a better place to ask. I'm sure most of us enjoyed being a tech to some degree but wanted something more.

I kind of doubt this....worked at clinics as assistants, yeah, but not techs. Only a handful in my class were former LVTs.

Then again, in my state there really isn't such a thing as a unlicensed tech, which I'd believe that a lot of prevets were. When I read "tech" it means LVT to me. Unlicensed techs are essentially the same as assistants here and usually can't even draw blood legally (although clinics skirt that).

Last edited:
The AVMA distinguishes between tech and assistant, so I think the states do, even though a few don't have it explicitly written into their practice acts, and 99% of clinics overlook it.

I worked as an assistant/tech for about 10 years. On-the-job trained, not licensed/registered. At the hospitals I was in there wasn't much distinction between what I and the LVT/RVTs were allowed to do. I enjoyed the work for the most part, but like a lot of other people here I wanted "more". More of a direct hand in diagnosing/treating, more places to go with my career, more money.

My pay ranged from $6.50/hour in the early 2000s to $11.50/hour when I left a couple of years ago (different practices). Neither wage included health insurance/retirement/etc.; the hospitals just didn't offer that to anyone but the doctors. Depending on your area, it can be very challenging to find a job with both a good wage and good benefits. Being licensed/registered would help with that some (I assume), but many practices are small businesses, and don't have/want to budget for benefits for techs and other assistants. YMMV, of course, but that's been my experience.

Bottom line, it's a great job that doesn't get the compensation it deserves, and opportunities can be more limited.