vet that is not a "people person"?

Started by ceedee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ceedee

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
This might be kind of an odd question, but what could a vet specialize in if he/she wanted to maximize the amount of time spent with animals, and not so much with people?

I'm not antisocial, but I would rather be around animals more than people. Some vets I have shadowed seem to spend over half the time with the owners, and just a few minutes looking at/checking out the actual patients.

I know being a doctor means that you must be able to communicate with and interact with other people, and that is fine, but I just don't want to spend all day having the same kinds of conversations, answering the same questions, making small talk, etc, with pet owners. I know it sounds like I'm some kind of misanthropic recluse, but I swear I'm a nice person! Just not so much a "people person", and I wouldn't want this to alienate any clients and negatively impact my career.
 
Maybe Surgery, Pathology or Diagnostics. That way you deal with the science and medicine but not the people as much. however-you will probably have to explain procedures or diseases to people at some point.

If it makes you feel any better, I'd imagine that most schools have 'communicating with your client' type electives. we have already had several presentations regarding communications tricks to use with clients.

But also, be forewarned-vet school is all about being around lots of people and working together. If you're not into that kind of thing it may be tough for you.
 
Honestly, you're not really going to find many jobs in GENERAL where you don't have to interact with people. In some capacity you're going to have to learn how to be a team player. In most jobs, especially vet med jobs, you're going to have to work in groups and collaborate with other professionals. If you want to have a veterinary position where you care for animals, there's no way around the conversations with the owners. You've got to understand that part of caring for the animals involves making sure the owners understand how to best provide for their animals, whether that's daily care, taking preventative measures, or rehabbing their animal after an illness or injury. Part of the reason I want to get into veterinary medicine is to help educate owners, because while as a vet I will have the knowledge and experience to "fix" a lot of things, the owner is the one doing the day-to-day care of the animal and is that animal's biggest advocate. Owner education and compliance goes a long way in the general welfare of the animals. I hope that made a little sense.

Oh...and unless you want to be kicked to the curb so to speak when it comes time to apply to vet school-don't tell admissions in any capacity that you aren't a people person. Because regardless of the fact that vets take care of animals, it is largely a "people profession."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pathology comes to mind, as well as research. But I agree with what has been said above. You can't totally avoid people, and you will have to deal with pets and their owners during vet school. At least here at UT there is a Community Practice during the 4th year where students, faculty, and staff of the school bring in their animals.

And I agree--definitely DON'T mention that during the interview.
 
While some antisocial types do find their way into research, a good researcher should be able to interact well with his/her colleagues.

For example, an academic researcher might have a dean above her, a manager, grad students and undergrad assistants below her, and colleagues to work with. You'll need to take direction, give direction, and work with equals. Collegiality is key.
 
And to reiterate, saying something like that during the interview may very well be the kiss of death. Don't even touch on it. A vet serves people through animals.
 
For everyone saying pathology - do you realize how often veterinarians call with questions about the reports? My goodness. Some of them are very polite and just want clarification or guidance, but then some are actually mad about the results and kinda want to take it out on someone. Lol! Just my experience from answering phones for the path folks at Antech.

Definitely don't assume that path = no people, it just = no clients. I'm not sure if the vets are (overall) that much better. 😉
 
If what you are talking about is the 'kissing *****' that so many vets (Have?) to do as a private practice owner/associate; you could try emergency and/or internal medicine. While not fields completely devoid of public interaction - you would be able to maximize your time with the patient, and potentially be out of the limelight with respect to the client.

I assume from your post, you don’t have a problem with clients, just don't enjoy it? (I personally find it incredibly draining, and the only time I've ever lost my temper was with a client - so I do know my weaknesses).

If that your case, and I am making an assumption - you can still be a 'regular' vet - just have to pick the right job.

My 2 cents anyway

P.S. As people will likely point out - EM and IM may not be ideal, and CAN have a ton of client interaction, I have also seen the opposite (little to none).

P.P.S. As "Tiktaalik" already brought up - do NOT EVEN think of mentioning or letting on to those thoughts during your interview or in you PS. Don't have to 'lie', just think or it as future personal development/growth or something. But yes, those comments would a majoy red-flag that Dr. Herriot himself could not have dug himself out of.
 
Yea, I'd say youre quite SOL on the no people thing. Especially since, people really don't care for a veterinarian who isn't friendly or welcoming. Youre there for the pets, but the people are giving you their money and it can come across as kind of rude if you don't interact with the owners. It's also going to be a long road to becoming a vet, considering you have to work with others and honestly end up relying heavily on them to help you out. I would suggest rather than shying away from the profession, to try and work to make yourself more outgoing. Otherwise a research may be a good road for you?
 
Unfortunately, the previously mentioned areas of vet medicine, although they do minimize interaction with clients, also minimize interactions with live animals.

Two areas come to mind that might meet your criteria...shelter medicine and research. Obviously you will still deal with people but it will be in a different capacity than you probably saw in a general practice where the your client is the pet's owner.

Also, I wouldn't advertise that you aren't a people person to potential schools 🙂
 
What about shelter medicine? You'd obviously still have to deal with coworkers...but you'd mostly be dealing with animals that have no owners. You might have to do things like testify in court for abuse cases but that is different than dealing with clients

Oops didn't see the above reply
 
I don't see where the OP is saying s/he wants no interaction with people. I think a lot of the responses are kind of making a mountain out of a molehill. There's a huge difference between being a misanthrope and not wanting the huge amount of day-to-day interactions inherent in general practice and some specialties. I would hope any adcom could see that. This field is, fortunately, more than big enough to accommodate a wide range of personal temperaments and preferences.

OP, I understand where you are coming from. I personally don't dislike working with people, but I'm very leery of the long-term relationships you're sort of forced to cultivate in many specialties. I personally am more comfortable with shorter-term client relationships. I'm happier if I can help them through this one particular situation and then send them back to their primary care clinician for long-term management.

For me, I've cultivated the following list of "definitely not" areas of practice and "maybe" areas (some of which I actually have no personal interest in, but which would probably meet the client interaction criteria). I've limited this to SA practice since I'm not knowledgeable enough about LA.

Definitely not:
General practice
Internal medicine
Oncology (medical or radiation)
Holistic medicine
Neurology/neurosurgery
Orthopedic surgery
Cardiology

Maybe:
Emergency (tons of client interaction here, but no long-term stuff)
Critical care
Soft tissue surgery
Shelter medicine
Radiology
Pathology
Dentistry

Of course, areas such as research, public health, etc. would also be worth exploring.
 
There's a huge difference between being a misanthrope and not wanting the huge amount of day-to-day interactions inherent in general practice and some specialties. I would hope any adcom could see that. This field is, fortunately, more than big enough to accommodate a wide range of personal temperaments and preferences.

Isn't the more inherent issue the idea of "I want to be a veterinarian, but dislike the job of all the veterinarians I am familiar with. Oh well, I'll just figure it out when I get there because its such a vast field. "

I think its somewhat dangerous to go into the field without already having clear understanding in your mind how you could see yourself functioning as a veterinarian. If you go in wanting to do speciality and come out wanting to do general practice thats not a big deal (because we do have options). But if you go in with no particular field in mind, there is no guarantee you will fall in love with one while your in vet school.
 
Honestly, you're not really going to find many jobs in GENERAL where you don't have to interact with people. In some capacity you're going to have to learn how to be a team player. In most jobs, especially vet med jobs, you're going to have to work in groups and collaborate with other professionals. If you want to have a veterinary position where you care for animals, there's no way around the conversations with the owners. You've got to understand that part of caring for the animals involves making sure the owners understand how to best provide for their animals, whether that's daily care, taking preventative measures, or rehabbing their animal after an illness or injury. Part of the reason I want to get into veterinary medicine is to help educate owners, because while as a vet I will have the knowledge and experience to "fix" a lot of things, the owner is the one doing the day-to-day care of the animal and is that animal's biggest advocate. Owner education and compliance goes a long way in the general welfare of the animals. I hope that made a little sense.

Oh...and unless you want to be kicked to the curb so to speak when it comes time to apply to vet school-don't tell admissions in any capacity that you aren't a people person. Because regardless of the fact that vets take care of animals, it is largely a "people profession."

I agree on all counts with this comment. I'm also really into the educational aspect of veterinary medicine and I think it's the key in really helping animal welfare and overall health in moving forward.

Unfortunately, there is no job in veterinary medicine where you do not interact with people. Jobs that minimize your interaction with the "general public" that I can think of immediately are research and surgery. In research, you will still need to be able to function as a member of a team of sorts and in surgery, you will need to communicate with other vets as well as clients at times. The traveling surgeon that came to our clinic to do some of the more complicated surgeries rarely spoke to clients - our vets were responsible for follow-ups, etc.

Also, this question reminds me of two people I know that are current veterinary students. Both are abrasive, rude and have very poor people skills, at least from what I've experienced. I wonder to myself sometimes what kind of vets they will make with such bad attitudes, and I hope for the sake of their fellow vets, clients and co-workers that they 180 their attitudes quickly :\
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I know where the OP is coming from.

I'm a bit of a loner, and although I don't hate interacting with clients (I can do it very well in fact) it physically and mentally drains me because at heart I'm an introvert. Even some days when I'm teaching students I get tired, even though I like teaching very much. Honestly, itreally does make me somewhat grouchy when I am on the floor all week by the time Friday rolls around, because I have so many other things to do. So path (for many reasons, but this one included) was perfect because I can get much-needed "breaks" from constant social/professional interaction and bury myself in my slides and projects.

Some ideas: Pathology (although like twelvetigers said, clinicians can and will harass you), radiology, anesthesia, research, feedlot medicine.
 
Last edited:
I don't see where the OP is saying s/he wants no interaction with people. I think a lot of the responses are kind of making a mountain out of a molehill. There's a huge difference between being a misanthrope and not wanting the huge amount of day-to-day interactions inherent in general practice and some specialties.

Completely disagree. I'm a misanthrope, and I should be a fine vet. I can communicate perfectly with people, I just don't like them in general.

OP on the other hand doesn't like small talk etc, exactly the things that grease the social interactions necessary in any profession. There are very few jobs in the world where you don't have to get along with people, dealing with *****s and the like, and repeat social rituals.

Even a hardcore researcher locked up in a room with their animal subjects needs to get funding and needs to kiss *ss to continue in their fields.

It's a fair question, but it is hard to imagine a veterinary job that can insulate you from that no matter.
 
I'm surprised noone has mentioned wildlife? There are no owners, and plenty of live animals involved 🙂. At the wildlife hospital where I work the vet tech says that is one of the things she loves about her job.
 
I'm going to jump in and disagree politely with the Orthopedic surgery specialty that VeganSoprano has on her list. I worked at a clinic that had an orthopedic surgeon that was hell on wheels. She was a brilliant surgeon (really, really brilliant), but would never meet with the clients herself (done by technicians and other staff). If the clients INSISTED on meeting with her, there was a $250 fee, and she usually ripped the client a new one for not spaying/neutering, waiting so long, etc.

Side note: many of the clients that ended up needing her services had purchased puppies from one of the two local mall pet stores (read between the lines: puppy mills), usually a breed like bulldog or one of the other perennial orthopedic favorites. And what do you do with puppy mill puppies that you buy from a pet store? You breed them, of course! Never mind the brother-sister relationship since the puppies from both stores were littermates being supplied by the same mill. So, while it is usually more productive to catch flies with honey than vinegar, I can see why this vet handled things the way she did. It was always a fireworks spectacular...

My point is not to say that ceedee would do this, it is to say that even the most misanthropic can pick whatever specialty, there are always ways around things.
 
Hey ceedee,

Alright, I'm here to champion the cause of Food Animal medicine!

When you arrive at a farm/dairy/whatever, the farmer may be there to greet you, or you may just find a note in the barn telling you which animal/s to see. Sometimes the farmer will start out at your side, but then will have to get back to their own work, and you'll be left to take care of the job at hand. Overall, probably less client contact compared to small animal if that is what you're looking for.

Personally, I love getting to know the farmers, and chatting with them about everything under the sun, but I could see where someone who prefers to keep client contact to a minimum might see some benefits in that regard when considering FA medicine.

And then there are the other perks:

Beautiful countryside...fresh air...riding in your truck all day with your favorite dog by your side...

C'mon everybody! Food Animal medicine ROCKS! 😍
 
I'm surprised noone has mentioned wildlife? There are no owners, and plenty of live animals involved 🙂. At the wildlife hospital where I work the vet tech says that is one of the things she loves about her job.

This doesn't hold true for me. At the wildlife rehab centers I've volunteered at there is a lot of people interaction - people are the ones that bring in the injured animals and most of the time they like you to go into exhaustive detail about what's going to happen to the animal. It can actually get kind of sticky sometimes when the euthanasia topic pops up. There are also a lot of phone calls from people who have found baby birds, want to know if it's okay to feed a raptor hot dogs (which I don't recommend), etc. Also, a lot of the time you end up communicating with other rehab centers, animal control, fish & game, etc. Just sharing my two cents on working with wildlife in general, it may be different at your wildlife hospital 🙂