Veterinary abroad programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfbird

Rat Wrangler
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am looking into the VIDA Veterinary abroad program, but I am realizing that is is going to be really expensive (about 3,000 after flights) and I'm not sure I can spare the money to do it.

I've heard of RAVS, but there are only waitlisted programs available this summer. I've also heard of the Ester Honey Foundation, but their website is so convoluted and disorganized that it makes me wary of the organization of their trips.

I haven't been able to find anything else that offers Veterinary programs abroad. If anyone has had any experiences with other programs or knows of some I'd love to hear.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I participated in a study abroad program through global learning semesters. I went to Belize and worked with two vets out there, one large animal and the other wildlife. We got to do A LOT! I will spare the details, but PM me for them if ya want.

The downside is that it's a pretty expensive trip (3000 range)... however, it's totally worth every penny. It's a 4 week trip and you'll get to see an amazing country and get GREAT exposure to not only international vet med, but just vet med in general.

I've also heard of the Ester Honey Foundation, but their website is so convoluted and disorganized that it makes me wary of the organization of their trips.

I think that you will find that when you travel to other countries, not just the South Pacific, things are a little (or a lot) more relaxed, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants, disorganized, what have you. It's a cultural thing. You will need to be flexible no matter where you go.

Offhand, I know there are a bunch of places in Thailand that seek volunteers. In this, Google is your friend. As fair warning, these places, like the Esther Honey Foundation, are an organize-it-yourself venture. You are responsible for arranging your own travel, food, lodging, etc. In exchange for not having to pay someone $3000, I think that's a pretty good deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever I google it I can usually only find abroad programs that just ship people out to wherever for whatever and it just seems like a big company that really doesn't know what/where they're sending their people out for and they just want your money first. So I've sort of given up on that as I seem to not know exactly how to search.

I am looking for dedicated small programs that have run these trips multiple times before, to me the Vida program is the best example. I can never seem to find these through google.

Hmm, yes, flexibility. I guess I am so used to planning out everyday of my life that when I can't find a list of trip dates on a website it alarms me. I'll go ahead and email them or more info, it seems like that's the best way to get info on the Ester Honey foundation.

3000 for 4 weeks doesn't seem too bad (compared to the same price for less that 2 weeks with Vida), did that include flight?

Thanks all for your help so far. :)

it did not include the flight, and the price of the flight varies depending on where you are coming from and when you purchase the ticket.

Hi all,

I've heard of RAVS, but there are only waitlisted programs available this summer.

Thank you!

Hey! if it says "full" it doesnt matter if you're a pre-vet student. they're always looking for help from vet techs and stuff. The only people that have to worry about the limit...are vet students. :) look into it some more. :)

Hey! if it says "full" it doesnt matter if you're a pre-vet student. they're always looking for help from vet techs and stuff. The only people that have to worry about the limit...are vet students. :) look into it some more. :)

The equine trips do require a certain amount of prior service at dog/ cat portions of the program to qualify to go, and you need to pass the test, I think a month? before you leave.

However, if you are a pre-vet, shoot them an e-mail and they may make an exception.

RAVS is a great way to learn a lot, not sleep much, and eat a lot of food.

Here are some Thai places:

Dog Rescue Center Samui
Soi Dog Foundation
Phangan Animal Care - not sure whether they're still going
SCAD Bangkok

I searched using "Thai" and "neuter". As I said before, these aren't activities with organized groups of people going over, it's more of a DIY thing, with you arranging flights, ground transportation, accommodation, food. If this is your first trip abroad, it may be a bit too much. Esther Honey might be easier in that respect, because it's just a flight to Auckland, plus a flight to Rarotonga, which is a pretty small place! I don't think there are "trips" as such for Esther Honey, you just email them and tell them when you'd like to come, get their approval, and book your flights.

Vet Adventure
is based out of the UK and does more organized trips, a fair number to Spain, Greece, East Africa, etc.

I'm not sure how long you are looking to go for. But another organization to check out is World Vets. Most of their trips are only a week long. You have to become a member first, which I think costs something like $40, then the trip fees have quite a range depending on the trip and what kind of accommodations you'll have while there. The trip fee covers them picking you up and taking you to the airport and all of your food and lodging while you are there. Then you also have to get your plane ticket.

http://www.worldvets.org/index.html

I'm going on one of their trips this summer, I'll let everyone here know how it goes!

I went on a trip through Animal Balance http://www.animalbalance.net/ and it was absolutely wonderful. If I had the extra money I would do it again in a heartbeat. They do clinics in South America and I went to the one on the Galapagos Islands. I got to do something to help animals and see one of the most beautiful places on earth, I can't say enough good things about the trip, the program and all the people involved. I plan on helping out again once I graduate vet school.

Wow, thanks for all the links everyone! I am definitely looking into some of these, and did not know about the RAVS volunteer vs. student options so will email them about it. I appreciate all the links, somehow my searches are just awful. :p

I am still considering VIDA because I discovered the wonder of "multi-city" flights that cut the plane cost in half.

I went on RAVS this past March as an assistant/tech. You learn so, so much, and its not expensive at all if you go around your area (I assume you want to go out of the country though since the topic was "abroad"). The only money I spent was half the gas for hitching a ride with someone. If you email Windi, she'll let you know if they're still in need of assistants.

wow, i didn't even realize all the opportunities out there... i'm thinking of maybe doing more than just my one trip (probably the summers between vet school year)...

hmmm thanks for the links everyone!

Yea, I'm going on VIDA this July and used the multi city thing for booking my flight. I got my flights for less than $400 but I did book it over a month ago. I am definitely bookmarking all of these great opportunities you all are listing. Volunteering out of the country for things like this really interests me and I definitely would do more during summer breaks in vet school.....in addition to MarVet too, hehe.

I just wanted to chime in that there may still be some last minute openings on the RAVS trips this summer. I had been wanting to go on a trip but was unable to commit earlier back when there were openings since I didn't know what my exam schedule was going to be for my online classes. I finally got that info and contacted RAVS last week and got lucky, there was a last minute opening for one of the few trips there are within a reasonable driving distance and worked with my exam schedule. So I just spent the last 2 days reading over all the training materials, passed the test tonight, and will be leaving is 5 days for South Dakota!

Even though I am on the lesser end of the experience spectrum, they said I could go as an unlicensed tech/assistant. It sounds like I will get lots of opportunities and hands on experience and learning.

Needless to say, I am very excited! I had to hit the thrift shop today to pick up some more scrubs and also bought an air mattress, so things are coming together. I'll let you know how it goes!

I just wanted to chime in that there may still be some last minute openings on the RAVS trips this summer. I had been wanting to go on a trip but was unable to commit earlier back when there were openings since I didn't know what my exam schedule was going to be for my online classes. I finally got that info and contacted RAVS last week and got lucky, there was a last minute opening for one of the few trips there are within a reasonable driving distance and worked with my exam schedule. So I just spent the last 2 days reading over all the training materials, passed the test tonight, and will be leaving is 5 days for South Dakota!

Even though I am on the lesser end of the experience spectrum, they said I could go as an unlicensed tech/assistant. It sounds like I will get lots of opportunities and hands on experience and learning.

Needless to say, I am very excited! I had to hit the thrift shop today to pick up some more scrubs and also bought an air mattress, so things are coming together. I'll let you know how it goes!

I was at that end of the experience spectrum when I went on my first trip, too. I totally recommend the air mattress. It should not be optional. Most of the time, a spot on the floor is where you will sleep. Those thin sleeping bag mats do not cut it after 16+ hours on your feet.

The technicians and vets are happy to show you what you don't know, and they are cool about it.

I think there are some threads somewhere with more information about RAVS trips, themselves. I know I posted to more than one over the years.

I participated in a study abroad program through global learning semesters. I went to Belize and worked with two vets out there, one large animal and the other wildlife. We got to do A LOT! I will spare the details, but PM me for them if ya want.

The downside is that it's a pretty expensive trip (3000 range)... however, it's totally worth every penny. It's a 4 week trip and you'll get to see an amazing country and get GREAT exposure to not only international vet med, but just vet med in general.

I just recently found out about this program. However, it is through the Institute for Sustainable International Studies Belize (I.S.I.S.). Did you do it through GLS Animal Science program? Is it the same thing? I am completely confused. And was it worth it? how was your experience? I know this was posted over a year ago but I would really appreciated if someone responded back!!!!! Thanks!!!

Does anyone know of any closer abroad programs that will pay me to do something like Vet Med described?

I have trouble getting animal/veterinary experience here and I'm too broke to do weeks worth of work for free :(

i saw that someone already mentioned animal balance. also, check out darwin animal doctors.

http://darwinanimaldoctors.org/

they don't really do organized group trips (though you can organize one yourself and go; i know a group from penn is going this summer) but you can basically email them to set up a volunteer stint for yourself, for whenever is convenient for you. AND you get to go to the galapagos!!

That sounds like a cool program!!!