Veterinary books to start with?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MidnightMoon

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was thinking of buying a book or a couple of books to get me started. Something with like basic terminology or anatomy or anything I can read and study in my spare time and that I can understand. Anyone have any recommendations?
 
Not sure if you are asking as you might be going to vet school in the fall, or looking to learn about the field. If the former check out this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=712668&highlight=reading

If you just want to learn about terminology as an aspiring pre-vet person you can try the illustrated guide to Veterinary medical terminology. I have a used guide I can sell you cheap. PM me if you are interested. Personally I never used it.
 
If you aren't starting vet school, I think the most helpful book to help you get a good understanding of biological processes and an understanding of what's going on in some cases you see very day would be a physiology textbook.

This is the one we used (new edition however) and which I liked quite a bit
http://www.amazon.com/Textbook-Veterinary-Physiology-James-Cunningham/dp/0721689949

If you are starting vet school in the fall, then obviously it will be a benefit to you as well. While studying and understanding anatomy is great, it's more of an exercise in memorization so if you are looking to get a head start, I wouldn't worry about starting on anatomy. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad